• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Medical Emergency!!!

Despite carefully nurturing our new additions(Chocolate Bhut, Chocolate Habs, and Red Fatalii)we had a re-emergence of whitefly(from our vendor) and some fungus gnats courtesy of Lowes.(this is why I grow with hydroponics!!)
We hate pesticides, but since our plan is to keep these vegetative and then clone them out to hydro over the winter we decided an organic spray would be OK.
We opted for Organocide:
ORG702.jpg

Despite a light, evening application, I awoke this morning to find it burned the plant tops and damaged much of the surface of the leaves.
I filled a sprayer with RO water and carefully attempted to "wash" each leaf and stem as best I could, although the product is mostly fatty oils.
I have moved them to an area without direct exposure to the sun to minimize any negative effects that may have.
If anyone has any experience with emergency medical response for peppers please drop me a line!!!
Thanks in advance for any help. :(
EDIT to add images:
100_6313-300x225.jpg

100_6314-300x225.jpg

Go to a hydroponic store and buy Beneficial Nematodes. They come in a sponge and you water them into the soil. They will rid your soil of all larva and your problem will go away. It may take a couple of application over a few weeks to get em all but that is the best sure fire way to clean the soil without adding chemicals.

You may also want to try a bit of tanglefoot around the stem and pot edges to catch and trap all the adults as they emerge.

I still haven't gotten rid of fungus gnats, even while using enough BTi to poison a horse.
I gave up, but I kinda think that the recent dry-hot spell has quelled them.

I have yet to try the nematodes, although I used to have success with the BTI product Knock-out-Gnats. I would use a solution of that to initially wet my soil mixes prior to planting. Unfortunately they have not renewed their pesticide application with NYS so I can no longer get it. I have made my own previously by crushing up "doughnuts" but it's a pain and it's just to damn easy to grow with hydro!
Anyway, I'm good with the bugs, just want to get a feel for if there is any hope these plants will come back after this burn...

I use Organocide, although I use the concentrate. I had the same issue with leaf burn even when mixing to the label directions. I also had some leaf curl. It took a few days, but it all resolved and the plants recovered nicely. Dont sweat it,

I don't understand why it would burn the leaves on it's own. Did you apply it in the sun or let the sun get to them while the leaves were still wet?

I wouldn't use it again personally.

I don't understand why it would burn the leaves on it's own. Did you apply it in the sun or let the sun get to them while the leaves were still wet?

I wouldn't use it again personally.

Didn't use in the sun. Well for several weeks I stared at the bare stalks of my chiles in complete dismay. One day I returned from work to notice an inter node was starting to push a stipule! Now there are leaves on each plant once again. Thank the Pepper Gods!!!

IMG00209-20100924-1132.jpg

IMG00208-20100924-1131.jpg

Still have fungus gnats raping my soil mix. I have a new seed lot started indoors and refuse to bring them in contaminated. I purchased some BTI dunks and will be making up some of my own solution to flush with prior to bringing indoors. I also bought some fly tape for the adults.

So we mixed up a quarter doughnut and added to a nice dose of Flora Nova Grow with great results. Adults have dissipated and hopefully another treatment will finish off any newbies on their way up.

I can't say how excited I am that these babies made a come back!!! So excited in fact we got inspired to celebrate the fall harvest season with a carving contest on our blog. Feel free to check it out, winner gets a 10% off coupon to Sunlight Solutions.

Thanks for all the help everyone! We'll get more pics up as they continue to rebound!

My babies continue to recover! Some pics as promised:

The Chocolate Habs are a bit wilted due to the massive monsoon rains we just had and the drastic swing in temp,s but I am pleased to say the least!!
100_6421.JPG

100_6420.JPG

100_6422.JPG

100_6423.JPG

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!!

Back