• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Megamoo's 2012/2013 Glog

I'm in a new house with much more space, better sheltered areas for plants and hopefully less disease in the environment. Unless I win the lottery and buy myself a mansion I'm good to stay here for a long time. The landlord knows about and is cool with the fluorescent light grow setups in the garage, and is happy for me to transform the outside into a chilli jungle. All signs point to a good season ahead.

Winter has just begun, and I've got the germinating and growing on stations setup. Chilli seeds are in the post flying to my door.

This is the current seed list I have to choose from, including varieties ordered but yet to arrive.

7 Pot Brainstrain
7 Pot Yellow
Aji Amarillo
Aji Cristal
Aji Lemon
Aji Panca
Aji Pineapple
Anaheim
Antillais Caribbean
Aribibi Gusano
Baccio De Satana
Bahamian Bird Pepper
Bahamian Goat Pepper
Beni Highlands
Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia x Habanero White Giant
Bhut Jolokia x Pimenta De Neyde
Big Jim
Bih Jolokia
Bishop's Crown
Black Prince
Blondie
Brazillian Pumpkin
Brazillian Starfish
Burke's Backyard Thai Chilli
Capsicum Californian Wonder
Capsicum Giant Bell
Capsicum Hungarian Yellow Wax Hot
Capsicum Sweet Banana
CGN 21469
Chihuacle Negro
Chilaca Pasilla
Chilli Cayenne Gold
Chilli Cayenne Red
Chilli Costa Rica
Chilli Habanero Red
Chilli Jalapeno
Chilli Poblano
Cochiti
Congo Brown
Corno Di Torro Rossi
Datil
Datil x Lemon
Dorset Naga
Douglah
Earbob
Early Jalapeno
Explosive Ember
Fatalii
Filipino Bell Pepper
Fresno
Giant Jalapeno
Goatsweed
Guampinha De Veado
Habanero Big Sun
Habanero Peach
Habanero Red
Hot Cherry
Hot Fish
Hot Pepper
Hot Wax
Hungarian Black
Jalapeno
Jalapeno Tam
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet
Jimmy Nardello
Joe's Long
Joker's Hat
Limo Blanco
Magnum Habanero
Manzano Amarillo
Maraca
Mystery Pepper
Naga Jolokia Purple
Naga Morich
Nagabon
Numex Twilight
Orange Habanero
Orange Lantern
Peppadew
Peruvian White Habanero
Peter Pepper Orange
Peter Pepper Red
Pimenta De Neyde
Pimenta Di Bico
Piquillo
Purple Tiger
Pusa Jwala
Red Hot Cherry
Rocoto Peru Bitumi
Scotch Bonnet TFM
Serrano
Siling Labuyo
Tabasco
Takanotsume
Thai Cayenne
Thai Orange
Thai Prik Mann
Thai Yellow
Topaz Chilli
Trinidad 7Pot Jonah
Trinidad Perfume
Trinidad Scorpion
Trinidad Scorpion (stingerless)
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
Uyababa
Vietato
Wasp
White Labuyo
Wild Tepin
Zapotec Jalapeno

Many of these are just one or two seeds leftover from old stock and I won't be planting everything. A lot of the ornamentals will be getting just one plant. I'm might still get some more 7pots and superhot varieties.

The garden beds need a little work, and retic needs to be sorted but I've got a few months to do that. I'll post pictures when I have them.

I've found a lot of "yellow" varieties turn a tint of "orange" in the Australian sun, its not an exact thing. One of my moruga yellows on the other hand is definitely orange and not remotely yellow. So its a mixed up seed or a cross or mutation etc.

The pods on my Beni Highlands plants for the most part were only exposed to early morning sunlight. They don't go through a phase that I would label lemon yellow. ChilePlants.com had an description of the C.chinense Limón colour as being bright yellow that matched my observations.

Love the pictures of your garden, everything is looking good. That's a raised bed that is built to last! It's great you have a land lord that lets you have that many plants. Keep up the good work.
Thanks StupidJerk. (feels really strange typing that :P ) I'm already trying to figure out how to get the soil in the raised bed ready for next season. It's not something I've had to do before. Maybe dump loads of compost on it?

