• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Melissa's 2013 Bigger and Better grow!!

Hey everyone!!

It's been awhile since I have been able to catch up with all my THP friends! Work, family and my continuous grow leaves me no free time.BUT I don't let the lack of free time get in the way of doing what I love, growing! My outdoor season is still going, production is down because they hate the cold but still picking so I am good with that! Plants look sad but even with low 30's nights they are still flowering/setting and ripening pods. I see them on the weekend right now, my step children plants because when I get home from work it's dark! lol

I have been busy behind the scenes getting a super early head start on the 2013 season!! Fired up my indoor tent in September with my 4 bulb T5 and some monster CFL's, November added my new Quantum Bad Boy 8 bulb T5! I remembered right from the start why I love growing indoors, nice, bushy, green beautiful plants! I love my T5's!

I figured I might as well start off a fresh grow log for the 2013 year! I slacked the last few months keeping up with my old log so in with the new! :D I had a very successful year, family, friends and coworkers were introduced to a whole new world of hot peppers! I hope for this next season to be bigger and better than the last! I am going to do my best to fit in some time to keep my grow updated!

Hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas and wishing you all a Happy new year and successful 2013 growing season!!

XOXO

Melissa :dance:

NOW FOR SOME PICS :)

Brown Rocoto
IMG_5357_zpsc6456814.jpg

White 7
IMG_5358_zps36f83f3e.jpg

Chocolate Scorpion
IMG_5359_zps4ad5bc8e-1_zps146e4f99.jpg

Billy Boy Doughlah
IMG_5362_zpsfbe13002-1_zpsddb341c5.jpg

The 1ga starts in my tent
IMG_5364_zpsb688b2b8.jpg

Yellow Billy Boy Doughlah
IMG_5367_zpse72ea1a5.jpg

Yellow Brain
IMG_5370_zpsa421411a.jpg

Sepia Serpent
IMG_5371_zpsc64fd9ec.jpg

Peach Scorpanero #2 (Aji Joe)
IMG_5373_zpsdee2710f.jpg

Hubert (Pubescen)
IMG_5372_zps5514a580.jpg

Awesome start Melissa... I see your puttin the popsicle sticks to good use. Took me awhile to find em at wally world in the craft section... Good luck to your grow this comin season..

Awesome start Melissa... I see your puttin the popsicle sticks to good use. Took me awhile to find em at wally world in the craft section... Good luck to your grow this comin season..

Thank you Portuge! Popsicle sticks seem to work pretty good, they need to be replaced every so often but are a great cheap solution. Check out your local 99 or dollar tree,that's where I get mine. :) Good luck to you this season!

This is looking like its going to be a great glog! If you don't mind me asking, what happened to your hand that you need that brace?

Thanks idosimon! No worries about asking! I do so much typing at work and the gardening that my wrist starts to hurt every so often, I just wear a brace for a good week and it usually goes away. Thanks for stopping in! :)

A FEW MORE PICS FOR YOU GUYS

The infamous big bad REAPER!! :P LOL! (Thanks Denniz for hooking me up with a few seeds!)
IMG_5360_zps250fa790.jpg

A shot inside, not sure which one this is. Exploding with growth!
IMG_5363_zps993119f6.jpg

Some more babies
IMG_5365_zpsd63d7011.jpg

Pimenta De Neyde
IMG_5366_zps9d07b931.jpg

Purple Bhut
IMG_5369_zpseae2116f.jpg

IMG_5374_zpsce2afbde.jpg

Popsicle sticks can also be found inside of popsicles. ;)

There are also the white plastic strips which can be found in the garden department of any hardware store, or you can even cut strips from a used plastic milk jug.

Already beautiful plants, Melissa. Your off to a great season with plant looking like that! Best of luck with the 2013 season and I will be following your glog closely :)

Melissa......Great early start, beautiful plants.............another Purple Bhut...to boot.......that will be a tree by the end of the year ....I'm still fumbling over my seeds............lol.

