• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Meatfreak 2013

With some delay I sowed last sunday, 24 february. First I had doubts to start at all since it was already getting late in season but with all the varieties (thanks to all the great people I traded with!) I wanted to try I had to give it a try
biggrin.png
Keep in mind that the list was over 100 varieties, so I trimmed it down a lot. I intend to keep the 2 strongest plants of each variety except for the Piment d'Espelette. Some seeds are already old like the CGN (±8 years), so I got replacements in case the have popped up in 2 weeks.

zaaischema240213.jpg

The first one to germinate after 3 days was the Coyote Zan White (C. Chinense). The rest followed quickly
IMAG2299.jpg

Now almost a week later 69% has germinated:

7-Pot Brain Strain Yellow 4/4
Aji Panca 3/0
Ampuis 3/3
Ancho 3/3
Bhut Jolokia Mustard F2 3/1
Brito's Mystery Peach F3 3/3
Bubblegum 7 F3 3/2
CGN 16905 3/0
CGN 22796 3/0
Chilhuacle Amarillo 3/3
Chilhuacle Negro 3/3
Chilhuacle Rojo 3/3
Chimayo 9/9
Chinese 5 Color 3/3
Coyote Zan White 3/3
Devil Serrano 3/3
Devil's Tongue White 3/0
Dulce de Espana 3/2
El Oro de Ecuador (PI 585244) 3/3
Elephant's Ear 3/3
Fish Pepper 3/3
Gochu 4/4
Green Chinense 3/0
Guajillo 4/4
Habanero Galapagos Isabella 3/3
Habanero White Giant 3/1
Jalabanero F4 3/2
Jalapeño Apache F3 3/3
Jalapeño Ciclón 3/3
Jalapeño Colima 3/3
Jalapeño Coyame4/4
Jalapeño Craig’s Grande3/3
Jalapeño Dark Red 3/1
Jalapeño Dulce 3/3
Jalapeño Farmers Market Potato 3/2
Jalapeño Fooled You 3/3
Jalapeño Gigantia 3/3
Jalapeño Goliath 3/3
Jalapeño Ixtapa X3R 4/4
Jalapeño Jalapa 3/3
Jalapeño Jalastar 3/3
Jalapeño Mammoth 3/3
Jalapeño Master 2/0
Jalapeño Numex Jalmundo 3/3
Jalapeño PS 11435810 3/3
Jalapeño Tajin 3/3
Jalapeño Zapotec 3/2
Jalapeñona 3/2
Madame Jeanette "Long Strain" 3/3
Maldivian White 3/3
Petenero 3/1
Piment d'Espelette 12/6
Puya 3/0
Rocoto de Seda 3/0
Scotch Bonnet "P. Dreadie Strain" 3/2
Scotch Bonnet Belize 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Foodarama 3/0
Scotch Bonnet Jamaican Indian Red 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Orange "Bahama's Freeport Strain" 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Papa Joe's Mkt 3/0
Scotch Bonnet True Jamaican 3/1
Scotch Bonnet Yellow x 7-Pot Brainstrain Yellow F1 3/0
Sweet Chocolate 3/3
Sweet Pickle 3/3
Trinidad Scorpion Yellow 3/0
Urfa Biber 3/3
Waialua 3/0

The ones in the bottom are mostly the Scotch Bonnets, so they are a bit hard to see on the photo.
IMAG2314.jpg

IMAG2315.jpg

IMAG2316.jpg

Bit to much Chimayo seedlings in one hole
IMAG2317.jpg

IMAG2318.jpg

I re-potted the Chimayo seedlings tonight, I will give away most of them.

Great pepper shots Stefan !

I like the Bonnet photos along with all the Jalapeno varieties.
Some of my Bonnet/Brain's had tails, some were inverted, most were bumpy. Most pods had a firm texture with a hollow sound. Some hotter than others but no scorchers. I'll try to grow out a couple F3's next season.
I happy to see you had other vegetables besides the peppers. Cool tomato harvests...

Great update Stefan. Love the Bonnet varieties. Do you have a favorite? I got Papa Joe's next year and regulars this year. Along with habanero's they have a perfect heat and good taste

ronniedeb said:

Thanks Meatfreak. If you are interested in any of those tomatoes I mentioned in the PM I sent you a while back let me know, I'll send them onto you.

Thanks for the offer, Ronnie but I got more then enough varieties to choose from and I will receive an additional +50 later in season just to make my picking harder for next year :lol:

2gods said:
Looking at all your's Jalapeno, you do have damn many variety.
Recommend me a Jalapeno for my lady, must not be to hot and if it is prolific it would be just perfect :)
saugapepper said:
Actually Stefan, which is your favourite jalapeno this year??!?!?!
I got over 40 varieties, Jes :) So far flavor wise the Jalapeno Dulce has really been my favorite. It's an heat less one but really packed with flavor, good producer also :)

PIC 1 said:
Great pepper shots Stefan !