The pods on my Beni Highlands plants for the most part were only exposed to early morning sunlight. They don't go through a phase that I would label lemon yellow. ChilePlants.com had an description of the C.chinense Limón colour as being bright yellow that matched my observations.
Well mine are looking bright yellow to me :P I suppose its too much to expect an exact colour from something so organic, its not like a paint catalogue. I'll take some good pictures in different light conditions when I pick them. With a tiny photoshop tweak I could make them blue. Who's to say the people making a website selling a chilli don't alter the colour in their pictures to make it as appealing as possible. It could even happen unintentionally with camera settings or lighting or whatever. Vendors obviously have an obligation to accurately describe their product but they are just people and the term `yellow` is very broad. Lots of wiggle room there.

I'm having problems with my camera at the moment. I'm just not getting accurate photos, I'm pretty sure I messed up something when I dropped it. Took about twenty photos just to get these two, messing with settings.

Bhut Jolokia. This is just the beginning of a pod rush hopefully, there is a whole lot of green ready to turn.
bhutjolokia_zps82377bf5.jpg

Dorset Naga. Right in the middle of a pod rush but I had to throw out more than this many due to eggplant worm damage. Bloody things really did a number on this plant. That's why I picked anything with a bit of colour. Best pic I could get.
DorsetNaga_zps4fea4b1f.jpg

I might go out with some bug spray to see if I can catch the evil sods in the dark.

I would dump loads of compost and manure on it, maybe mix in some straw if you can and cover it in a top mulch, maybe straw also. This is what one of the other forum members recommended I do, Trippa I think. He recommended lucern straw and mushroom compost specifically.

Lookin good moo have u took out grub looking ones, I just chucked 6 plants and about three kilos of pods, anything suss gone.
I'm finding if soft or a clear spot it's all over :(

I work compost into my beds all winter. Not only does it help improve the soil, it can actually help break down any nasties that may be hiding in there. I would have it tested and add what's recommended. Only thing to be careful of there...they may recommend you up your PH, but peppers like it low.

I would dump loads of compost and manure on it, maybe mix in some straw if you can and cover it in a top mulch, maybe straw also. This is what one of the other forum members recommended I do, Trippa I think. He recommended lucern straw and mushroom compost specifically.
It remains to be seen whether the plants die off during winter or not, its my first season in this house and I don't know how cold that area gets. My guess is the production will probably slow to a crawl and although the plants are still alive I'll have to pick a time to cut everything down, turn the soil and dig in manure and compost.

That is quite a bit of fire power right there! Man you have been in the wars with them bugs this season! Great looking stash!
Thanks.

Lookin good moo have u took out grub looking ones, I just chucked 6 plants and about three kilos of pods, anything suss gone.
I'm finding if soft or a clear spot it's all over :(
That's just the good uns. Been chucking lots of bad uns.

I work compost into my beds all winter. Not only does it help improve the soil, it can actually help break down any nasties that may be hiding in there. I would have it tested and add what's recommended. Only thing to be careful of there...they may recommend you up your PH, but peppers like it low.
Compost seems to be the best stuff.

87f82358ffde59c5a4f93d0af3eac8fb_zps94ee2250.jpg

Mr moo I have cream :)
Niice :D Is that another one in the background too?

Quick update:
Most of my senior plants have stalled production for some reason. It's got me a bit worried because there's no obvious reason for it. I'm thinking maybe they aren't used to the full sun they've been getting since I took the shadecloth off. The weather is just now starting to cool down and I would have left it up except they were growing into it.
Or perhaps the manure and compost that was in the bed from the beginning is all used up.
Gave them some foliar seasol and powerfeed yesterday, and some aerated worm juice onto the soil today. Hopefully will see a good reaction.

The exceptions are two Bhut Jolokia plants that are loaded with green gnarliness, and the youngest chinenses are putting their first pods out. The row of pots along the fence are disappearing beneath the grass :P I'm planning to fix them up this saturday and go to the fremantle chilli festival on the sunday. That's my two day no kid window!

