• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

lighting Metal Halide lights

I use a 400W for my walk in closet space. It does the the job quite nicely. It runs quite hot though, making a few things a little more difficult. What did you wanna know?

How much does it cost to run? Is it expensive... I'm looking at one on ebay that is 600W, I know it will do the job very well and my plants will thrive, but just a bit worried about electricity costs to run it...

I don't know for sure ,but I was talking with the guy the local hydroponics shop abouit building a grow room and he suggested 1200 watts of metal halide. He said it would cost between 60 and 80 dollars a month to run it , so you could cut that in half . 30 to 40 dollars a month if his advice is correct.

Look at your electric bill. It will list what you pay per kilowatt hour. Take that number times how strong your light is times how many hours per month you run it. For example if I had a 600 watt metal halide that ran for 12 hours a day and my kilowatt hour charge from the electric company was .10 then I would pay 600*12*30(or 31 depending on the month) divided by 1000 and times your kilowatt hour charge .10=21.6 dollars. For me I only pay .08 per kilowatt hour so it would be less and based on how long per day you run it could be more so do the math your self and see if it is worth it.

Mine runs about $30 a month. I am looking into those BIG CFLs

Guess I should've said I have a 400 watt MH

i have a 1000 watt light for flowering. Haven't used it yet seeing this is my first year growing indoors. I'm guessing it will cost me 60$ to 80$ a month to run.

I think im approx 40$ a month in Canada with the 400W MH.... but that includes the fans to keep things "almost" cool enough

Back