• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

MisterNo's 2013 glog - still harvesting/processing... :)

It's that time of the year again, and I'm getting excited :)

I got my growing list set right at 50 varieties :fireball:
Not sure how I'm gonna pull ii off, but I sure will try :)

Here they are, in no particulare order:
Jalapeno Purple
Jalapeno M heavy corking
Fatalli Yellow
Naga Bhut Jolokia
Purrira
Bishop's crown
Red Cherry
Chile de Arbol
Big Jim Anaheim
Poblano
White Habanero
Habanero Mustard
Cayenne Thick
Habanero Red
Chocolate Habanero
Giant White Habanero
Habanero Jamaican Hot Chocolate
Red Savina
7 Pot Brain Strain
Serrano
Numex Bailey Piquin
Bhut Jolokia Chocolate
Cayenne Ring of Fire
Aji Cubanelle
Black Stinger
Cayenne Red
Scotch Bonnet
Somborckina
Vesena
Elephant
Yellow Trinidad Perfume
Tepin
Tigerteeth Habanero
Aji Yellow
Wiri Wiri ''Maa''
Tabasco
Peach Habalokia F2
Inca Berry
White Bullet Habanero
Yellow Trinidad Scorpion ''FG''
Red Rocoto
Wild Brasil
Yellow Datil
Fatalli Chocolate
Aribibi Gusano
Red Paper Lantern Habanero
Hungarian Wax
Orange Manzano
Orange Habanero
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon
Scotch Bonnet Orange

I got almoust everything I need ready for a start this weekend. Hope it all goes well...

It is virtually impossible to start them all in the same time, so I will try some long growing peppers like Manzano first. Any other suggestions on what to start first?

Hi Robert!
Indian Carbon is a nasty one, beware of it! :-)
It sucks that you did not get what you ordered from Semillas... I also wanted to order seeds from them, but I did not have time for that. (actually I forgot it....)
Did you order anything aparting from the 7 pot and the Fatalii?

Balázs

Hey Balázs.

I've ordered Rocotos (Yellow and Red), Green Habanero nad Morugas (Yellow and Red). Those plants  are growing 'true'' for now, will see when they start pumping pods. At least, I know that the hairy ones are true :D

I guess Semillas had some problems this season. I ordered from them because of lot of positive feedbeck was written from other growers, and they have a big list of varieties. Few other Croatian growers have also got mixed up seed from them.

I guees it's possible to mix up seeds or have crossovers when they have 1000+ varieties growing :D

It is good to hear that you have received some true seeds, too :-)
Time to time I scroll through the selection of peppers they have and it is impressive, I have to say. On the other hand, no matter how many varieties they have, they should be able to send the correct seeds to everybody. Mixing seeds is easy to understand if you are gettinng them for free, i.e. from THP members, because we are humans. If you order a TV, you would not like to get a fridge... Anyways I am going to order some varieties from them just to try them out. My only concern is that I have limited space for them, since my ghetto grow box is quite small.

How are your peppers doing, my friend?
We would like to see pictures! :-)

Hey friend, thanks for stopping by :)

Yes, they have a nice chilli seeds collection. Some of the seeds I got are true, but I think I'm going to file a complaint anyway, just to let them know they mixed up or misslabeled the seeds. I will sent you some true seeds if you like (just take a look at my grow list), no need for you to buy them :)

From my expirience, the best I've had were from THP memembers, Rick, Ella, AjiJoe and others :)

Regarding the peppers, I've been fighting snail wars all over
9eGFddE.jpg

I was on a killing spree today, killed dosen of them, big and small.
Everything is under control, just a few damaged leaves and no big damage, but I don't like them chewing my chiles :D

Moruga Yellow has started flowering, soon we will know are those Semillas seeds true or I'm in for another surprise :D
WBhst3R.jpg

Hi Robert,
Thanks for the generous offer, I think I will give it a try! :-) My seed sources were also stickman (Rick) and Ela. At the end of the season check my seed list, and choose whatever you would like to grow. Postage cost should be quite low, since we are neighbours! :-)
Snails suck... Have you tried the urban legend tricks? (salt, beer etc) There are some countries where you can rent Indian runner ducks to clean your garden from slugs, even the Spanish giant ones, what most of the animals just hate.
http://permaculturenews.org/2013/02/05/a-complete-guide-to-using-slugs-as-a-resource-with-indian-runner-ducks/
Nice cluster of buds on that Moruga plant!