The people who breed parasitic aphid killing wasps never got back to me, but the good news is that ladybugs have multiplied and are all over my plants, aphid populations are down. Yesterday I stood and watched one systematically grab and devour baby aphids :D Damn near gave me a chubby ;)

Just got a new SLR camera (second hand new :P ) . A canon eos 450D. Takes great photos on automatic, but only ever had point and shoot cameras so I'm still learning how to use all the settings. Of course the garden is doing nothing so no pictures to post, but I'm busy cooking a curry for the throwdown so I'll post pictures of that soon.

It seems the bugs are hitting everyone real hard this season. Sucks. Hope the ladybugs take care of your aphids mooman. One thing a lot of people forget about when their plants stall is are the roots. Any possible issues there?

Choppin 'em all down while still kicking...sad. You going to dig any up to overwinter?
They'll still produce for a few months yet. I wasn't going to ty to overwinter any because of all the aphid action. Better to start fresh next serason.

It seems the bugs are hitting everyone real hard this season. Sucks. Hope the ladybugs take care of your aphids mooman. One thing a lot of people forget about when their plants stall is are the roots. Any possible issues there?
It really could be anything. Might be my imagination but they look greener and happier today after the fertilise. I did notice that on the street side of the fence some nasty prickle making weeds have exploded and spread all across the ground. They have obviously tapped into the good soil and regular watering my chillies enjoy. Another job to pull them all up. I'll have to do it in case the council decide to come along and drench it all in glyphosate. I can only hope they don't care enough yet.

Did this on the weekend for the throwdown, with me new camera too :)
Curry_0364_zps403e7143.jpg

If you want to see more you should head over to the throwdown thread to check out all the entries and vote. Warning!... If you like curry your mouth will water ;)
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/37874-vote-curry-throwdown/

Dang it Mega!!! I came over here to get away from the deliciousness because I am freaking starving in my barracks with only a microwave and a few hot pockets, too many Heinekens in me to go out for food and eff walking...You, Greg, Rick, Megan, Sum...heck every dish on there was amazing looking. I tried licking my screen, but it ain't helping.

Good call on ditching the plants with the nasties. I hope I can actually get a chance to overwinter a few this year. I get real good growth with my long season, so second year plants would be bruts and maybe even give me a few fresh pods in my off months.

It remains to be seen whether the plants die off during winter or not, its my first season in this house and I don't know how cold that area gets. My guess is the production will probably slow to a crawl and although the plants are still alive I'll have to pick a time to cut everything down, turn the soil and dig in manure and compost.

Thanks.

That's just the good uns. Been chucking lots of bad uns.

Compost seems to be the best stuff.

Niice :D Is that another one in the background too?

Quick update:
Most of my senior plants have stalled production for some reason. It's got me a bit worried because there's no obvious reason for it. I'm thinking maybe they aren't used to the full sun they've been getting since I took the shadecloth off. The weather is just now starting to cool down and I would have left it up except they were growing into it.
Or perhaps the manure and compost that was in the bed from the beginning is all used up.
Gave them some foliar seasol and powerfeed yesterday, and some aerated worm juice onto the soil today. Hopefully will see a good reaction.

The exceptions are two Bhut Jolokia plants that are loaded with green gnarliness, and the youngest chinenses are putting their first pods out. The row of pots along the fence are disappearing beneath the grass :P I'm planning to fix them up this saturday and go to the fremantle chilli festival on the sunday. That's my two day no kid window!

The people who breed parasitic aphid killing wasps never got back to me, but the good news is that ladybugs have multiplied and are all over my plants, aphid populations are down. Yesterday I stood and watched one systematically grab and devour baby aphids :D Damn near gave me a chubby ;)

Just got a new SLR camera (second hand new :P ) . A canon eos 450D. Takes great photos on automatic, but only ever had point and shoot cameras so I'm still learning how to use all the settings. Of course the garden is doing nothing so no pictures to post, but I'm busy cooking a curry for the throwdown so I'll post pictures of that soon.
Hi Moo, I think your temps are probably hotter than ours here in SA, but I experienced the same thing. I had two grow areas this year. One "Inside: under shadenetting all round and one outside (unprotected). When transplanting plants that were thriving from the Inside area to the outside area, the plants would go into shock. The sun frazzled them and for a week or two they would struggle. But once they take again... they will go crazy. I used seagrow pellets mixed in the soil around the base of the plant... they needed that injection of nutrients to get over the shock. It worked out in the end :) Good luck!

