• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Mice love EBB

Today I noticed a healthy pod on the ground next to my Ethiopian Brown Berbere, then I looked at the plant and every...single...pod is gone with a chewed off stem remaining, this plant is a bush and I have been waiting on about 40 pods to ripen, many of which were ripe and I was saving for seeds. I live in a pest-controlled apartment and I have not had any problem like this up to this point. Upon investigation I found a giant pile of chewed up peppers near the plant in a cinder block. I will be setting mouse traps tonight. This blows any insect pest out of the water.

Wow that's a tough blow. Sucks to loose all that work to a few pests. Good luck with the traps.

I think you should tackle this the same way you would any pepper pest problem. For instance, for aphids, you would get ladybugs. As such, for mice, I would get a snake, maybe a nice python.

Phil my man! That is :( to hear about your mouse problem. Sounds like a guard cat should be called for duty! :lol:

mice can eat hot peppers? i read that birds are not but all mammals are effected by capsicum. i thought that would protect them after say 1 bite?

Clearly not, what I have heard is that different species take capsaicin differently, I believe deer love peppers. If it was not mice then it was some other rodent, there are clear chew marks and a pile of half eaten peppers.

They moved past the EBB, found almost all of my green jalapenos and fresnos on the ground today. It is clearly a rat or more than one rat because they are eating tens of peppers a night.

buy sticky traps and place all around the pots.

Unfortunately they discovered the plants in the ground which are all supported with a Florida Weave, meaning a rat is able to run on twine to every single plant very easily. The good news is that I know where they are coming from and I have 4 traps set for tonight.

Back