• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

MeatHead 2014

Thought I'd start a new glog as my 1st year grow plants have now gone, and all remaining plants are intended for the 2014 season. Currently have growing with hopes of keeping through winter-
Yellow bhut jolokia
Brain strain
Aji limon
Chocolate Trinidad scorpion
Fatalii
Black Hungarian
Chinese 5 colour.
Have all healthy plants bar 1 out of 6 inch pots and in either permanent or semi permanent homes. Due to messing up the labels I'm not sure which is which on the Chinense varieties. Have 1 seedling that was seriously struggling, but it's starting to throw out new leaves so there's hope for it yet. Hoping we either have a mild Winter here, or I can get some lights set up in our spare bedroom to get them through until Spring. Have a few more varieties I have yet to plant, but thinking I may wait til the end of January to start those seeds. 

Anyway, enough babbling. On to some pics!
Green pot is an Aji Limon, bag TBD Chinense, Venus fly trap and pitcher plant on the cooler in the back, cayenne I'm trying to decide whether to OW or not in the red pot and some cilantro in the cup
20131106_163644.jpg

Another couple of TBD Chinense's and the struggling seedling that's popping back (over watering was the cause I think)
20131106_163652.jpg

Chinese 5 colour and 2 more Chinense's
20131106_163700.jpg

Aloe vera and a couple of strawberries for my wife
20131106_163719.jpg

More tbd Chinense's
20131106_163739.jpg

Black Hungarian (already putting out flower buds that are getting pinched off for now)
20131106_163752.jpg

Last 2 Chinense's
20131106_163800.jpg

sp33d said:
Dude awesome glog man..I hope my hydro glog comes out this good...

I'm excited to get some of your pods to enjoy on my camping trip this weekend...
Thanks! Hope you enjoy them. 

LS929 said:
ALL THE PEPPERS!!

Chris your grow is CRAZY!!

I really wish I could of met up at the festival now. I've been looking at the CGN 21500's you have growing and definitely want to get some of those now. They look incredible.

Care to describe the flavor and heat?
Thanks! The CGN21500's are great little peppers. They're not very hot, and have a nice fruity and sweet flavour to them. That's about the best I can do unfortunately, I'm terrible at describing flavours lol.
Quick update before I go finish mowing our property. Need to get it done early as the humidity is here in full force. It's been kicking the temps up from low-mid 90's to having a heat index well over 100. My peppers are still kicking along and putting out new flowers and pods though so can't complain there. Tomatoes are struggling bad, and I have a feeling they won't be coming with us when we move.
While having slowed down a little bit recently, my chocolate scorpions are still producing pretty well. THis pod in particular is going to be one big hot mama jama
20140806_102617.jpg

Ripe scorps ready to pick
20140807_071715.jpg

20140807_071727.jpg

Got some round 2 Bahamian goats ripening
20140806_102803.jpg

After struggling badly all season until bouncing back recently, I finally have pods on my red bhut!
20140806_144303.jpg

Not SB7J has a pod starting to show some colour
20140807_070856.jpg

Yellow bhut. Need to make sure I save some seeds from some of these peppers as my stash is empty
20140807_071708.jpg

SB7J looks like it's going to put out some bigger pods than it did on the first round
20140807_071910.jpg

Not red brain strain is loading up with flowers. If all these set pods I'm going to have some serious heat coming
20140807_072053.jpg

That's all for now. Thanks for looking!

HillBilly Jeff said:
Nice update.  Hope my chocolates kick out as much as yours are.  Looking good.  Where you moving to, Indiana :)
Thanks Jeff. I've been very pleased with how productive the chocolate scorps have been. Definitely thinking of trying to OW at least one then give it a bigger home next year and see what they can do. Hope yours can put out some decent pods for you.
I probably wouldn't mind the Indiana weather right now. The humidity down here is just downright oppressive at the moment. Staying local though, our property is only around 5 minutes drive from where we're at now.

Couple more quick pics from today. Got a nice little harvest before a threatening storm sent me inside. Windchicken's nagabrain's and birgit's lacoto's are still keeping me busy. Still have a ton of birgit's left to pick off the plant as well
20140807_115038.jpg

A slightly bigger than average choc scorp pod. These are going to make a killer smoked powder and sauce
20140807_115204.jpg

Always a welcome sight seeing these in the garden. Though it seems the aphids were knocked back before these appeared. Released the adult ladybugs last week, then noticed the mealybug destroyers not long after, then the aphids were gone. Seems I may have already had the adult stage of the mealybug destroyer already hanging around. If anyone knows anything about the mealybug destroyer's, how big are the adult bugs? I hadn't noticed anything out of the ordinary hanging about 
20140807_124104.jpg

SB7J is loading up again
20140807_124349.jpg

Aji pineapple's everywhere! Definitely going to be some jelly made with these.
20140807_124619.jpg

That's all for today. Thanks for checking in!

