• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

MikeUSMC: "Bury Me in Smoke"

Ok, I started with a Jim Beam barrel on Craigslist for $100

Sanded it down with a wire wheel on an angle grinder on the bands.
80 grit, then 120 grit, then 150 grit sandpaper "flapper" wheel on the oak
Cleaned it up nice

5/8" self tapping stainless screws (predrilled pilot holes) in every stave to hold the bands up, and to stop the barrel from falling apart when I cut the top off. This took FOREVER

Off comes the top, out comes the loose char. Smelled like smoky bourbony awesomeness

Little 14" Weber "Smokey Joe" for the bottom. I drilled a ton more holes in this for better airflow, and altered the legs a little so it would sit lower

Access door to refill water pan/charcoal

Four 3/4" threaded pipe air vents w/ caps to control the airflow. High-temp, food grade caulk in each stave joint

Somewhere along the way, after all the hardware was on (holes drilled), I was ready for paint. I love the textured look of this stuff. (Spray paint) "Forged Hammered Antique Pewter"

A coat of stain, and BOOM!

'MERICA. :cheers:

Boss, let me know if you want me to delete any of the double posted pics. I'm not looking to get in trouble here :)

The Hot Pepper said:
But look at Tide Pods... lol!
IMG_6867.jpg

:rofl:

The Hot Pepper said:
Do you know the musical history of the term canned heat?
http://youtu.be/9RtT4kV5oiM

-----------------------------------------------------
http://uncensoredhistoryoftheblues.purplebeech.com/2005/10/show-5-drinking-canned-heat-and-jake.html?m=1

(from link:)
Memphis Will Shade recorded a song about getting involved with women who drink too much canned heat. Better Leave That Stuff Alone with Will Shade on guitar with Jab Jones on piano from 1928:
-------------------------------------------------
"People across the waters, they're crying for meat and bread
People across the waters, they're crying for meat and bread
And the womens down on Beale Street crying for that old canned heat every day

I give my woman a dollar to get herself something to eat
I give my woman a dollar to get herself something to eat
She spent a dime for neckbones and the ninety cents for that old canned heat

If your woman says she don't drink corn liquor, don't think she's nice and sweet
If your woman says she don't drink corn liquor, don't think she's nice and sweet
If she don't drink that old corn liquor, bet your bottom dollar she drinks that old canned heat

Now just look what a difference a little money can buy
Now just look what a difference a little money can buy
Before a woman spend fifty cents on corn liquor, she'll buy that box of canned heat on the sly

Canned heat is just like morphine, it crawls all through your bones
Canned heat is just like morphine, it crawls all through your bones
And if you keep on using canned heat mama, you soon get to the place you just can't leave it alone

When you catch a woman begging nickels and dimes, all up and down the street
When you catch a woman begging nickels and dimes, all up and down the street
She's only hustling them people to get that stuff they call that old canned heat"

-----------------------------------------------
This stuff is fascinating! Thanks, Pook! :cheers:

Just to add to the weird, if anyone you know is ever poisoned by methanol or antifreeze. Grab the nearest bottle of alcohol and make them drink. Ethanol is actually a cure for methanol poisoning. She should have been drinking that corn liquor after the canned heat.

A few years back I was T-boned by a woman who was leaving a Dollar General and drove into the driver side of my Jeep. She had 20 $1 bottles of mouthwash in her minivan. The City was running "saturation patrols" that night and sent a firetruck to respond until the police could arrive. One of the firemen noticed the other driver was slurring her words and they were able to get her to confess she was drunk on mouthwash. Guess that's better than Sterno. LOL

Jeff Phillips' "PIG SHOTS!"
https://www.smoking-meat.com/july-19-2018-smoked-pig-shots-big-cheddar-and-onion

The players:
IMG_7151.JPG

If you ever decide to try these out, I HIGHLY suggest using the THICKEST bacon you can possibly find, or possibly using a full piece, to wrap around the kielbasa, vs. a half a piece, like the recipe calls for. The "walls" really need to be a LOT stiffer. I have a feeling these are just gonna turn into a melted mess :doh: "Taller" bacon would be a good idea too :lol:

I'd also suggest smaller blocks of cheese for the middle, and probably even slicing the kielbasa thinner than 1/2", so there's more room for stuffing. I didn't even bother putting the diced onion or cream cheese mixture in these. There's just no way there was enough room, so these are just gonna be stuffed with pepper jack cheese. Anyway.....
IMG_7152.JPG

Light dusting of BBQ rub, and they go on for an hour and a half, at 250*F
IMG_7153.JPG

I swear, man....... my family cannot get over these DAMN BEANS! :rofl:
This batch has about 2 cups of pulled pork in it, plus another 1 1/2 cups or so of some smoked rib meat that I'd frozen previously, from the last time I made ribs.
IMG_7154.JPG

For reasons that I can't figure out, this batch of beans has been a lot "drier" than all previous batches I've made. I've had to add like 2 cups of water to it so far (shrug). Still smells great though! :party:

:cheers:

I think I might try that with my home cured back bacon. Might need to add some regular bacon bits to the filling for enough greasy factor though.

Getting ready for Halloween here

Threw a 15lb brisket on the smoker at noon. Injected with beef broth, then hit with some BBQ rub
IMG_7548.JPG

Here it is at the 5 hour mark
IMG_7551.JPG

Got two 10lb pork shoulders (and a whole chicken) soaking in a root beer brine, with S&P and garlic for pulled pork (and chicken). That'll sit in the fridge overnight, and I'll probably throw the pork on around 4am. I'll hit that with a mustard binder then BBQ rub
IMG_7547.JPG

I'll be handing all that ^ out to the parents tomorrow night, plus a crockpot of chili and a couple trays of cornbread, along with some other "treats" I picked up at the store today ;)
IMG_7550.JPG

Halloween's a blast at my house, haha. Get the fire pit roaring in the driveway with music blasting. A few of our friends come over with their kids. The wives always take the kids around the block, with backpacks full of beer. The guys and I hang out in front of the garage, by the smoker, handing out candy, beers, and sandwiches :party:

Been doing this for the 3 years I've lived in this house, and the whole neighborhood loves it, haha!
:cheers:

Back