• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Mezo`s "super hots" Glog including the 'big' solar dehydrator.

The is thread with the humungous solar dehydrator. :D

solardehydrator3.jpg

G-Day, im Mez or Mezo & im new to this part of Australia having come from Perth (Western Australia) where growing chili peppers is so easy (except the heat).

I live in the border ranges in northern New South Wales (bordering Queensland) and its a mixed bag of temperate & tropical conditions, the summers are very hot, wet & humid, the winters are dry & sunny.

Average daily temps.

averagedailytemp.gif

And average monthly rainfall.

averagemonthlyrain.gif

Aussies reading this will already know this, but people in other country's probably paint a picture of Australia as a hot dry/dusty land but this is far from the truth, up north its full blown tropics with a wet season & 100% humidity (yuck). Down south its freezing cold & snow during winter, out west its a dry heat like in the Mediterranean & in the middle of Australia is desert country.

So im now growing for the first time "Super hots" and for a very important reason, whilst working away in Perth i had a double heart attack wich has left me permanently disabled, sadly they are unable to operate on me (bypass/stent) as its to far gone, so having worked all my life (Electrician) im now at the age of 45 claiming a disability pension & i hate not being able to work.

Now i take shovel fulls of dam tablets to keep my heart pumping & id rather not be taking any but right now there no option i have to take them or ill drop dead on the spot. After much reading i found out that cayenne powder has all sort of benefits to your health & well being, especially to your cardio vascular system. I had read that cayenne powder can stop a heart attack in its track & i put this to the test (twice) and yes it does work where the medication (Nitrolingual) had no effect.

So anyone reading this who spots a friend having a heart attack just flick some chili powder in a glass of water as fast as you can & get them to drink in right down, fast. It works within 30 seconds of drinking it & it saved me from two more attacks already.

So there's my life story in a nutshell & some sound advice on how to save a heart attack victims life.
And this ladies & gentlymen is why im growing "Super Hots" to make high heat cayenne powder for cooking to improve my circulation/remove fats & as a "just in case of emergency"

OK on with the first of my "Hots" the Bhut Jolokia, the reason i chose this was simple i just Googled "whats the hottest chili" and up popped the result, however further reading on the interweb i found threads from this forum & names like the Butch T, the Douglah & Brain Strain.

So ive ordered them from pepperlover.com after so many people gave such great reviews, Bhut in the meantime lets look at my Jolokia`s.

Bhut2.jpg

Bhut6.jpg

Must admit i just love the shape & color of these babies.
icon_mrgreen.gif

More soon,

Mezo.

Do they dry quicker on the bottom or the top or is it even.

Good question Moo, the lowest tray dries first & progressively less as you work you way up because the moisture is obviously rising to the roof & the trays above are sucking in the moisture from the lower trays.

Im obviously learning all this now because its the first time ive used this thing with so much fruit inside, and what i am now doing is taking the lowest tray & putting that at the top & bring the top one down so they all dry evenly, if you don't do this then you can end up with the highest trays going mouldy.

One thing is critical & thats closing the intake vent at night time, failure to close it wastes a whole days drying as it sucks in the cool moist air & rehydrates them, i actually close the vent while the sun is still shining on it (just before sunset).

The more sunshine you get the better they work, doesn't have to be particularly hot & humidity doesnt matter its the sun that is the key, without that i keep the intake shut all day & only open it once i see some fine weather.

Well done with harvest, have you still got much more to come?

Yep still loads more to come off the plants yet, just hope the dryer can keep up with the harvests i'm getting? i've got another load ready to be picked already.

Mezo.

Hey everyone, well its been a week to the day since i last picked a crop & today i managed to fill yet another kitty litter tray to the brim.
I was averaging a kilo a week (i was picking a crop fortnightly) well now im picking 2 kilograms a week, ive peaked i think?

HarvestEight2_zps72a3db2d.jpg

And here they are laid out on a rack, a real variety of colours this week,

HarvestEight1_zps3f334a96.jpg

This lot split open will easy fill two racks & will almost fill the dryer (one rack spare i think?) and the weather has not been very flash this week (overcast/rain) need sunshine big time & we are due for some any day now.

Still got more to pick, Daves Super`s, them unknow ones & the 7P brown`s towards the end of the week i think? i really need sunshine big time.

Mezo.

Well after several attempts to post, finally back in the forum (clear cache) try to remember password?