This season I'm switching over to using the ID Flag Ties to label my plants. Just zip them around the base of the stem and wah-lah...no more mis labeled plants.

Water proof outdoor markers will not smear or weather.

Last year at our plant sales we had a problem with folks pulling out the plastic plant tags out of the pots...sometimes (more often) replacing them in the wrong pots..............ha

Anyways, I'll be following this thread closely, you grow what most have but in addition many unique varieties................Go Girl !

Greg

Looks like a great start. I see you have already got a few good suggestions for marking, so here is one more....old venetian blinds. Cut them to double length desired then an angle cut in the middle and you have 2 with points to go in the soil.

Awesome looking healthy plants and a great start to what looks like a potential bumper season ahead!! There are some great strains amongst that lot. Nice work!!

Looks like a great start, I can't wait to see all those as adults pumping out peppers.

In your part of California, when do the plants go outside? Your room will be absolutely overflowing in a couple of months.

Aight lady...you got a follow! Let's keep those updates flowing!!! Got my grow lights out yesterday...still sorting through seeds over here. I use white plastic forks and knives for markers. I started with popsicle sticks last year, but after a few months they were no longer legible. Super jealous of all those T5's you got rockin, I am using an updated version of my CFL/T8 setup again. I found 75w equivalent (a bit undersized but will work) CFLs at COSTCO $3 for 6 bulbs if you're running low.

Post up some detailed pics of your grow setup so we can see how the pro's do it!!!

Already beautiful plants, Melissa. Your off to a great season with plant looking like that! Best of luck with the 2013 season and I will be following your glog closely :)

Thank you Stefan!! I will get to your PM shortly :)

nice looking plants,and nice selection. good luck with the grow cant wait to see them plants turn into monsters.

Thank you Sicman!

Melissa......Great early start, beautiful plants.............another Purple Bhut...to boot.......that will be a tree by the end of the year ....I'm still fumbling over my seeds............lol.

This season I'm switching over to using the ID Flag Ties to label my plants. Just zip them around the base of the stem and wah-lah...no more mis labeled plants.

Water proof outdoor markers will not smear or weather.

Last year at our plant sales we had a problem with folks pulling out the plastic plant tags out of the pots...sometimes (more often) replacing them in the wrong pots..............ha

Anyways, I'll be following this thread closely, you grow what most have but in addition many unique varieties................Go Girl !

Greg

Awww thanks for the kind word Greg! I really am going to try and go bigger and better this year and with less plants too! One great thing about me working is I have the funds now to really splurge on this grow. Last year I bought a lot of bulk mix which is great for the ground but not so great for pots. This year it's all about Roots organics soil, worked out a great price with my local hydro guy so although it's costly to start the rewards will definitely make it worth it. My purple bhut is still alive and kicking, but oh so sad looking. I may just dump it and start over with my new purple bhut in that monster smart pot.

I most definitely need a more permanent solution for my tags, no more unknown plants this year if I can help it. I bought a P-touch last year, I should put that to use! Can't wait to see your grow start up again Greg, best of luck in the 2013 season! :)

Looks like a great start. I see you have already got a few good suggestions for marking, so here is one more....old venetian blinds. Cut them to double length desired then an angle cut in the middle and you have 2 with points to go in the soil.

Thanks Justaguy! Some very good suggestions here for tagging plants, once they go outdoors I will be using one of these methods.

Awesome looking healthy plants and a great start to what looks like a potential bumper season ahead!! There are some great strains amongst that lot. Nice work!!

Thanks Trippa! I was lucky to score some pods off Silver Surfer this year, was dying to add a lot of those varieties to my grow! Good luck with your season!

beautiful start Melissa. i'm invious of your t5's i'm still runnin t12s and t8s, awe well one day. i love how your brown rocoto is staying low and sprawling, is that typical of the rocoto? my manzanos grew straight up without a single branch last year.

