• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Megamoo's 2012/2013 Glog

I'm in a new house with much more space, better sheltered areas for plants and hopefully less disease in the environment. Unless I win the lottery and buy myself a mansion I'm good to stay here for a long time. The landlord knows about and is cool with the fluorescent light grow setups in the garage, and is happy for me to transform the outside into a chilli jungle. All signs point to a good season ahead.

Winter has just begun, and I've got the germinating and growing on stations setup. Chilli seeds are in the post flying to my door.

This is the current seed list I have to choose from, including varieties ordered but yet to arrive.

7 Pot Brainstrain
7 Pot Yellow
Aji Amarillo
Aji Cristal
Aji Lemon
Aji Panca
Aji Pineapple
Anaheim
Antillais Caribbean
Aribibi Gusano
Baccio De Satana
Bahamian Bird Pepper
Bahamian Goat Pepper
Beni Highlands
Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia x Habanero White Giant
Bhut Jolokia x Pimenta De Neyde
Big Jim
Bih Jolokia
Bishop's Crown
Black Prince
Blondie
Brazillian Pumpkin
Brazillian Starfish
Burke's Backyard Thai Chilli
Capsicum Californian Wonder
Capsicum Giant Bell
Capsicum Hungarian Yellow Wax Hot
Capsicum Sweet Banana
CGN 21469
Chihuacle Negro
Chilaca Pasilla
Chilli Cayenne Gold
Chilli Cayenne Red
Chilli Costa Rica
Chilli Habanero Red
Chilli Jalapeno
Chilli Poblano
Cochiti
Congo Brown
Corno Di Torro Rossi
Datil
Datil x Lemon
Dorset Naga
Douglah
Earbob
Early Jalapeno
Explosive Ember
Fatalii
Filipino Bell Pepper
Fresno
Giant Jalapeno
Goatsweed
Guampinha De Veado
Habanero Big Sun
Habanero Peach
Habanero Red
Hot Cherry
Hot Fish
Hot Pepper
Hot Wax
Hungarian Black
Jalapeno
Jalapeno Tam
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet
Jimmy Nardello
Joe's Long
Joker's Hat
Limo Blanco
Magnum Habanero
Manzano Amarillo
Maraca
Mystery Pepper
Naga Jolokia Purple
Naga Morich
Nagabon
Numex Twilight
Orange Habanero
Orange Lantern
Peppadew
Peruvian White Habanero
Peter Pepper Orange
Peter Pepper Red
Pimenta De Neyde
Pimenta Di Bico
Piquillo
Purple Tiger
Pusa Jwala
Red Hot Cherry
Rocoto Peru Bitumi
Scotch Bonnet TFM
Serrano
Siling Labuyo
Tabasco
Takanotsume
Thai Cayenne
Thai Orange
Thai Prik Mann
Thai Yellow
Topaz Chilli
Trinidad 7Pot Jonah
Trinidad Perfume
Trinidad Scorpion
Trinidad Scorpion (stingerless)
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
Uyababa
Vietato
Wasp
White Labuyo
Wild Tepin
Zapotec Jalapeno

Many of these are just one or two seeds leftover from old stock and I won't be planting everything. A lot of the ornamentals will be getting just one plant. I'm might still get some more 7pots and superhot varieties.

The garden beds need a little work, and retic needs to be sorted but I've got a few months to do that. I'll post pictures when I have them.

lots of oil on that jonah!!! :shocked: must be reeeal hot :pray: Nice renovation on your fence/yard too mega. Much more growing space for you eh?

At least you're getting pods off your plants. Those little bugs are bastards. Sometimes whacking the top off the plant or at least cutting the growing tips back helps, somewhat. The aphids and mites thrive on the tender new waxy growth

Agreed Moo, pull the shadecloth down its not needed now & all its doing its knocking off flowers & making it hard for the plant to grow.

What`s the white stuff on your leaves? not calcium from the tapwater is it?

Mezo.
The long range forecast is saying 40C on sunday. Doesn't sound right to me but I'll leave it up until then.

The white stuff is residue from lime sulfur spray. Apparently the lime sulfur residue stays dangerous for the predator mites so I changed to wettable sulfur which isn't as bad for the good bugs and doesn't leave white marks on the leaves, and it doesn't stink of rotten eggs as much either. Just came inside after giving them one more drenching. I'll go prunning and cleaning the plants up later and then get some bug soldiers on the case.

lots of oil on that jonah!!! :shocked: must be reeeal hot :pray: Nice renovation on your fence/yard too mega. Much more growing space for you eh?
I've only had a taste but yes they are really hot pods!
Thanks. My reach exceeded my grasp though. I packed in twice as many plants as I should have. In truth I've never had such good growth from chillies and I never expected them to fill the space up like they have!

