• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Mitch's 2011/2012 Grow Log

Hi everyone,

Thought I would start a log with my chilli plants for the season. I live about 35 minutes north of Melbourne and I am relatively new to growing chillies (this is my second season). Last season I had some success with a naga morich (after months of flower drop), orange habaneros and african birdseyes.

This time I have spent a fair bit of money and time to date preparing for the 2011/2012 season ( aspiring to JungleRains efforts, however a long way short of that for now ;) ). My grow list is as follows:

Trinidad Scorpion (Butch T)
Douglah
Yellow 7 Pod
Naga Morich (overwintered)
Bih Jolokia
Chocolate Habanero
Orange Habanero
Peruvian White Habanero
Scotch Bonnet
Fatali
Bishops Crown
Aji Amarillo
Aji Lemon
Rocoto
Thai Chilli
Plack Pearl
African Birds Eye (Overwintered Bonsai Project)
Cayenne

I have built a raised garden, with raised rows and black plastic mulch (Other chillies will be grown in buckets):
bed.jpg

Few Pics of some varieties on the go:

Scorpion (Butch T)
scorp.jpg

Choc Hab
choc.jpg

Fatali
fatal.jpg

Rocoto
rocoto.jpg

Aji Lemon
ajilemon.jpg

Bishops Crown
bishops.jpg

Orange Hab
orangehab.jpg

Cheers and all the best for this season to all the fellow Aussies out there! =D

Mitch

A few more pics, sorry about the average quality, using the iPhone untill some pods come out later in the season (hopefully! =D)

Overwintered Orange Hab (Hopefully going to make it )
overwhad.jpg

Overwintered African Birdseye (turned into bonsai, looking good with new shoots coming through)
bonsai.jpg

Black Pearl
blackpearl.jpg

Aji Amarillo
ajiamarillo.jpg

Thai Chilli
thai.jpg

Cheers

Mitch

Hi everyone,

Just a little update on the chillies...

Planted Butch T, Rocoto Manzano and Bishops Crown in the raised beds ( Might be a little early being the last day of winter, however bit the bullet as there is a nice week of weather on the way, if they dont survive I have a few to replace them also):

Butch T Scorpion
IMG_0765.jpg

Rocoto Manzano
IMG_0764.jpg

Bishops Crown
IMG_0766.jpg

Also planted in buckets the following:

Butch T Scorpion
IMG_0763.jpg

Fatali
IMG_0758.jpg

Rocoto Manzano
IMG_0757.jpg

Bishops Crown
IMG_0760.jpg

Aji Lemon
IMG_0759.jpg

Black Pearl
IMG_0762.jpg

Still got Choc Habs, White Habs, Douglahs, Yellow 7s, Aji Amarillos, Scotch Bonnets, Orange Habs, Bih Jolokia, Cayenne, Peter Pepper and duplicates of the above coming.

Hope everyone is doing well, particularly those hit by the storm in the US.

Cheers

Mitch

Hi everyone :)

Just a little update.

Having problems with the raised beds, snails are destroying everything, so sticking with pots for the moment. Will get some of that copper tape (slugga) I think its called and wrap it around the sleepers surrounding the raised beds. I hear snails hate that stuff.

First of all bishops crown (growing 4 in a big pot, 45L, to see how they go)
IMG_0840.jpg

Peruvian White Habanero
IMG_0841.jpg

Chocolate Hab (dont have must hope for this guy)
IMG_0842.jpg

Aji Lemon
IMG_0843.jpg

Peper Pepper
IMG_0844.jpg

Chocolate Hab (egg shells surrounding to deter snails that took a few chucks off the left leaves)
IMG_0845.jpg

Aji Amarillo
IMG_0846.jpg

Orange Rocoto (2 in one pot)
IMG_0853.jpg

Bishops Crown
IMG_0854.jpg

Fatalii
IMG_0855.jpg

Trinidad Scorpion BT (looks a little yellow, tried magnesium and not much has changed, any help would be great)
IMG_0856.jpg

Black Pearl (got a few more of these)
IMG_0857.jpg

Fatalli (two close together in small pot, going to plant in big pot below, 48L, very soon, should grow together big and strong I hope)
IMG_0858.jpg

IMG_0859.jpg

Trinidad Scroption BT (waiting to be potted up)
IMG_0860.jpg

Trinidad Scroption BT (waiting to be potted up)
IMG_0861.jpg

Chocolate Habanero (waiting to be potted up)
IMG_0862.jpg

6 African Birdseyes (will plant together in big pot below, 52L, to make super birdseye I hope)
IMG_0864.jpg

IMG_0863.jpg

Thats all for now, hope everyone is off to a good start.

Cheers

Mitch

Excellent start to a new season! It is so exciting to watch your new crops start out as our's in America are sadly winding down. Good luck to you with your great collection of chiles.
icon_smile.gif

Thanks chileaddict! Looking forward to the season! Hope yours was good! :)

It turned out pretty good, considering I'm trying to grow superhots in a cool and rainy environment. I'm off to go fly fishing for a few days right now. When I get back, I will have my "big" harvest and post the pics. Never did a grow log, (wished I would have) so I will have to do just a harvest series of photos. I like how you started your grow log.

It's exciting to see a new crop beginning, thanks for sharing the experience Mitch.

Speaking from personal experience I've put multiple plants into extra large pots without anything spectacular occurring, hope you have better luck.

Back