• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Megamoo's 2012/2013 Glog

I'm in a new house with much more space, better sheltered areas for plants and hopefully less disease in the environment. Unless I win the lottery and buy myself a mansion I'm good to stay here for a long time. The landlord knows about and is cool with the fluorescent light grow setups in the garage, and is happy for me to transform the outside into a chilli jungle. All signs point to a good season ahead.

Winter has just begun, and I've got the germinating and growing on stations setup. Chilli seeds are in the post flying to my door.

This is the current seed list I have to choose from, including varieties ordered but yet to arrive.

7 Pot Brainstrain
7 Pot Yellow
Aji Amarillo
Aji Cristal
Aji Lemon
Aji Panca
Aji Pineapple
Anaheim
Antillais Caribbean
Aribibi Gusano
Baccio De Satana
Bahamian Bird Pepper
Bahamian Goat Pepper
Beni Highlands
Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia x Habanero White Giant
Bhut Jolokia x Pimenta De Neyde
Big Jim
Bih Jolokia
Bishop's Crown
Black Prince
Blondie
Brazillian Pumpkin
Brazillian Starfish
Burke's Backyard Thai Chilli
Capsicum Californian Wonder
Capsicum Giant Bell
Capsicum Hungarian Yellow Wax Hot
Capsicum Sweet Banana
CGN 21469
Chihuacle Negro
Chilaca Pasilla
Chilli Cayenne Gold
Chilli Cayenne Red
Chilli Costa Rica
Chilli Habanero Red
Chilli Jalapeno
Chilli Poblano
Cochiti
Congo Brown
Corno Di Torro Rossi
Datil
Datil x Lemon
Dorset Naga
Douglah
Earbob
Early Jalapeno
Explosive Ember
Fatalii
Filipino Bell Pepper
Fresno
Giant Jalapeno
Goatsweed
Guampinha De Veado
Habanero Big Sun
Habanero Peach
Habanero Red
Hot Cherry
Hot Fish
Hot Pepper
Hot Wax
Hungarian Black
Jalapeno
Jalapeno Tam
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet
Jimmy Nardello
Joe's Long
Joker's Hat
Limo Blanco
Magnum Habanero
Manzano Amarillo
Maraca
Mystery Pepper
Naga Jolokia Purple
Naga Morich
Nagabon
Numex Twilight
Orange Habanero
Orange Lantern
Peppadew
Peruvian White Habanero
Peter Pepper Orange
Peter Pepper Red
Pimenta De Neyde
Pimenta Di Bico
Piquillo
Purple Tiger
Pusa Jwala
Red Hot Cherry
Rocoto Peru Bitumi
Scotch Bonnet TFM
Serrano
Siling Labuyo
Tabasco
Takanotsume
Thai Cayenne
Thai Orange
Thai Prik Mann
Thai Yellow
Topaz Chilli
Trinidad 7Pot Jonah
Trinidad Perfume
Trinidad Scorpion
Trinidad Scorpion (stingerless)
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
Uyababa
Vietato
Wasp
White Labuyo
Wild Tepin
Zapotec Jalapeno

Many of these are just one or two seeds leftover from old stock and I won't be planting everything. A lot of the ornamentals will be getting just one plant. I'm might still get some more 7pots and superhot varieties.

The garden beds need a little work, and retic needs to be sorted but I've got a few months to do that. I'll post pictures when I have them.

I can't remember how much it was exactly but I do remember thinking its a bit expensive for coco coir. That said its lasted for a while now, takes some time to use up 50 litres if you are only putting it in tiny seed trays. I've used a few buckets worth in soil mixes as well. I definitely think its worth it after having some bad growth reactions in cheap coir though.

Would it have been more than $25? That's what I'm paying for a 50L bale of peat moss. Thought I would give it a burl instead of coco coir... but I'm just not feeling it! Maybe because the peat moss I'm buying is Searles (so not exactly the picture of quality), but regardless, I would much rather go back to coco (just not the cheap stuff!).

Just looked at your glog, are those podding up plants from this season or overwinters? I'm jealous !

Just wait until your ten million plants start producing and we'll see who is jealous of who..... ;)

A mix of both this seasons plants and overwinters.

The place I got it from, growth technology, doesn't really do retail because they wholesale to hydro shops, and you can't buy from them unless you are a business. I have to go there for Chilli Focus because no one retails it and they let me have a coco coir bag for wholesale once. From the hydro shop its more expensive about $35 for a 50L bag I think. Hydro shops also have other brands of coco that is well flushed and buffered.

They whole hydro industry has ridiculous price mark ups because drug growers will pay it and can't really complain too loudly. The coco production cost price probably comes out to $2 a 50L bag or something like that. The only way it will get cheaper is if pot was legalized. We can only hope.

I'll have to hit up the hydro shops around here on the weekend and see what I can find. $35 for 50L is friggin' steep though... there's no way I'll be shelling out that!

I wonder how much you have to buy to get that sort of stuff at wholesale. :think:

Not much happening, everything very gradually getting bigger.

Just wanted to post this picture cos it looks so good.
childplants006.jpg

The plants are still in their first cells and are full of life. I'm very happy with the results getting them to this point. Got my germination and first growing stage method down. :cool:

The stage after the first pot up is what I am working on now, and there is room for improvement. I see other glogs and some people get lush, awesome looking plants right through to harvest. That is obviously my long term goal but right now I'm just trying to get the first pot up right.

