• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Melinda's sauces

I know that Melinda's line of hot sauces don't really pack the punch or the flames as some of the others out there, but regardless they are one of my favorite lines of sauces. I was just checking the web and saw that they have a Red Savina (sp) sauce. Well, since I haven't tried this one yet, I just had to buy it. Has anyone else tried this sauce and if so what are your opinions on it? I can't wait to get it to try it myself... :onfire:

I haven't tried it but looking at some of the reviews people class it as medium hot with a good taste. Her sauces are a good price too and natural.

rainbowberry said:
I haven't tried it but looking at some of the reviews people class it as medium hot with a good taste. Her sauces are a good price too and natural.

Thanks RB...So far, I really love all of their sauces and have been enjoying them for years. I just got an email today stating that my order has been shipped. I feel like a kid waiting for Santa...:lol:

I'll be sure to let ya know what I think ;)

Pepperfreak said:
Thanks RB...So far, I really love all of their sauces and have been enjoying them for years. I just got an email today stating that my order has been shipped. I feel like a kid waiting for Santa...:lol:

I'll be sure to let ya know what I think ;)

I saw a bottle at Whole Foods. I am curious what you think of it. I have so many sauces in the cupboard right now, that I have no room for more.

How does Melinda's stack up against Marie Sharp's? They are both carrot-based hot sauces and popular, but never heard them compared against each other.

Melinda's sauces are a favorite of mine. I have been enjoying them for over 10 years now. They have a really good XXXX Hab sauce that is good on just about everything. The only sauce of theirs that I didn't care for was the green Jalapeno sauce, but I really don't care for green sauces anyways...I haven't opened the Red Savina sauce yet, been waiting to clear out some already opened bottles, but I may have to break down this weekend ;)

I haven't heard or tried Marie Sharp's sauce but, I say you can't go wrong with Melinda's. BTW they also have a good steak sauce.

I think Marie Sharp's is way better than Melindas. I usually eat the fiery hot. It's not scorching hot but it will do the job. They also have a green habanero and nopal (cactus) sauce that is very very good, although a little too mild

andres said:
I think Marie Sharp's is way better than Melindas. I usually eat the fiery hot. It's not scorching hot but it will do the job. They also have a green habanero and nopal (cactus) sauce that is very very good, although a little too mild

I loved that mild one too. It really surprised me with the flavor. Prickly Pear wasn't it?

I haven't tried Melinda's yet, maybe soon.

Okay, so I broke open my bottle of Melinda's Red Savina sauce today. I made ham and cheese sandwich with it. I have to say that Melinda's didn't disappoint me with this sauce, it had a great taste to it. Now, as for the level of heat...I didn't think that it was as hot as their XXXX Hab sauce, but what it lacked in heat it made up for with taste. It definitely will not blow your head off with fire, but hot enough to be called a hot sauce. In my opinion, I would call this sauce an everyday sauce that could be used on everything without it being overpowering.

I'm going to have to try Marie Sharp's next. I always love trying new hot sauces...:lol:

I think if I remember correctly, the same people/person who created Marie Sharp's left the company and started Melinda's. They are pretty similar IMO. I love Melinda's Red Savina and especially the Fire Roasted Habanero sauce.

JayT said:
I think if I remember correctly, the same people/person who created Marie Sharp's left the company and started Melinda's. They are pretty similar IMO. I love Melinda's Red Savina and especially the Fire Roasted Habanero sauce.

Actually, Malinda worked for Marie Sharp and left the company the same time she stole a bunch of recipes. Then she started up Melindas which sauces that...hhmmmm...oddly tastevery simaler to Marie Sharps.

The owner of Marie Sharps still rants and raves about it to this day and alot of the people in the industry know about the betrayal too. Heck, a ton of people that walk into the store I work at talk about it too.

imaguitargod said:
Actually, Malinda worked for Marie Sharp and left the company the same time she stole a bunch of recipes. Then she started up Melindas which sauces that...hhmmmm...oddly tastevery simaler to Marie Sharps.

The owner of Marie Sharps still rants and raves about it to this day and alot of the people in the industry know about the betrayal too. Heck, a ton of people that walk into the store I work at talk about it too.

that's the main reason I have never bought any Melinda's ever...
However I was at the local Hot Sauce store where I bought two sauces my buddy who owns the place said were in his top 5...

One was Melinda's XXXX reserve
I found it very salty...and it had every bit as many seeds as Pure Death...

The other I picked up was Cajun Power...Garlic sauce
Lots of vinegar but the taste is spot on...the bottle says to use it mainly as a marinade..

But Its fine straight up

I have been useing it on eggs...very good

I came to this thread 'cuz I bought a bottle of Melinda's Scotch Bonnet. My palate isn't quite as conditioned as most of your'n, so I found it pretty hot, but I love it! I also recently got a bottle of Zaschilla Habanero; love at first bite! I ran out and bought their chipotle sauce too. I have to find a bottle of Rectal Rocket Fuel, because when I tried that 3 years ago, I thought it was incredibly hot--I'm thinkin' not so much now. But I loved the Jamaican Jerk flavor of the stuff. I'll keep my eyes peeled for Marie Sharp products here in Phx.

I don't know what the whole story is, I've heard it before, but my take on it is, if you work for a hot sauce company, leave, and decide to start your own, chances are they will taste similar. As far as "stealing" recipes none of us have any proof of that. Coke or Pepsi, one was first. One was second.

I'd try both brands. Have not tried either!

thehotpepper.com said:
I don't know what the whole story is, I've heard it before, but my take on it is, if you work for a hot sauce company, leave, and decide to start your own, chances are they will taste similar. As far as "stealing" recipes none of us have any proof of that. Coke or Pepsi, one was first. One was second.

I agree with THP. also look at all the other sauce companies that use the same basic ingredients & then their sauces taste the same. shouldnt some hot sauce companies also be labeled thieves for having the same ingredient list of another hot sauce company ?
with the thinking of melindas sauces taste like marie sharp sauces...sure why not! most of the lines are basic ingredients. I've tried some of each brand & both taste good.

Back