I like the Bonnet photos along with all the Jalapeno varieties.
Some of my Bonnet/Brain's had tails, some were inverted, most were bumpy. Most pods had a firm texture with a hollow sound. Some hotter than others but no scorchers. I'll try to grow out a couple F3's next season.
I happy to see you had other vegetables besides the peppers. Cool tomato harvests...
Thanks, Greg. I yet have to try your creation but I like how they look nonetheless! If I remember correct it's useless to keep the seeds from these tailed pods separate from the other shaped pods, right? Not sure if I will grow it again next season due to an big cut back in the amount of varieties and plants I wanna have next season. Tomatoes and peppers are best friends, right :) I'm going to try and get an harvest this weekend of my Tomatillo plants. Need to make some of that delicious salsa again :D

wahlee76 said:
Great update Stefan. Love the Bonnet varieties. Do you have a favorite? I got Papa Joe's next year and regulars this year. Along with habanero's they have a perfect heat and good taste
The Scotch Bonnet Jamaican Indian Red really stood out for me with it's sweet and kinda cherry like flavor. I haven't tasted them all yet and the taste can be different from first pods till the one later in season, same counts for the heat.

Great display of your variety Stefan.  I am so jealous of all your jal's. I am gonna still try grow some over the winter. Still have many of your seeds waiting to germinate.  :fireball:

I would love to help grow your Maldivian Orange x Pimenta de Neyde. Maybe we could do another powder for seed swap ? 

Curious about the jalapeno cicion. It looks like a naga ?  :party: 

meatfreak said:

Thanks for the offer, Ronnie but I got more then enough varieties to choose from and I will receive an additional +50 later in season just to make my picking harder for next year :lol:

No problem. 

Wow, Stefan, just........wow..... :party:  :party:  :party:

When I grow up I want to grow like you!

The hot weather finally broke here in NW Louisiana, and it's been raining almost every day for the past 10 days. The Madame Jeanettes are finally beginning to recover from the months of meteorological brutality with a few blossoms. With any luck the killing frost will hold off long enough for us to see some ripe pods:

jeanette001.jpg

romy6 said:
 Great display of your variety Stefan.  I am so jealous of all your jal's. I am gonna still try grow some over the winter. Still have many of your seeds waiting to germinate.  :fireball:

I would love to help grow your Maldivian Orange x Pimenta de Neyde. Maybe we could do another powder for seed swap ? 

Curious about the jalapeno cicion. It looks like a naga ?  :party: 
Sure, Jamie! That sounds like a good deal :) I think you mean the Jalabanero F4 plant 2. Those look indeed like a naga and nothing like a Jalapeno or Red Hab. It's funny I have 2 plants of this variety and both are completely the opposite of each other. Both have their pros and cons. I'm gonna seed these today and do a taste test to see if they are indeed more like a superhot.
IMAG3340JABANERO2.jpg

windchicken said:
Wow, Stefan, just........wow..... :party:  :party:  :party:

When I grow up I want to grow like you!

The hot weather finally broke here in NW Louisiana, and it's been raining almost every day for the past 10 days. The Madame Jeanettes are finally beginning to recover from the months of meteorological brutality with a few blossoms. With any luck the killing frost will hold off long enough for us to see some ripe pods:

jeanette001.jpg
Thanks for sharing this beautiful plant, Gary. If only my plants looked as healthy as yours! Like you I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hope the frost stays away till you got pods first :)

windchicken said:
Thanks Stefan! I appreciate the positive vibes, too...Have a great weekend!
You have a great weekend as well, Gary.

Tonight I seeded the TS CARDI, Jalabanero F4 #2, Scotch Bonnet Freeport Orange and Brito's Mystery Peach. The TS CARDI didn't let me down when it came to flavor, what a winner indeed! Not to hot, but really sweet and fruity. The Jalabanero that looked like a superhot which it clearly isn't. Your average Habanero Red flavor and heat. The SB Freeport Orange was identical to me with the Goat Pepper from last season, same white coating inside and the aroma, wow! The Brito is just a great pepper, really low in heat but all the flavor is there! Still got tons to process and tomorrow I'm gonna pick some ripe Jalapeno's over at my father in law that I can smoke later this week :)

GA Growhead said:
TS cardi yels are yummy!!!
So SB freeport orange = bahamian goat aye? Sounds like a winner to me!
In my opinion they are, not that I mind because it's a delicious variety :) Today I made some Jerk Chicken marinade and added 2 pods and TS cardi, smelled very good.