Balázs

MisterNo said:
Yes, they have a nice chilli seeds collection. Some of the seeds I got are true, but I think I'm going to file a complaint anyway, just to let them know they mixed up or misslabeled the seeds. I will sent you some true seeds if you like (just take a look at my grow list), no need for you to buy them :)

Regarding the peppers, I've been fighting snail wars all over
I was on a killing spree today, killed dosen of them, big and small.
Everything is under control, just a few damaged leaves and no big damage, but I don't like them chewing my chiles :D

Moruga Yellow has started flowering, soon we will know are those Semillas seeds true or I'm in for another surprise :D

Sorry to hear you've had issues with snails and seeds from commercial sources growing true Robert. It sounds like you have things in hand with Peter at Semillas.de... can you get diatomaceous earth where you are? It doesn't have to be the food grade stuff that they use as a filtering agent, but if it's laid down on the ground around the plants you want protected in dry conditions, if any slugs try to cross the barrier they get cut up and bleed out. Walkgood says he's seen them "skiing" across it when the ground's wet though, which is its major drawback. On the good side, it's a non-chemical way to deal with slugs and snails under the right conditions without dipping into your beer supply,  ;)  and it's very cheap.

We'll keep thumbs crossed that the Yellow Moruga turns out to have grown true!

Just got a chance to check out your glog.  Sorry to hear about the "nots."  I have a few growing myself.  Bummer on the snails, also.  Aside from those two things, your grow looks great.  Even the "not" pods still look good.  Hopefully that Yellow Moruga grows true...love that chile! 

BTW, love the KK also.  Great flavor.

HabaneroHead said:
Hi Robert,
Thanks for the generous offer, I think I will give it a try! :-) My seed sources were also stickman (Rick) and Ela. At the end of the season check my seed list, and choose whatever you would like to grow. Postage cost should be quite low, since we are neighbours! :-)
Snails suck... Have you tried the urban legend tricks? (salt, beer etc) There are some countries where you can rent Indian runner ducks to clean your garden from slugs, even the Spanish giant ones, what most of the animals just hate.
http://permaculturenews.org/2013/02/05/a-complete-guide-to-using-slugs-as-a-resource-with-indian-runner-ducks/
Nice cluster of buds on that Moruga plant!

Balázs

You're more then welcomed :)

And thanks :)

Didn't try any tricks for the snails, never had big problems with them till now.
Yesterday I moved my plants a bit, and there were no snails this morning. IIf I seee them again around my plants I will try something out.

stickman said:

Sorry to hear you've had issues with snails and seeds from commercial sources growing true Robert. It sounds like you have things in hand with Peter at Semillas.de... can you get diatomaceous earth where you are? It doesn't have to be the food grade stuff that they use as a filtering agent, but if it's laid down on the ground around the plants you want protected in dry conditions, if any slugs try to cross the barrier they get cut up and bleed out. Walkgood says he's seen them "skiing" across it when the ground's wet though, which is its major drawback. On the good side, it's a non-chemical way to deal with slugs and snails under the right conditions without dipping into your beer supply,  ;)  and it's very cheap.

We'll keep thumbs crossed that the Yellow Moruga turns out to have grown true!

Thanks for the advice Rick. There are some non-chemical commercial solutions available here, but I'm not sure about diatomaceous earth, I will check it out!

DocNrock said:
Just got a chance to check out your glog.  Sorry to hear about the "nots."  I have a few growing myself.  Bummer on the snails, also.  Aside from those two things, your grow looks great.  Even the "not" pods still look good.  Hopefully that Yellow Moruga grows true...love that chile! 

BTW, love the KK also.  Great flavor.

Thanks for stopping in and checking out my glog Dock :)
Now I'm courious about the ''nons'', what will they grow into :)

Glad you liked KK, mines are just starting to pod up..

