• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Meatfreak's 2016 GloG

Later as usual, I started the 2016 tonight. Reason for this cause I'm growing out mostly crosses and I don't want to much yield (that I need to process :P) All in all I still ended up with 45 varieties and was aiming for 30... oh well  
icon_lol.gif
 Here is the list.

Bubblegum 7 White F-2
Bubblegum 7 White v2 F-2
Chiltepin Cappuccino
Chupetinha Orange
Gnarly White Habanero
MFPJ10 F-2
MFPJ12 F-2
MFPJ15 F-2
MFPJ18 F-2
MFPJ19 F-2
MFPJ2 F-2
MFPJ21 F-2
MFPJ23 #1 F-3
MFPJ23 #2 F-2
MFPJ24 #2 F-2
MFPJ24 #3 F-2
MFPJ25 F-1
MFPJ26 #1 F-2
MFPJ26 #2 F-2
MFPJ27 F-2
MFPJ28 #2 F-2
MFPJ28 #3 F-2
MFPJ29 F-2
MFPJ3 F-2
MFPJ30 F-2
MFPJ31 F-1
MFPJ32 #1 F-3
MFPJ32 #3 F-2
MFPJ35 F-2
MFPJ36 F-1
MFPJ37 F-1
MFPJ40 F-1
MFPJ41 F-1
MFPJ42 F-1
MFPJ43 F-1
MFPJ44 F-1
MFPJ49 F-1
MFPJ5 F-3
MFPJ9 #1 F-2
MFPJ9 #2 F-2
Numex Jalapeño Lemon Spice
Numex Jalapeño Orange Spice
Numex Jalapeño Pumpkin Spice
PI 441598 x BBG7 F-2
Pimenta Lisa F-4

MFPJ is short for MeatFreak ProJect. These are my crosses/projects. Think I sowed about 500 seeds in total, big numbers on the crosses to see the possible different phenotypes.

OCD Chilehead said:
Very nice specimens Stefan. It's amazing how many phenos and colors that develop off one variety. I'm starting to understand my MOA variations in the past, as well as some F2's varieties that are not even close to the F1's.

Note to self. Grow more of the same variety.

Thanks again for sharing.

Yeah some crosses really give a wide range of colors and shapes, it's just important to grow as many possible plants during F-2 stage to find something you're looking for. From what I've seen over the years, most F-2's are not even close to F-1 they were. Glad I could help you out, I'm not all knowing but it's very interesting material which I trying to learn more about. Seeding is about so soon I can start to sort out the phenotypes I wanna grow next year. Although I had much plants, less spots were filled and the poly wasn't as crowded. Wanna do less again next year but I learned my lesson not to put +5 plants on a spot again. It works for Annuum but not Chinense as their growth is much wider taking away the light and space for the smaller seedlings.

Devv said:
Love the crosses ;)
Thanks for sharing your season. And may your back behave itself!

I still grow the Scotch bonnet/ Indian Red, it's been true ;)
It's a work in progress :) I just saw that you were yeah, it was one of my favorites but in honestly not really bonnet shaped. Did you detect any hints of cherry to when eating or was that just me?  :P

Superhot Sim said:
Some outrageous crosses and phenos Stefan , the bbg7,s are all superb buddy , love them ....
Take care of the back buddy , health comes first my friend....
Congrats on your great work :clap:
Thanks, Sim! More to come next year, decided to grow the white bbg another season out and then spreading it worldwide. Gathered some information on it's growth habit this season, it need a longer season like Pubescens do. This is mostly an issue in the colder climates.

PaulG said:
Geez, Stefan, somehow I missed your grow entirely this season.
Looks like a strong finish with some awesome pods. Good work!

Glad you could caught up after all, Paul :) Have been slacking on the forum a lot as well but it's just very time consuming to upload all pictures while other media are much quicker ;)

Some more shots of the season.

Couple of trays from the last harvest of the season.
20161031_125237.jpg

20161031_125247.jpg
20161031_161456.jpg

20161031_162101.jpg

MFPJ9 #1#2 F-2 peach phenotype
20161021_181619.jpg

MFPJ18 #4 F-2, F-1 was yellow and smooth pods  :rolleyes:
20161025_143145.jpg

MFPJ26 #1#3 F-2
20161021_182648.jpg

Chiltepin Cappuccino, my only harvest of all my plants. They take forever to ripen. The plants are still alive in the polytunnel.
20161019_110107.jpg

MFPJ2 #8 F-2 Chocolate phenotype
20161015_183625.jpg

6lb of Chipotle salt I made.
20161028_100231.jpg

"it's just very time consuming to upload all pictures while other media are much quicker"

That's the main reason I got an extreme membership - I can
easily upload pix from my phone.  The small fee more than pays
for the saved time - if my time is worth anything  :lol:

I see some nice harvests! Congrats on that! ;)

It's a work in progress :) I just saw that you were yeah, it was one of my favorites but in honestly not really bonnet shaped. Did you detect any hints of cherry to when eating or was that just me?  :P

Yeah they're kind of hab shaped, but smooth, more resembling the tepin/lemon drop shape, but larger and hotter, with that hint of cherry as you mentioned. I will continue to grow them :P

OCD Chilehead said:
You Rock! Nice pics.