Hi Moo, I think your temps are probably hotter than ours here in SA, but I experienced the same thing. I had two grow areas this year. One "Inside: under shadenetting all round and one outside (unprotected). When transplanting plants that were thriving from the Inside area to the outside area, the plants would go into shock. The sun frazzled them and for a week or two they would struggle. But once they take again... they will go crazy. I used seagrow pellets mixed in the soil around the base of the plant... they needed that injection of nutrients to get over the shock. It worked out in the end :) Good luck!
Hopefully they will produce another spurt of pods. The framework is all there.

Moo , a good clean dish ur quite the cook, going the xtra step and making the dumplings shud get u over the line :)
Thanks for the vote :)

Well actually the extra dishes are looked down upon but I thought it was going to be just Asian, and at the last moment it changed to Curry. Had the ingredients so I made them anyway :P

M8 did u neck the rest of the sake ?

M8 dumpling ain't extra is required and good use of what u had
Nah couldn't get shitfaced drunk I had little ones to look after. You ever had sake? It's got a mouldy funk to it, strange stuff. It's like strong beer or weak wine, or watered down spirits. I read that you are only supposed to heat it if its crappy quality.

I think the garden's shock at being in full sun has eased and they are all looking much better. Bugs are still taking a toll but there is healthier growth and newer pods. Bees are getting busy, and ladybugs are multiplying and are destroying the aphids. :D

Took some pics with my new camera. Played around with the raw files dragging sliders to make the pics look better without a good idea of what I'm doing, but most of the pods aren't ripe, so its all a field of green. :P

Bhut Jolokia
Gardentime_05Mar2013_0036_zpse0134f78.jpg

Gardentime_05Mar2013_0022_zps0ab2f5b3.jpg

7Pot Yellow
Gardentime_05Mar2013_0032_zps0ea4ebec.jpg

Gardentime_05Mar2013_0028_zpsa5a77f8b.jpg

I didn't mess with the colour too much though. That Yellow 7Pot is actually orange.

First Fataliis
Gardentime_05Mar2013_0018_zps4f99bfbf.jpg

Moruga Scorpion Yellow
Gardentime_05Mar2013_0012_zps1173345e.jpg

There was a third pod on this bush but was bug attacked :(

Cheiro White
Gardentime_05Mar2013_0030_zps7d76225a.jpg

Others
Gardentime_05Mar2013_0013_zpsaa474107.jpg

I did another video update but its all green so not worth uploading. Still

Dang it Mega!!! I came over here to get away from the deliciousness because I am freaking starving in my barracks with only a microwave and a few hot pockets, too many Heinekens in me to go out for food and eff walking...You, Greg, Rick, Megan, Sum...heck every dish on there was amazing looking. I tried licking my screen, but it ain't helping.

Good call on ditching the plants with the nasties. I hope I can actually get a chance to overwinter a few this year. I get real good growth with my long season, so second year plants would be bruts and maybe even give me a few fresh pods in my off months.
Thanks for the comments :) It wasn't an lazy throwdown for sure! Everyone brought their A game.

I'm really hoping to see 3 months of high production before things shutdown but haven't been in this position in the season before, or in this garden so its all a learning curve.

Great pics as always ...
I gotta tell ya, your dish was right up there (tied) with Greg’s in my book. Love that soy dipping sauce, I keep one in da fridge year round and always add more peppers when the heat level comes down. Great job mon!!!!

Edit 1:On another note, I'm out of my share of "like this," thanks THP ;), so I've made a note to come back and push that button 5 times :)
Edit 2: back and done dat ... great job and now off to eat something as I'm starving :D

Back