OK, ill start yet again,,,So the weather is still crap (wish harder Dave) had only one sunny day & the dryer is now almost maxed out (seven racks) pulled a few more oddball off yesterday namely some more of Dave`s "Super Scorp" three 7 Pod Browns & the unknow 7 Pods?

7PBrowns_zpsd51697b0.jpg

7PBrowninside_zps333c7060.jpg

Deffo saving the seeds on them browns, only have a dozen pods, and these mystery ones below?

UnknowPepper_zpsf08a06ab.jpg

Look great eh? if i only knew what they was? 

Mezo.

How do the browns taste? Those reds pods look like morugas or scorps in general to me, although, I'm not an expert.

Very nice by the way.

Disaster !! well i thought this may happen this week & it has,,,Mold.  :mope:

Finally we have a beautiful sunny day (perfect drying weather) so i pointed the dryer to the sun & opened the vent, thought id just check to see if i had gotten away with mold & bugger, three racks covered in mold.

Mold2_zps22ad8c10.jpg

Mold1_zpsa000193c.jpg

Oh well "c'est la vie" as they say.  :tear:

Mezo.

Hi chilli friends, been a while since i last posted & for a good reason.

Six weeks ago i was "invited" to leave the farm after an argument with the lady land owner, i won't go into details but lets just say it was painful and stressful.

Had to give up my dog Buddy, he`s gone back to the farmer where i got him from for two reasons, one that area is his home & secondly he`s a cattle dog not a city/town dog & besides most rental places don't allow pets.

My chilli plants are still at the farm for now, in time i will get some (not all) of them down to my place i'm now living (town).

I have a small deck/balcony out the back where i could possibly squeeze in 30 odd plants but thats about it, so i will pick the best of my plants & leave the rest to my mate Danny to do what he wants with them.

I've been on a real downer for weeks but starting to cheer up a bit now, the bonus is i've got a real nice place to live with luxuries like running water, a toilet that flushes with a press of a button (amazing) i also have a sink with a mirror & after two years living in a van i looked like crap, so its nice to have a haircut & shave.

I have unboxed my cookware after three years in packing boxes & as i type i'm doing a roast pork supper (slurp).  :party:

My mum calls stuff like this serendipity (fate) what will be, will be & all things happen for a reason & i agree with her, so gone is the tranquil farm in the middle of knowhere to a home on the high street with the pub across the road.  ;)

Mezo.

Was wondering what was going on as hadn't heard from you in a while. Sounds like you rebounded. From your description, farm living has its hardships so you won't have to be living out of a caravan. Might be a blessing in disguise. I'm making do w/ city, pepper-growing myself. Anyway, thanks for the update.

Well, Mezo, sorry to hear about the "invitation," but it sounds like it may have been a bit of a step forward.  Or at least a step to the left.  Enjoy the change.  Hope it becomes a good one for you. 

Hello friends, its been over three years since i posted.

Well im still alive, i always carry some of my super hot chilli pepper powder in my wallet in case of heart attack number three.

I turned 50 a few months back (amazed i got to 50) but i did, i can confirm that at the point of a heart attack super hots do save your life & i urge all of you to carry a little baggie in your wallet, you never know you could save somebodys life.

I was gutted that i had to leave the farm & all my plants, but hey "such is life" i now live in town in a flat with no garden, but i still have a ton of dried peppers.

I would like to thank all the guys who helped me (sending seeds) and invaluable advice, i am truly in your debt & much the wiser.

Kind regards,

Mezo.

Geeze sounds like it was a bit rough for a bit there. Hopefully it's in the past and you're able to move on. I'm limited in terms of space as well, but the few plants I do grow really help me to maintain the last thread of sanity I have.

Neil

I'm still subbed. Good to hear from you Mezzo and may 2017 be healthful, and bountiful for you

FWIW- I also live in a 4th floor walk- up in an urban area but every late winter you can see me carrying a bag of dirt up the stairs to start my chili garden. I have many plastic planting pots and windows.

Anyway, cheers

Dot Com said:
I'm still subbed. Good to hear from you Mezzo and may 2017 be healthful, and bountiful for you
May grow some next year, not superhots (got a lifetimes worth still) stuff like Hungarian wax etc.

Scored an electric dehydrator from the op-shop just two bucks.

IMG_1565_zpsf2dy1heu.jpg

Mezo.

Meez - good to hear from you, mate!  I wondered what had happened to you.

Sorry to hear about your life change, but you are still kickin' - too bad it had
to be so stressful.  Hopefully doors will you open for you that you haven't 
seen before.  Good luck with your balcony grow, my friend!  

Merry Christmas!

Back