At least you're getting pods off your plants. Those little bugs are bastards. Sometimes whacking the top off the plant or at least cutting the growing tips back helps, somewhat. The aphids and mites thrive on the tender new waxy growth
Saw a few plants just then with aphids clustered in and around the new growth. It seems the ants have pulled the trigger and are going into aphid farming mode :rolleyes: I've definitely got the urge to get out there with a machete and cut the bad crap off.

Jonah pods look like pure evil.

That's not a knife... THAT'S A KNIFE!

Damn those bud worms to hell!

I'm keeping most of the jonahs in the freezer for a killer sauce later in the season.

Damn...you're growing peppers right...not trees? 'Cause its looking like the other way around! Great stuff Mega, keep it coming!

Damn...you're growing peppers right...not trees? 'Cause its looking like the other way around! Great stuff Mega, keep it coming!
It is awesome stuff :D

It sounds greedy but for their size they should have more pods. There is probably a bit too much N in the sheep manure/ mushroom compost mix. I'm going to give them a foliar spray with some P and K heavy stuff today.

Love vid , u need a beer in ur hand , helps steady the camera ;)
Yoooze right! I gits the shakes somefin awful if I ain't downed a slab by lunch :drunk:

Yesterdays harvest. I picked everything with a hint of colour on it. The amount of pods discarded for bugs or rot was around 15%
todaysharvest003_zpsfde78196.jpg

Felt a bit artsy with the super macro.
todaysharvest006_zps29eb0e55.jpg

"What are the varieties of different pods?" I hear you say. ;)

Funny you should ask because I spent a few hours learning how to do lots of different comic speech bubbles in Photoshop.
harvestcartoon_zpsce88d9ab.jpg

That's hilarious!
Lol. I enjoyed that. I always enjoy see Photoshop used humorously!
Lol should have one with a grub bubble lol
Awesome pictures, great work!
Made my night with that Mega. Totally hilarious. Especially the Magnum PI havent seen that in a while. :rofl: :rofl:

I'm trying to help my daughter make a comic. She's taken all the pictures of her lego people and storyboarded it so I had to practice the speech bubble thing.

I will have to do a horror one featuring the death of many grubs ;)

Magnum Habanero P.I... :rofl: I'm seriously considering growin' 'em just so I can call 'em that! :D Awesome creativity, moo moo. :cool:

Oh yeah, love the artsy pic too.

Nice, MM, love the bubbles! LMAO!
Meanwhile back in da kitchen...BAM! POW! :rofl: Nice pull Mega!!! :dance:

Go hug a tree weaka$$ yellow! :rofl:
Yo... Nightmare on Moo street! :rofl:
That might be a project worth doing. :D

Hahahaa...very entertaining, and nice closeup photography
Magnum Habanero P.I... :rofl: I'm seriously considering growin' 'em just so I can call 'em that! :D Awesome creativity, moo moo. :cool:

Oh yeah, love the artsy pic too.
M8 42 Sunday maybe leave the cloth on
Thanks everyone :)

I know Kev ! WTF is with that. It's been 30 -34 for weeks then the heat comes back for another burn. I hope this is last of the nastiness.

Since I picked everything nothing much to harvest. Except this little fella
Cheiro White
stnf007_zpsb6663ceb.jpg

I'm pretty sure they are meant to be bigger than this. All the pods on the plant are the same tho?

A pod on my Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Yellow ripening.... straight to orange-red :eh:
stnf009_zps790a63df.jpg

stnf013_zps54386939.jpg

I don't think I mislabelled them but my TS Moruga Red plant has pods that look almost like Red Habaneros. Both lots of seeds were from a reputable vendor.

Mystery pepper from Lavatung
stnf015_zps65db6384.jpg

It doesn't look like much but the damn thing is heavy! You sort of expect to hear an echo sound from some pods because they feel light and empty inside. Not this one. It feels really dense and full. I'll let it ripen on the bench then cut it open and see what lies within

I might post this in a separate thread but does anyone know what these bugs are?
stnf004_zpse75a0fe2.jpg

I get the feeling they are bad bugs. The ants have gone and pressed the giant red button and launched aphid nukes into everything. Every random leaf I turn over has a good chance of having some aphids under it. The garden is far too dense to be able to spray effectively so I'm going to enlist some bug soldiers to fight for me. Found a ladybug inside today so I gave it a nice new home where it can eat its heart out.

Back