The white thing is a mealy bug, ...so take him out!
Looks like you've been reaping what you sowed-well done.
There's a lot of hot in those pics1 My vodka experiment was 2 halved bhuts , a big Brain Strain Yellow, and a 7 Pot Brown halved as well.I brought the temp up to 120, and then let cool slowly in a towel , stuck it in the freezer...and away I went ...for 3 weeks.
So , upon my return...Molten Martini time....a little dirty.
:fireball: :fireball: :fireball:
Well, the Bhut heat was quick, but that damn 7 Pot lagtime, kicked in a after a few overly manly gulps.
:hell:
Whew, the rest of the bottle went in a Red Hot Sauce made with Infinities. :shh:
Getting outta Houston in the AM...
I'll see my patch in New Iberia tomorrow afternoon , lets hope its dried up in the past 2-3 weeks, I started way late but will hopefully have a few Douglah xButch T's ready
Have a good one-
DJ.

gnslngr said:
The white thing is a mealy bug, ...so take him out!
Looks like you've been reaping what you sowed-well done.
There's a lot of hot in those pics1 My vodka experiment was 2 halved bhuts , a big Brain Strain Yellow, and a 7 Pot Brown halved as well.I brought the temp up to 120, and then let cool slowly in a towel , stuck it in the freezer...and away I went ...for 3 weeks.
So , upon my return...Molten Martini time....a little dirty.
:fireball: :fireball: :fireball:
Well, the Bhut heat was quick, but that damn 7 Pot lagtime, kicked in a after a few overly manly gulps.
:hell:
Whew, the rest of the bottle went in a Red Hot Sauce made with Infinities. :shh:
Getting outta Houston in the AM...
I'll see my patch in New Iberia tomorrow afternoon , lets hope its dried up in the past 2-3 weeks, I started way late but will hopefully have a few Douglah xButch T's ready
Have a good one-
DJ.
Thanks DJ. Haven't seen the white bugs for a couple of days now. They've either moved on or something ate them. 
Sounds like a hot vodka there! The aji pineapple and fatalii in mine brought a great flavour to it, with just a touch of heat at the end. Thinking of trying something in rum next, though what I'm not of at the moment. Bonnets and Bahamian goats maybe?

HillBilly Jeff said:
Nice looking pull.  I do envy your OW process.....just don't pull it out of the ground lol.  Wouldn't care for all the heat though.
Thanks Jeff. OW'ing will be completely different for me this winter with the monster plants Gary gave me. No way they'll get in the house or the little greenhouse! Going to be putting a shed behind our house, so may have to rig something up in there.

Devv said:
Wow!

Things are looking way better your way than mine!

Hot and dry here, 100° everyday.

Keep it green!
Thanks Scott. Turns out I definitely was under fertilizing. Started giving them a bit more and they've really taken off again. Temps have been hanging around low-mid 90's here lately, which the plants don't seem to mind too much. Lots of flowers and pods setting so no problem there, just have a couple that start to wilt during the peak of the day then perk back up late afternoon. So far no actual 100+ temps yet this summer, though with the humidity the heat index has been well over that lately. 

thirdcoasttx said:
Good lookin pods buddy
Thanks Daniel. Should hopefully have some MoA's ready for you soon!
Some non pepper news to start with today. We finally have our house on our land! Now we're just hoping the contractors can get the water, electricity and septic all installed nice and quick so we can move in.
20140808_165213.jpg

Pepper time now. The not SB7J has started ripening, and looks like it'll be chocolate, so I have absolutely no idea what it is. The only brown pods I saved seed from last year was for black naga's, and it's definitely not that. Totally confused on this one.
20140808_111837.jpg

Love the colour of the CGN 21500's!
20140808_140902.jpg

Nice bumpy F3 nagabrain
20140808_141153.jpg

Love seeing any beneficial bugs in the garden, though wish these assassins would eat the damn caterpillars!
20140809_094822.jpg

Nice bumpy yellow 7. 
20140809_153157.jpg

Funky bishop's crown pod. 
20140809_194440.jpg

That's all for now. Thanks for looking!

