• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

MikeUSMC: "Bury Me in Smoke"

Ok, I started with a Jim Beam barrel on Craigslist for $100

Sanded it down with a wire wheel on an angle grinder on the bands.
80 grit, then 120 grit, then 150 grit sandpaper "flapper" wheel on the oak
Cleaned it up nice

5/8" self tapping stainless screws (predrilled pilot holes) in every stave to hold the bands up, and to stop the barrel from falling apart when I cut the top off. This took FOREVER

Off comes the top, out comes the loose char. Smelled like smoky bourbony awesomeness

Little 14" Weber "Smokey Joe" for the bottom. I drilled a ton more holes in this for better airflow, and altered the legs a little so it would sit lower

Access door to refill water pan/charcoal

Four 3/4" threaded pipe air vents w/ caps to control the airflow. High-temp, food grade caulk in each stave joint

Somewhere along the way, after all the hardware was on (holes drilled), I was ready for paint. I love the textured look of this stuff. (Spray paint) "Forged Hammered Antique Pewter"

A coat of stain, and BOOM!

'MERICA. :cheers:

Boss, let me know if you want me to delete any of the double posted pics. I'm not looking to get in trouble here :)

Is it tender? Does the temp probe slide in and out easy? I know most go by temp but some also say to check the tenderness. From what I read it could be done anywhere from 190-200. Just something to think about.

I would leave the lid up for a bit, let the heat dissipate, and choke the air flow a bit to lower the temp down to a steady 200-225. Once it hits 200 internal temp, I would wrap it tightly in foil, then wrap the foil package very tightly in towels, then throw that package in my Yeti til noon.

Maybe I'm freaking out over nothing. Probe didn't slide in and out as easily as it should for 187*. Pulled the probe, stuck it back in at a different angle about 3/4" away from the original spot.

Now, it's reading 168*. Either way, I'm out of charcoal. I'm gonna reload it using a really "fat snake" instead of a "full bowl" like I usually do, and cross my fingers and hope for the best

Thoughts?

I'm assuming with a brisket that size, you're having guests over for lunch.

If it were me, I would wrap it in foil,fire up my oven to 225, tuck that package in there nice and cozy, and get a good night sleep while it finishes up.

I'm sure it has a wicked bark at this point, so wrapping it, letting it finish low and slow in the oven, and sleeping well will prep both you and the brisket for the shenanigans that are bound to ensue tomorrow.

t0mato said:
Sleep is for the weak anyways. :rofl:
Sleep is clutch, even while smoking a giant hunk of meat, IMHO. I usually wake up every few hours to stoke the fire, add more wood, etc., when I do overnight Q.

When there is a big game on, you want to have the best brisket, but also not be too sleep deprived to enjoy slamming some brews, and enjoying the game with the friends/family.

I'm sure Mike will have both the best brisket, and the endurance to drink some halftime shots with the homies!

Thanks for all the help, boys!

Rajun Gardener, I'm hoping the probe was just stuck in fat. Thanks for your input, bud!

tctenten, I wouldn't put it past her

t0mato, you're just the kind of bad influence I need in my life, ha! (seriously, PM me your addy, dude)

TGCM, at the rate this is going, I might end up pulling an all-nighter! :party:

BIG, FAT, FUCKIN' SNAKE IT IS, BOYS!
IMG_6122.JPG

Thanks for all the help, but stick around, I'm not out of the woods just yet, hahaha
Cheers!
IMG_6123.JPG

Back