• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

miracle grow moisture control-?

There is still a difference between inexpensive and cheap. It appears you just fail to realize it.
This was never about me.

Rather than being pedantic over a choice of term, why don't you validate for the OP that he can actually roll his own potting mix *cheaply*? You've now replied twice regarding the use of a word, and persisted in your quest to be right... But the entire substance of your previous post was just to tell him what not to do, in the vaguest of possible terms.

Why don't you support your assertion (of not "going cheap") with some sort of example, so the rest of us can make some sense of your perspective? It's possible that this is a new grower, who doesn't have the luxury of taking for granted what is "cheap", or "inexpensive", or whatever other synonym we've failed to add to the lingo matrix.

Based on your previous comment, the only conclusion that I can draw, is that unless something costs some arbitrary amount - which isn't inexpensive - it's a waste of time.

I'd like to chime in on what I mean by low value ;)  potting mix, customer reviews from Target below.> http://www.target.com/p/ecoscraps-organic-potting-soil-1-cubic-foot/-/A-14903854

After only a few weeks, I noticed tons of fungus gnats buzzing around my plants. I've had to toss the whole project.  

and after a matter of days I realized it was infested with pill bugs. 

It seems I'm the 3rd person to review this saying its infested. I opened the bag and there were tons of tiny spider mites and things flying around in the bag.

More reviews from the HD site.> http://www.homedepot.com/p/Miracle-Gro-Nature-s-Care-32-Qt-Organic-Potting-Mix-71683120/204698486

I used it anyway and weeks later my plants and my home are infested with these little gnat or gnat-like insects.

I have about 25 plants outside theyare all dying after using this soil with rootaphid

but another bag appears to have had aminopyralid contamination, 

Too many fungus gnats popping up from soil. The Miracle pro Potting Mix I bought didn't have this issue.

I was mortified to open this bag of "natural" and "organic" soil to find it filled with trash. Shredded plastic bags, colored food wrapper pieces, colored glass, and other odd and ends.

Good thing it's outside because almost 2 weeks later, my plant is covered in fungus gnats! 

`

You can't call something low quality because it has fungus gnats. That's just wrong. Fungus gnats feed on organic material. Fungus gnats may not be in a bag, but they're almost guaranteed to be, the minute you open it, or put the contents in a pot. And, it often has more to do with transportation and storage, than actual quality of product.

If I've got a lot of sand or human generated refuse in a mix, it's pure shit. But fungus gnats are absolutely no litmus test. NOPE.

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
I'd like to chime in on what I mean by low value ;)  potting mix, customer reviews from Target below.> http://www.target.com/p/ecoscraps-organic-potting-soil-1-cubic-foot/-/A-14903854

After only a few weeks, I noticed tons of fungus gnats buzzing around my plants. I've had to toss the whole project.  

It seems I'm the 3rd person to review this saying its infested. I opened the bag and there were tons of tiny spider mites and things flying around in the bag.

More reviews from the HD site.> http://www.homedepot.com/p/Miracle-Gro-Nature-s-Care-32-Qt-Organic-Potting-Mix-71683120/204698486

I used it anyway and weeks later my plants and my home are infested with these little gnat or gnat-like insects.

I have about 25 plants outside theyare all dying after using this soil with rootaphid

but another bag appears to have had aminopyralid contamination, 

Too many fungus gnats popping up from soil. The Miracle pro Potting Mix I bought didn't have this issue.

I was mortified to open this bag of "natural" and "organic" soil to find it filled with trash. Shredded plastic bags, colored food wrapper pieces, colored glass, and other odd and ends.

Good thing it's outside because almost 2 weeks later, my plant is covered in fungus gnats! 

`
I bought some soil from Home Depot and it too was full of weird objects, it was horrible soil but on sale.... I cant remember what brand it was, I think it might have been a different Miracle Gro product, I had to use it because my plants were suffering and the couple I used it in really did not do well, the other ones I have are healthy and producing like crazy and they have been in the Natures Care Organic Miracle Gro since they were 2" tall (the video I posted is of 1yr old plants). I also use a 10/10/10 liquid fert I picked up from HD every month or so, now we also have well water here with good nutrients and no funky junk or chlorine....

solid7 said:
You can't call something low quality because it has fungus gnats. That's just wrong.

So do you actually read a post or have a predisposed opinion of a poster and shoot from the hip to make your point?

there were tons of tiny spider mites 
infested with these little gnat or gnat-like insects
they are all dying after using this soil with root-aphid
appears to have had aminopyralid contamination

Additionally you posted, "If I've got a lot of sand or human generated refuse in a mix, it's pure shit."

Dunno, seems to me you called this product "pure shit", I called it low value. I bow to the master!

curtsy10.jpg

solid7 said:
This was never about me.

Rather than being pedantic over a choice of term, why don't you validate for the OP that he can actually roll his own potting mix *cheaply*? You've now replied twice regarding the use of a word, and persisted in your quest to be right... But the entire substance of your previous post was just to tell him what not to do, in the vaguest of possible terms.

Why don't you support your assertion (of not "going cheap") with some sort of example, so the rest of us can make some sense of your perspective? It's possible that this is a new grower, who doesn't have the luxury of taking for granted what is "cheap", or "inexpensive", or whatever other synonym we've failed to add to the lingo matrix.

Based on your previous comment, the only conclusion that I can draw, is that unless something costs some arbitrary amount - which isn't inexpensive - it's a waste of time.
You made it about you.

Now that the drama has ceased and I am not trying to type from a 3" keyboard, I will retort.

1st. Words and how you use them are everything especially in a forum environment. Responding "that is absolutely not true" vs. that is not absolutely true makes a huge difference. The later would have been a done deal and I would have moved on as all are entitled to their opinions. And I know nothing I posted was incorrect.

2nd. Inexpensive has nothing to do with the quality of a good whereas cheap absolutely does. Inexpensive also has much to do with the amount of $$$ transferred whereas cheap again, does not. There is, for the 3rd time, a difference between inexpensive and cheap.

Additionally there is nothing wrong with Pro-mix. Its not required or essential but it works well and its already mixed so you pay for that service. There are other suitable pre mixed sub-straits available for more or less $$$. There is also nothing wrong with mixing your our growing media, providing you have the space to do that. But it should not be assumed new growers want to purchase large volumes of materials to blend themselves. If they do there are threads all over the forum indicating how with many different recipes.
Besides, 7+ cu ft is a lot of dirt. Oh, and by the way, your numbers dont add up.

CAPCOM said:
There is also nothing wrong with mixing your our growing media, providing you have the space to do that.
There you go! That wasn't so hard, now was it?

I had to eliminate a lot of extra ego driven fluff to help you make your point, but I'm proud of you for at least putting it in there. ;)

CAPCOM said:
Oh, and by the way, your numbers dont add up.
OK, I'm waiting for the correction... If you're right, you're right.

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
Dunno, seems to me you called this product "pure shit", I called it low value. I bow to the master!
Congratulations to you for thinking you won something. I said that fungus gnats are no litmus test for quality. I didn't endorse or denegrate any product, specifically. Just because I agreed with one point - to help the OP - that sand and garbage is no good. That doesn't mean that you've won some major battle. LOL

Keyboard warriors. God bless you all.   :pray:

Back