Thanks guys. :)

Some of the older ones started to look a bit "sad" and they are growing too slow so I've stopped giving them so much food and I'm going to set up an automatic drip retic on a table and have them in full sun from midday to about 5-6pm. Instead of the lattice thing they are behind now, which also is shaded by a tree for half the day.
childplants003.jpg

I'll also make it with a shadecloth awning I can pull down if the sun gets to be too much.

Ok I managed to create a new position for my mature plants. They weren't getting enough sun and watering them was becoming a pain so this new rig will hopefully fix both those problems.

It's sort of portable and has child and wind protection. The table is on a slight lean backwards so excess water flows away. If it doesn't work here I can always move it to a FULL sun position, and when the sun gets too hot it can be moved back undercover. The timer automates the watering and each dripper can be adjusted to an individual plant that may be in a wetter or drier mix.
newrig001.jpg

newrig006.jpg

newrig008.jpg

The two annuums really stand out
newrig012.jpg

They've started flowering
newrig009.jpg

newrig011.jpg

and the best looking superhot so far is.....
newrig018.jpg

Trinidad Perfume :P

The Pimenta De Neyde is really green but I'm thinking thats because its been in a shady position.
newrig019.jpg

It will be interesting to see if it darkens in more sun. It will test the theory that purple colour on chilli plants and pods is sunburn.

They're lookin really Healthy Moo, Great work mate
the Pimenta de Neyde will go black in full sun, in the shade or poor light they tend to stay that darker green colour with the dark stems

Reactions: nee
Forgive me if this was discussed earlier, I only read the last page of the grow log.

Any details on your automatic watering system? It looks pretty cool and I wouldn't mind trying it if I knew where to get the parts.

Thanks everyone. The watering thing was put together with bits and pieces all from Bunnings (which is a large warehouse hardware/nursery store). So its just a regular tap plugged into a watering timer - pressure reducer - filter - 13mm poly hose and adjustable drippers.

You really need the pressure reducer for a small drip system like this because the mains pressure will blow the barbed poly connectors off. Even with the pressure reduced it still blows them off so you have to get these little clips, or use cable zip ties like I did at every barbed join. Doing it is a real PITA but once its setup it stays together. That's why I ran the hose through the mdf panels, so the tight fitting holes would hold it together. Works so far.

This is an intermediate growing station. I am planning to duplicate this system on a large scale using 19mm poly hose and the same sort of drippers once the plants are potted up into their final pots.

Have some more photos I couldn't fit into the post.

Something was eating holes in a Dorset Naga
newrig013.jpg

All my Bih Jolokias haven't looked absolutely perfect but they are surviving.
newrig015.jpg

The two in the back row on the right are Orange Lanterns. They are starting to outgrow the others.
newrig017.jpg

Two 7Pot Yellow, doing well but with holes.
newrig022.jpg

newrig023.jpg

There may be some catepillars and fungus gnats eating my leaves but I noticed before I moved them at least 3 tiny jumping spiders crawling about. Hopefully they are still around and doing their thing. :)

Couldn't help myself and I pulled the dead flower off to see possibly the first pod of the new season.
goodbadugly001.jpg

So small the camera wouldn't focus on it unless had my finger there. :P
Naga Jolokia Purple

Two days ago I sowed some more seeds, with total disregard for how much actual space I have to grow them to maturity.

Fatalii Chocolate
Fatalii Yellow
Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate
7 Pot Yellow (different source, can never have too many)
Congo Trinidad
Hot Cherry
Big Jim
Paprika
Hungarian Black (4 cotyledon)
Charleston Hot
Purple Tiger
Cayenne Gold
Blondie
Hot Fish
Cayenne
Brazillian Starfish
Rocotillo
Aji Lemon
Tabasco
Aji Panca
Pimenta Di Bico

Add to what I already have going and this is the whole updated current grow list.

7 Pot Barrackpore
7 Pot Brainstrain
7 Pot Jonah
7 Pot Primo
7 Pot Red
7 Pot SR Red
7 Pot Yellow
7 Pot Yellow (different source, can never have too many)
Aji Lemon
Aji Panca
Aribibi Gusano
Beni Highlands
Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia Chocolate
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon
Big Jim
Bih Jolokia
Blondie
Brazillian Starfish
Cayenne Gold
Cayenne Red
Charleston Hot
Cheiro White
Congo Brown
Congo Trinidad
Datil
Dorset Naga
Douglah
Fatalii Chocolate
Fatalii Yellow
Habanero Chocolate
Habanero Magnum
Habanero Orange
Habanero Peach
Habanero Red
Habanero Rojo
Habanero White
Hot Cherry
Hot Fish
Hungarian Black
Jamiaca Scotch Bonnet
Limo Blanco
Mystery Pepper (red savina?)
Naga Jolokia Purple
Naga Morich
Orange Lantern
Paprika
Pimenta De Neyde
Pimenta Di Bico
Purple Tiger
Rocotillo
Scarlet Lantern
Tabasco
Trinidad Perfume
Trinidad Scorpion
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Red
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Yellow
Wasp

I update as I go because I've got more varieties than I'm going to use this year and I make the final decision at the time of sowing. There is still more to go, I've just started the annuums. Have already decided not to do any pubescens this year :(

Looking good, moo!

I got little caterpillars that have found their way onto my plants. :mad: Causing a little bit of damage and holes and all that, but a nice change from the usual pests I end up with.

Thanks for your fingerprint too BTW.... MWUHAHAHA!!!! :hell:

It's those white butterfly/moth things they land for a second and lay an egg.
They're everywhere, they like my basil and swiss chard too :hell:

Back