• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Miracle grow thoughts?

Fish fertilizer recommends once every three weeks. Could you alternate every two weeks between fish fert and MG bloom? Would they counteract each other?

By counteract if you mean destroy the soil web and all the living microbes in it I say yea. But if you're just ferting to provide the plant nutes then you should be fine. Unless you start to experience over abundance of flower drop. Then back off the ferts a while.

I would agree with Boost313. I also would use less than the bottle recommends as I think many of the fertilizer companies recommend higher dosages more for sales than what the plant really needs. Personally I would use the fish emulsion every week but in a diluted amount. If it recommends for instance 1 tablespoon per gallon of water every three weeks then I would go with 1 teaspoon per gallon weekly. I think lower dosages more often are better than higher dosages less often.

We don't know how much of either you'd apply, if you mean using as directed then you'd be putting too much fertilizer on in total by changing from a 3 week to a 2 week interval using the same amounts.

I am not convinced that adding some synthetics (a conservative amount) necessarily "destroys the soil web", but the amount and frequency of (any type of) fertilizer depends on several variables, you can either continually get your soil retested or make observations about how the plants are responding. Anything in excess can be bad but I see no evidence at all that my plants are worse off for having both organic and synthetic nutrient sources. Farmers have been doing this for decades using manure plus synthetic fertilizer with great success so long as they don't overdo it (large scale environmental issues aside).

Overall, if you give a plant enough supplimental nutrients to get as big, as fast as it can, then you run out of room in a pot and have to water more often. If not in a pot or using a very large pot, you can amend the soil with compost and easily broken down organic matter as the primary nutrient source (in addition to the soil itself), and can more effectively fertilize at 1/4th the directed quantity but twice as often (so averaging a half dose, or a quarter dose of each when using two different fertilizers).

Here's the question Randy: How are the plants doing? If you are happy with the results, the cost, and the time spent the way you are doing it, then rather than large changes you are needing only minor adjustments in method if any. However being in Florida I suspect your greatest challenge has been high temperatures.

"I am not convinced that adding some synthetics (a conservative amount) necessarily "destroys the soil web",

Totally agree with this in some way. I have been trying to fully research this topic myself. Google is no help. As it is a apparently the choice of growers. Fully one way or the other. No deffenitive documented proof to state otherwise.

As most use the synthetics for the ease of cost and use. While the organic uses them to grow 100% known ingredients for themselves and family. Or they are a commercial biz. That have to stay within FDA regulations to stay 100% organic certified. Either way it's still one way or the other, with no documented mixed results.

I would think tho the mix of synthetics and organics would take a toll on the soil web. As the build up of salts would affect the microbes from growing and multiplying. Now maybe in containers (and a one season grow). This would not play so important. But to try for more than a season "say bringing in overwinter underlights" to keep producing. One would more benefit as Guru said "feeding the soil". It all depends on ones choices of growing length and overall plant plans.

I too have been curious of the truth behind all this. As I have stated can't really find no evidence. Just know I haven't really had any luck with MG. Other than with plant growth. As stated earlier with pods, experienced a lot of blossom drop. You always bring good info Dave2000

When I bring plants inside I don't try to get them to grow over winter, only to keep their leaves as long as the temperatures and light level in my garage will allow - I just wanted to put a context on the next sentence.

I wouldn't give plants any fertilizer over the winter unless you see signs of deficiency. If a plant only maintains its leaves it is using very little nutrients to do so, mostly just a bit of water.

I find that plants I overwintered, absolutely need a dose of fertilizer for best results when they start to put out leaves the next spring, that there is not an excessive salt buildup but rather a deficiency. If I were repotting into a larger pot this is a chance to add some compost but if not repotting, adding a dose of synthetics does the job. In other words I don't pull dirt away, rinse roots, etc to replace all the soil - ever - If I had an uber valuable plant stricken with disease or soil pests I might do that but so far I have never had a need, can just compost it and start a new one.

Boost313, your blossom drop was likely due to the temperatures. Even in the most ideal conditions otherwise they need a break from high temperatures to set pods. It's sort of ironic that normally a little south of me would result in far higher yield from a longer growing season but this year temperatures were just too hot too many days in a row down south while I ended up with a better growing season than normal, except for the drought factor which caused a lot of time spent on watering.

outside i use fish emulsion (as per directions) every 2 weeks, and MG green (all purpose at half the box directions) on the alternating weeks. when i move in for the winter i use mg houseplant liquid at half dilution every other week. I have never had an issue. i use fafard soil mixes.

Back