Looks like a great start, I can't wait to see all those as adults pumping out peppers.

In your part of California, when do the plants go outside? Your room will be absolutely overflowing in a couple of months.

Thanks Jeff! I have plants outside now, they don't like the cold too much but I can keep them outdoors year round if needed. Last year I had two 6x8 greenhouses with shelving, just the plastic kind. They were done for after my 2012 season so the hubby was nice enough to buy me a 6x8 polycarbonate greenhouse from harbor freight. It is currently housing about 15 3ga supers with room to add lots more. They were also started indoors but I ran out of room, growing much slower outside in the greenhouse but doing fine. I don't need monster plants until the cold front we are getting goes away. Temps have gotten down to 32 at night in my area, hasn't seemed to faze anything so far. Last year I started putting plants in the ground in March I believe, the goal this season is to put much larger plants in the ground so they get adjusted quicker.

Hi Melissa
You're off to a flying start.. all looking most excellent. Cheers

Thank you Stickman! :cheers:
Your plants look so healthy, cant wait to see what the reaper looks like at pod stage..

Thank you! I am looking forward to seeing if the infamous Reaper grows true! :)

Are those Japanese maples behind your BB douglah? *cough cough* Very nice looking plants, would you be interested in trading any of your brown rocoto seeds?

Japanes maple? Ohhh yes, that's the hubby's fav plant! ;) Let me check on the brown rocoto, I only had 5 seeds of that variety. If I have a couple left you can have them, if not hit me up during harvest time and I will send you a few fresh pods.

Aight lady...you got a follow! Let's keep those updates flowing!!! Got my grow lights out yesterday...still sorting through seeds over here. I use white plastic forks and knives for markers. I started with popsicle sticks last year, but after a few months they were no longer legible. Super jealous of all those T5's you got rockin, I am using an updated version of my CFL/T8 setup again. I found 75w equivalent (a bit undersized but will work) CFLs at COSTCO $3 for 6 bulbs if you're running low.

Post up some detailed pics of your grow setup so we can see how the pro's do it!!!

I am gonna do my best with updating Shane, no excuses I am just gonna get it done! lol. Let me know if you need any more seeds, I would be more than happy to send some your way! I have some sauce with your name all over it too! :) I am really lucky to have those T5's, they grow the nicest plants! My brother gave me the 4 bulb T5 last year and I splurged and bought the quantum bad boy in august, I ALMOST felt bad spending that much on lighting.....ALMOST!! haha! I will get some more detailed pics over this long holiday weekend. Take care buddy! :cheers:

looking good well i mean GREAT!!!

Thank you!

A couple pics before I stop slacking and get to work! :shh:

Peru Cusco outside, pubescens love the chilly weather!
perucusco_zpsb35cfa12.jpg

Manzano Grande
Manzanogrande_zpsddbb9a85.jpg

beautiful start Melissa. i'm invious of your t5's i'm still runnin t12s and t8s, awe well one day. i love how your brown rocoto is staying low and sprawling, is that typical of the rocoto? my manzanos grew straight up without a single branch last year.

Thanks Ben! The brown rocoto is growing much different than the other pubescens I have grown out, all the others grew up before branching out. That one just got potted up from a 1ga grow bag to a 3ga bag, time will tell if it keeps that sprawling habit or not. I can't keep it from flowering, I pinched all the new buds off and I swear it tripled the amount of flowers after! ha! Just going to let it do it's thang :) Hope all is well!

New around here (THP) but wanted to say great start Melissa, very nice pictures and big pods on last shots ... aggressive grow list, I'm only at around 51, starting 12 more this weekend but will probably gift off some to cut down on total. Good Great luck in 13 both to you and your chilies :)

... cant wait to see what the reaper looks like at pod stage..
Me too, has anyone even seen one remotely look like the marketing pictures???

Back