You got some nice closups Robert! The Jamaican Red pods are very much in the classic shape. It's nice to see what the Elefant pepper looks like... I didn't know it was that much wider than the Vesena, and corking up already I see...  I've never grown the Cayenne Thick or Purira, but the Big Jim Anaheim pods should get to at least 20 centimeters long.

stickman said:
You got some nice closups Robert! The Jamaican Red pods are very much in the classic shape. It's nice to see what the Elefant pepper looks like... I didn't know it was that much wider than the Vesena, and corking up already I see...  I've never grown the Cayenne Thick or Purira, but the Big Jim Anaheim pods should get to at least 20 centimeters long.

Thanks RIck :)

Jamaican Red also has few ''untrue'' pods, I think I'm gonna take them off, and let good ones develop faster
JMfEfIQ.jpg

Elefant looks much like Vesena, although you noticed good it is wider. I think that corking is not a stable characteristic in this early stages, i.e. your Vesena is corked, mine isn't.

Along with Ring of Fire, Cayenne Thick is my favorite for pickling.
Purrira is one of my all around favorites, beautiful plant and pods through all stage, and very hot. Makes a wonderful powder, also good fresh, pickled..  :)
Mine plant is still small, no new side branches yet, but already pumping pods
cWGKkup.jpg

Moruga Yellow starting a pod
YHcCNpb.jpg

Another ''fake'' 7 Pot Primo has started to pod up, I got 3 of those :D
Iy7k85P.jpg

About Big Jim...I guess that it is called Big for a reason :D

stickman said:
More nice closeups... you've got that skill nailed down it looks like! Are those Koreans behind your Purira?
Thanks Rick :)

No Koreans, Yellow Datil on the left, fake Primo on the right, and Elefant behind

Hi guys, just a litle update.

Things are getting up to speed, flowers and buds all over, there will soon be a lot of green pods to pick (no ripening yet) for pickling, stuffing and salsas.

Potted Yellow Rocotos finally flowering
vDNgcBR.jpg

NVBJSB0.jpg

Chile de Arbol, one of the few that are not flowering yet, but soon I hope :)
f6Up7Bk.jpg

Cayenne Thick, growing thin
0nXcfYz.jpg

But, since the seed for this one was 4 years old, I'm not complaining :D

Nice pics Robert! Your Vesena peppers are growing bigger than mine, great job! You know, those fake primos look an awful lot like Big Jim Anaheim chiles. It looks like the heat is finally where your plants like it. I hope it stays that way long enough for you to get a good harvest this season. Cheers!

Thanks Rick!

I also think it could be Big Jim. Although there is very similiar hungarian pepper I got from a friend last year, not sure about the name. I will ask Balasz, but I'm almoust sure it s Big Jim.

Vesena is also huge, I had to dig up some soil to give them space, they are getting longer and longer :D

Also, Vesena is getting some red color, it will be ripe much sooner then I thought.

Most of the peppers are doing great, I can't complain. Weathet is good, the heat is on, although night temps were still falling at 13-15 C last few weeks, wich is very unusual for this time of year.

Most of my varieties are setting pods. I've made a lot of pics, but I'm not at home this week so I can't upload any.

MisterNo said:
Thanks Rick!

I also think it could be Big Jim. Although there is very similiar hungarian pepper I got from a friend last year, not sure about the name. I will ask Balasz, but I'm almoust sure it s Big Jim.

Vesena is also huge, I had to dig up some soil to give them space, they are getting longer and longer :D

Also, Vesena is getting some red color, it will be ripe much sooner then I thought.

Most of the peppers are doing great, I can't complain. Weathet is good, the heat is on, although night temps were still falling at 13-15 C last few weeks, wich is very unusual for this time of year.

Most of my varieties are setting pods. I've made a lot of pics, but I'm not at home this week so I can't upload any.

The fake Primo looks exactly like what we call 'Pointed Hot' and which we eat green. Check Rapires F1 in Google. Although they are so big, that either you are pumping them up every morning, or they are Big Jim, as you wrote above.  :P

Back