stickman said:
I'm curious Stefan... do you smoke your Jals to the "Morita" stage or all the way to "Chile Ahumado"? I'm sure you'll do them up tasty!
Last season I almost smoked them for about 10 hours and that resulted in very tasty powder/flakes. So I guess more the Morita stage although 10 hours is to short to call it Morita right? I plan on smoking them for 10 hours again later this week. I had to ask you from my wife which varieties you used in your Mexican blend from last season :lol: guess she really liked it ;)

So the ripe Jalapeno's I picked today. Regular one and Senorita.
IMAG3376.jpg

IMAG3378.jpg

Also went to the garden to get some fresh herbs and spring onions. The Pubescens have really lift off now that it is cooler, to bad I won't be able to harvest some pods I'm afraid.
IMAG3374.jpg

Path is getting a bit overrun by the plants.
IMAG3373.jpg

meatfreak said:
Last season I almost smoked them for about 10 hours and that resulted in very tasty powder/flakes. So I guess more the Morita stage although 10 hours is to short to call it Morita right? I plan on smoking them for 10 hours again later this week. I had to ask you from my wife which varieties you used in your Mexican blend from last season :lol: guess she really liked it ;)

I had to go back and re-read the Wiki page on Chipotles to refresh my memory on how Moritas are made. The point I'd forgotten was that the red-ripe Jalapenos are allowed to dry on the plant (which makes them soft and flabby) before picking them and putting them into the smoke-drying box for several days and stirring them periodically so they smoke-dry evenly.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipotle   Maybe that's why they end up flattened.
So I guess you're right... technically they're not Moritas, but if they taste good and keep well, that's good enough for me!

I'm Glad your wife liked the Chili powder blend last year. The blend I made then was 90 percent a roughly equal blend of seeded, dried, ground Chimayo's, ripe Anaheims, Pasillas and Anchos. The other 10 percent was similarly treated smoked, ripe Jalapenos. Not a very hot blend of chiles, but very flavorful... especially if cooked up in the Tomato-based Chili recipe of your choice with a dash of ground Cinnamon in the Onions when you fry them, and a tablespoon of unsweetened Dutch Cocoa in the sauce. Bon Appetite!

NorwegianChili said:
do you rent farm land or is it your garden ?
I rent the land in the community garden, 240m² for 7 euro a month.

stickman said:

I had to go back and re-read the Wiki page on Chipotles to refresh my memory on how Moritas are made. The point I'd forgotten was that the red-ripe Jalapenos are allowed to dry on the plant (which makes them soft and flabby) before picking them and putting them into the smoke-drying box for several days and stirring them periodically so they smoke-dry evenly.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipotle   Maybe that's why they end up flattened.
So I guess you're right... technically they're not Moritas, but if they taste good and keep well, that's good enough for me!

I'm Glad your wife liked the Chili powder blend last year. The blend I made then was 90 percent a roughly equal blend of seeded, dried, ground Chimayo's, ripe Anaheims, Pasillas and Anchos. The other 10 percent was similarly treated smoked, ripe Jalapenos. Not a very hot blend of chiles, but very flavorful... especially if cooked up in the Tomato-based Chili recipe of your choice with a dash of ground Cinnamon in the Onions when you fry them, and a tablespoon of unsweetened Dutch Cocoa in the sauce. Bon Appetite!
Who has the patience to leave their pods on to dry on the plant ;) also now that it's colder they can start to mold quicker so I need to pick ripe pods more frequent. Although during the day it's still pretty damn good weather so far! Very sunny so that the greenhouse gets warmed up to almost 30°C. Next week it's gonna get a bit colder but that's normal I guess :) Thanks for the ratio on the blend :) Don't have the Anaheims but I'm sure I can replace them with the elephants ear and the Pasilla with the C. Negro. I will let you know if it worked ;)

WalkGood said:
Great Awesome looking Jals Stefan but the real beauty in dat garden is the little Señorita, your daughter I presume helping you pick?
Yeah, Ramon that's my daughter, 18 months old. She's inspecting if I do a proper job, she's not allowed to pick. Wouldn't wanna get her fingers on a brain strain or something that's cracked and get oil on her hands. Then I'm in a fight with the wife ;)

Devv said:
+1 on 435!

And I see lots of color there, glad you have the green house.
I'm glad also, Scott. It's really paying off and just after a week of the big harvest I've already have as many ripe pods again. Think we have another month before we start to get frost at night :)

Made some puree out of my Scotch Bonnets, 2lbs of peppers transformed into 650ml of puree/paste :)

IMAG3386.jpg

IMAG3390.jpg

IMAG3391.jpg

The color is really bright and I'm happy with the result. I had to tweak it a bit since I didn't have agave nectar, so I used regular sugar instead but found it a bit to acidic for my taste so added some more sugar. Next time I will add less vinegar to it.

Back