Chipotle Salt. Sounds delicious! A Chipotle, lime, Tepin salt would taste great.

Nice box of mixed. Ferment or powder? Maybe purée?

Looks fantastic my friend.
Thanks, Chipotle & Lime mmm that does sound good :) Might dry some lime to try it out. The Tepin was a bit low but there are still tons of pods on the plants ripening, slowly but getting there.
All the pods from those boxes were shipped to a good friend of mine that makes sauce. He had a disappointing season due to some struggling earlier in season and I couldnt process all this myself. So this way the pods didn't go to waste.

PaulG said:
"it's just very time consuming to upload all pictures while other media are much quicker"

That's the main reason I got an extreme membership - I can
easily upload pix from my phone.  The small fee more than pays
for the saved time - if my time is worth anything  :lol:

I didn't even know that option was possible in the extreme membership to be honest :) Maybe something for next year ;)

Devv said:
I see some nice harvests! Congrats on that! ;)

Yeah they're kind of hab shaped, but smooth, more resembling the tepin/lemon drop shape, but larger and hotter, with that hint of cherry as you mentioned. I will continue to grow them :P
More then nice, Scott ;) my guess would be I had over 140lb of pods this season as I already shipped of 80lb to friends alone that I could "spare"  :P

Glad to see it still being grown by someone. If you wanna try something new next year let me know ;) I bet you will love the Scotch Brain to.

That's pretty cool. I send pods to those in need as well. This year I didn't have any supers. Next year if all goes well, I'll send out a third of my harvest to friends in here. If all goes as planned. We know how planning and gardening go together.

Scotch Brain is a fantastic pod. Will grow and isolate next year.

That salt blend looks delicious. Will have to look into the steps to make that sometime.

Nice harvest of peppers...beets look great too. I tried to do beets 3 yrs in a row but yields were to poor to continue....love pickled beets.

OCD Chilehead said:
That's pretty cool. I send pods to those in need as well. This year I didn't have any supers. Next year if all goes well, I'll send out a third of my harvest to friends in here. If all goes as planned. We know how planning and gardening go together.

Scotch Brain is a fantastic pod. Will grow and isolate next year.
Yeah I know what you mean, always to much produce of something anyway :D I don't mind sharing of course but I have to trust the people to not do anything with the seeds since 95% of my pods were crosses. The Scotch Brain is an great creation from Greg, it still needs some more work but it has the best of both parents for sure.

Masher said:
That salt blend looks delicious. Will have to look into the steps to make that sometime.

Nice harvest of peppers...beets look great too. I tried to do beets 3 yrs in a row but yields were to poor to continue....love pickled beets.
It's actually quite simple to make, I used an different method this year and it came out different to then last year. I liked last years better so will not puree it again next year. It's not bad but it's not as smokey as I wanted. Luckily I have a couple of pound of homemade Chipotle flakes to so I can blend it up and then its perfect ;)

Yeah beets were a disappointment this season to, normally they have a good size but this year they stayed small. The irony, I thinned them out for the first time ever and I ended up with smaller beets LOL. But I know what the problem was, I grew them in a more shaded bed and it wasn't enough. Yes! Pickled beets are awesome, I love to pickle all kinds of stuff from my harvest and beets are perfect to pickle to.

Devv said:
Wow! 140lb's? No wonder your back hurts :shh:
So a super congrats! :dance:
Yeah lol, thanks. I'm grateful that my dad helped with the final harvest, he did most of it.

Jase4224 said:
That a lot of fruit!! How many plants did you have if you don't mind?
That would be around 600, keep in mind I kept like 6-10 plants at 1 spot so the yield per plant wasn't big in some cases. But that way I was able to see more phenotypes of my crosses. The Chinense did poor with so many plants together but the Annuum don't mind. They don't grow as wide so they don't take away the direct light from smaller plants.

I can see the problem with people spreading your seeds around. Those are your babies. Pepper people are kind, generous, and respectful for the most part, but others are trying to make a killing in the market off others hard work.

Keep doing what you do. Always enjoy the glog.

Thanks for sharing.

Back