HillBilly Jeff said:
Looks like a big parcel of land you got there.  Should be some awesome gardening!!!  Congrats!

Thanks Jeff! We've got just over 1/2 an acre total, plus an empty lot on both sides so should be nice and quiet. I keep trying to convince the wife to let me buy one of the empty lots for more garden space and to put in a dam I can stock with some bass and bluegills but so far no luck lol.
Devv said:
Congrats on the new home!
Thanks Scott! We can see the light at the end of the tunnel now. Hopefully it'll be only a couple of weeks til moving day.

MeatHead1313 said:

Thanks Jeff! We've got just over 1/2 an acre total, plus an empty lot on both sides so should be nice and quiet. I keep trying to convince the wife to let me buy one of the empty lots for more garden space and to put in a dam I can stock with some bass and bluegills but so far no luck lol.
Thanks Scott! We can see the light at the end of the tunnel now. Hopefully it'll be only a couple of weeks til moving day.

Pond would be awesome!

MeatHead1313 said:

Shoot, buy both lots, put in the dam for fish, but also to irrigate the gardens.  This will also keep neighbors at arm's length....something the wife should like.  You're buying them for her peace of mind ;)

MeatHead1313 said:
Hell yeah! It's something I've always wanted to. Maybe one day. Going to have too much to do with either prepping the ground for an in ground garden, or setting up some raised beds to mess with it now anyway lol.

Go in the ground!  Raised beds are for hippies!  Sorry hippies.

I like hippies.

Does anyone know if there's different strains of yellow 7 pots around? Immature pods on my plant are very pale in colour, while immature pods on the plant I got from windchicken are darker. Both seem to ripen to the same colour though.
Pod on my plant
20140810_083241.jpg

Pod on the plant from windchicken
20140810_095526.jpg

Round 2 for the MoA's is heating up. My 2nd plant has started setting pods, and has a bunch of flowers on it as well
20140811_090831.jpg

Counted roughly 35 pods already formed on the first plant, and looks like it has more just starting to set, as well as more flowers
20140811_091214.jpg

20140811_091222.jpg

20140811_091232.jpg

Red bhut's really growing well now
20140811_090931.jpg

Finally have my first aji chuncho pods forming!
20140811_091324.jpg

Looks like I will be getting more Bonda ma Jacques pods this year
20140811_091534.jpg

Couple of bhuts. Hoping the Indian carbon seeds I got from pepperlover produce better looking pods than these next season
20140811_141111.jpg

Definitely looks like I'll have a bumper 2nd half of the season if I can keep the bugs away. Got flowers and new pods everywhere, but still battling the damn caterpillars, and also now have stink bugs showing up. Does anyone know of a natural way to control stinkbugs? Or if assassin bugs will mess with them? Got assassins everywhere at the moment. Seriously considering trying to grab as many as possible to take with us when it's time to move.

Update pics. Couple of not red brain strain pods. Can't wait to see if these turn out as mean looking as the first round pods
20140811_155120.jpg

Baby chocolate scorpion pod. Have 3 of these plants, and this one had been leading the other 2 at our last place til the damn snails and slugs attacked it. It's kicking back into high gear again now though
20140811_155134.jpg

Interesting looking small yellow 7 pot. Much more squat than the rest of them
20140811_155240.jpg

F1 nagabrain.
20140811_155323.jpg

Unlabelled yellow. Either yellow bhut or fatalii, but pretty sure i's fatalii. Damage from my hornworm attack earlier can be seen too
20140811_155412.jpg

Finally nearly have my first ripe CAP 215! Sorry for the crappy pic
20140812_092246.jpg

Also have my first tepin x lemon drop pod ripening
20140812_092521.jpg

Pulled my first ripe pod off the now Not SB7J. No idea what it is. The pods I pulled seeds from last year may have been OP and I have some crazy cross. No idea. Cut it open, and the aroma was very grassy. Fair bit of oil present so looks like it'll be pretty hot too. Going to give it a taste test after dinner tonight.
20140812_132042.jpg

20140812_132152.jpg

Tried some of the not sb7j after dinner. Only took a bite from the bottom end so got no placenta. Simultaneously sweet, bitter and grassy, with a good kick of heat. Flavour reminded me of green bell peppers, and the heat from what I got was roughly habs level. No doubt with some placenta it'd be above hab level. I've either got an unintentional cross, or (and I've have to see if I can cross check dates for this) I've had seeds from the pods I got from Buzz get mixed in with the sb7j seeds I saved. Flavour was exactly the same as the pods from Buzz's saved seeds.

Back