• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

MikeUSMC: "Bury Me in Smoke"

Ok, I started with a Jim Beam barrel on Craigslist for $100

Sanded it down with a wire wheel on an angle grinder on the bands.
80 grit, then 120 grit, then 150 grit sandpaper "flapper" wheel on the oak
Cleaned it up nice

5/8" self tapping stainless screws (predrilled pilot holes) in every stave to hold the bands up, and to stop the barrel from falling apart when I cut the top off. This took FOREVER

Off comes the top, out comes the loose char. Smelled like smoky bourbony awesomeness

Little 14" Weber "Smokey Joe" for the bottom. I drilled a ton more holes in this for better airflow, and altered the legs a little so it would sit lower

Access door to refill water pan/charcoal

Four 3/4" threaded pipe air vents w/ caps to control the airflow. High-temp, food grade caulk in each stave joint

Somewhere along the way, after all the hardware was on (holes drilled), I was ready for paint. I love the textured look of this stuff. (Spray paint) "Forged Hammered Antique Pewter"

A coat of stain, and BOOM!

'MERICA. :cheers:

Boss, let me know if you want me to delete any of the double posted pics. I'm not looking to get in trouble here :)

https://youtu.be/LqH2P2V1gpE

Happy Cinco de Mayo! :party:

I've made this recipe about a dozen times, and I've honestly never had better pork tacos. EVER. Malcom Reed absolutely nailed it. I highly, HIGHLY recommend making this recipe!

Going to a party at my buddy's house later on today, and everyone begged me to make this again (I made it last year too). 30lbs of meat, hahaha! Two 9lb pork shoulders, and two 6lb whole chickens
IMG_6544.JPG

(this pic is from last year. I was too lazy to stack everything for a photo shoot again this time, lol)
IMG_4359.JPG

The rub down
IMG_6545.JPG

Marinated overnight in OJ with oranges, limes, onions, garlic, (canned) chipotles, etc.
IMG_6546.JPG

Final coats of spices and rubs. Salt, pepper, garlic, Ancho and chipotle powder, cumin, and a little cinnamon
IMG_6549.JPG

Put the pork on the smoker (275*) at 5am. Gonna throw the chicken on around noon. I'll try to get some plated pics later, but no promises ;) Like I said, I'm bringing this to somebody else's house. It was hectic last year, and I was cocked by then :drunk:

I'll try to remember to post some pics once I start the braising process
:cheers:

Wow, thanks for the compliments, everybody! :cheers:
And, for the record, I didn't slice those limes ;)

WarrantMan said:
Dang, I need to hang out with Iron Mike for a while. Watch, listen and learn....   :P
Stick with me, kid ;)
:rofl:
Reggie, you have a place to stay here any time you're in the area, bud!

Nah, in all seriousness, almost everything I know about good BBQ, I learned from watching Malcom Reed. His videos and recipes are always great. I should also mention that I should thank the member "Downriver" for pointing me to Malcom's channel. Forever indebted to you, Rick!

Back