• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Mini Orange Habs

I had a problem with aphids on this plant, it was growing indoors when I found it was infested. The aphids were causing the flowers to fall off and the plant obviously wouldn't produce pods. I took it home and put it outside and it started to set pods but the plant was still small. Someone actually told me "that plant looks stunted, be ready for lots of small pods". Well that's exactly what I got, a bunch of small habs.

My question is......should I be doing something to the plant to inspire growth? As can be seen from the photos, the plant has quite a bit of undergrowth but none of the leaves are getting big and full. The plant seems to getting bushier but not any bigger. What should I do?

1dd2a30d.jpg

de0756cc.jpg

b175ec27.jpg

IMO - pick all the pods off of it and it should grow. It's still early in the growing season. Maybe pinch any new pods for a few weeks and then let it rip. Not sure what soil it's in, but if it's in MG or something else with added nutes, just leave it alone. If it's had no nutes, maybe in a few weeks you could put a tablespoon of Tomato Tone or Garden Tone in a circle at least 3 inches away from the stem. After that, it will be what it will be.

IMO - pick all the pods off of it and it should grow. It's still early in the growing season. Maybe pinch any new pods for a few weeks and then let it rip.

Yeah I've read post about guys who don't pinch early pods or prune sucker leaves and then wonder why they got 10 peppers for the entire season. In my opinion a 12" plant that is splitting it's energy between growing bigger and produce pods at the same time can only do so much.

My current plants are about 2' tall and 2' wide and I still pinch any and all flowers. It's about 20-30 stems a week since it's ready to produce. However if I pinch for another month or so and continue fertilizing for growth and wait until it gets 3' tall and wide and then prune the heck out of it I should be able to double my fruit production.

Your plant looks fine, it has just gone thru the 1st wave of flowering, you could always strip the green habs off and make a 'salsa verde", that would direct the plants energy into producing new growth quickly, cutting the older larger leaves off would also help encourage new growth, your strongest stem will then cane into an upward growing main branch forming side shoots, which will leave you with dozens of orange habs by seasons end!.....'orange habs, carrots, garlic, onions, mustard, allspice, celery seed, sea salt, cane vinegar....homemade hot sauce with flavor

are those like 1/2" long?

or do you have REALLY big hands?

it is easier for me to "get" the size thing if you would

please put a coin or ruler or anything that i know the size of

for me to get better pepper envy

good growing

Back