• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

indoor Mold problems with potted indoor pepper plants

Northpole69 said:
that white fungus all over the drainage hole is normal?
it is when you keep over watering and keep giving them fish emulsion and grow them in tupperware. they need to dry out a bit and it cant be done inside the tupperware.

MarianneW said:
No, not normal. That means there's lots of rot for fungus to eat. My guess is that you're not trying to experiment with complex organic gardening indoors in pots, you just want to keep your plant alive this winter so you can plant it out in the spring.

How is your plant doing through all of this? If you've got that bad of a fungus issue, you may want to pull it out, toss the old mix & pot, wash off all mix from the roots, dip the roots in neem mix, and repot in a new pot with new mix, sans all of the additives you used. After you repot, water from the bottom occasionally and toss in some dissolved fertilizer sometimes and you'll have better luck.

I'm allergic to mold, I get why you wouldn't want festering moldy pot in your house. I wouldn't either!
keeping your soil alive by not spraying it with neem is not overly complex.  my comment about neem was simply that it should be a last resort.  Theres a symbiotic relationship between plants and the micobes in the soil and even the ones on their leaves. check out "Teaming with Microbes" by J. Lowenfels & W. Lewis. awesome book fascinating really.  The soil is rotting. its anaerobic decomposition because the soil is waterlogged.  NS69 hasnt posted pics so its impossible to tell what his problem really is but ill bet its not fungal its bacterial!  What does your soil smell like NS69, ammonia, swampy? They need time to dry out or they will die and adding more liquids is not the solution. i would recommend a re-pot also but at this point theyre so beat up Id wait till they were stronger to re-pot, if they make it.

Topsmoke said:
it is when you keep over watering and keep giving them fish emulsion and grow them in tupperware. they need to dry out a bit and it cant be done inside the tupperware.

keeping your soil alive by not spraying it with neem is not overly complex.  my comment about neem was simply that it should be a last resort.  Theres a symbiotic relationship between plants and the micobes in the soil and even the ones on their leaves. check out "Teaming with Microbes" by J. Lowenfels & W. Lewis. awesome book fascinating really.  The soil is rotting. its anaerobic decomposition because the soil is waterlogged.  NS69 hasnt posted pics so its impossible to tell what his problem really is but ill bet its not fungal its bacterial!  What does your soil smell like NS69, ammonia, swampy? They need time to dry out or they will die and adding more liquids is not the solution. i would recommend a re-pot also but at this point theyre so beat up Id wait till they were stronger to re-pot, if they make it.
smells like manure when wet, a barn, no ammonia smell

Lovepeppers said:
It should smell earthy.
Definitely that,

Last night I took the Butch T plant as an experiment and flushed 4 oz of straight HP 3% through the soil, 3 oz of apple cider vinegar, 3 oz of chamomile tea, then waited till it all went through (slow as hell! like an hour!) then I flushed it with 16 oz of water, let that go through, then mixed another 16 oz of water with pure cinnamon powder and finally flushed the 16 oz of that through.  I also sprayed 91% rubbing alcohol on all the bottom holes of the pots.  The Butch T plant looks fine and no mold!  So I am currently doing the same treatment right now to the others

rjacobs said:
The theme of this thread seems to be STOP PUTTING LIQUIDS ON YOUR PLANTS and yet you continue to FAIL at heeding the advice of everybody to STOP PUTTING LIQUIDS ON YOUR PLANTS and let them dry out.
I had to do something because the fungus was killing the plants, the soil was bone dry yet the fungus was way out of control.  After doing what I did, the fungus is all dead so far.  Pray tell, how did I make the wrong decision here?  If I did not put "any liquids" on the soil the plants would be dead now

MarianneW said:
No, not normal. That means there's lots of rot for fungus to eat. My guess is that you're not trying to experiment with complex organic gardening indoors in pots, you just want to keep your plant alive this winter so you can plant it out in the spring.

How is your plant doing through all of this? If you've got that bad of a fungus issue, you may want to pull it out, toss the old mix & pot, wash off all mix from the roots, dip the roots in neem mix, and repot in a new pot with new mix, sans all of the additives you used. After you repot, water from the bottom occasionally and toss in some dissolved fertilizer sometimes and you'll have better luck.

I'm allergic to mold, I get why you wouldn't want festering moldy pot in your house. I wouldn't either!
i put a ton of bone meal and fish emulsion in the potting mix that must be all the rot.  The plants are looking haggard but they seem to be stabilizing.  No new growth as I am sure they are building roots/fighting off the fungus/fungicidal flush.  Hopefully theyll be growing again like gang busters in a week

Topsmoke said:
always post pics when seeking help, good luck.
Here they are today after the big nuclear flush last night.  The sisters in the bucket are hurt the worst but all of them dont feel so great.  For some reason the Butch T never really changed at all even from the transplant and the nuclear, I almost wonder if it is dead yet still shiny and healthy looking.  Anyways, my favorite plant is the big Moruga plant and Im hoping they all recover 100% soon, the sisters look the worst.  I trimmed off a bunch of dying leaves and baby leaves that were not looking so hot and just before this pic was taken, I watered one last time with 4 oz of hydroponic water (1 gallon deer park bottled water, 3 grams 4-18-38 NPK tomato fert, 3 grams calcium nitrate, and 2 grams epsom salt) as well as spray misted the leaves with bottled water and that is the last time I plan on watering them for at least a week.  The brand of soil (Scotts moisture control) seems to dry fast and become brick like, I am assuming it stays moist inside though for long periods of time.  I have all the windows open in my apartment, the fan in the pic on high, and the ceiling fan in the living room on high.

Anyways, here's the current pics I just took:

http://s428.photobucket.com/user/Kurt_Easton/media/20151126_151705_zpstpsyev8v.jpg.html
http://s428.photobucket.com/user/Kurt_Easton/media/20151126_151716_zpsnctezvmu.jpg.html

Sisters
http://s428.photobucket.com/user/Kurt_Easton/media/20151126_153425_zpsnfmingte.jpg.html

Do you think they will recover and get swole again?  Especially the poor sisters in the bucket?

Thanks again everyone

PS: the brown on top the soil is cinnamon powder

time to get rid of the scotts moisture control , no need for cinnamon , also time to change your fert. mix . no need for high last 2 numbers .  those are for podding .      :onfire:

you are right, it is mold (yeah pics). Its commonly called Cobweb mold. I always have a little around the drainage holes of outside terracotta pots or rarely on top of indoor plants that arent draining.  If you let the plants dry out its usually no big deal. You'll never get rid of it now that it's there, especially in all the pores of the terracotta.  You'll have to settle for control.  Dry them out , the plants will survive a day in a dry pot.  wash the bottoms of all your pots and what ever you have them sitting on, I would use bleach. Fresh air, fungus actually does need oxygen to live these types just happen to like stale air which is why they like the drainage hole. Don't re-pot now but in the future use well draining plastic pots.  Ditch the cups and the ice bucket and the tupperware.  If you are serious about growing peppers then get serious and get the right gear.  If money is an issue pare down your operation, one reaper or moruga plant will give one person enough peppers for months. And do yourself a favor and read read read! Growing indoors can be incredibly difficult and time consuming.  At least thats my perception as I stated earlier - you now have to play the role of the entirety of nature. Good growing, and remember.. plants grow because they want to :cheers:

Well next pay check I probably will get some PVC pipe and a 4 light system.  Till then, here is my grow chamber, no moisture in it and it seems to work well

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwLLKNYqYllMZ1JNZ0pOenNmU2s/view?usp=sharing

And sorry I have no idea how to make it rotate (the video)

Topsmoke said:
you are right, it is mold (yeah pics). Its commonly called Cobweb mold. I always have a little around the drainage holes of outside terracotta pots or rarely on top of indoor plants that arent draining.  If you let the plants dry out its usually no big deal. You'll never get rid of it now that it's there, especially in all the pores of the terracotta.  You'll have to settle for control.  Dry them out , the plants will survive a day in a dry pot.  wash the bottoms of all your pots and what ever you have them sitting on, I would use bleach. Fresh air, fungus actually does need oxygen to live these types just happen to like stale air which is why they like the drainage hole. Don't re-pot now but in the future use well draining plastic pots.  Ditch the cups and the ice bucket and the tupperware.  If you are serious about growing peppers then get serious and get the right gear.  If money is an issue pare down your operation, one reaper or moruga plant will give one person enough peppers for months. And do yourself a favor and read read read! Growing indoors can be incredibly difficult and time consuming.  At least thats my perception as I stated earlier - you now have to play the role of the entirety of nature. Good growing, and remember.. plants grow because they want to :cheers:
moruga welder said:
time to get rid of the scotts moisture control , no need for cinnamon , also time to change your fert. mix . no need for high last 2 numbers .  those are for podding .      :onfire:

SM90 is your friend until you get a handle on why it's happening and how to provide proper growing conditions.

As well, try to avoid the clusterfuck response to perceived issues. Almost everyone has been there, the key is to slow down and implement one change at a time. There will never be a way to tell what worked and what didn't to resolve an issue if you continue to try new treatments before the previous applications have had a chance to work.

Avoid cinnamon, apple cider and all that nonsense. It's just wive's tales malarkey and will do more damage than good.

Back