• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Mold? Slime? What to do

Hello there. I’m a beginner at fermenting and started 3 different mash ferments in fido jars. I started woth no brine and 3.5% salt with fresh out the garden hot peppers.
After 6-7 days i noticed some yeast and maybe the beginning of some mold (tiny little fuzzy flakes). What I did is remove about 1/2 inch of the top mash, cleaned a bit of the top of the fido jar, added 3% brine almost to top and added some newly bought mason weights. Its been maybe 3-4 days now and i havent seen any mold again or yeast. In my opinion it smells alright (strong pickled like vinegar smell) and the brine got a little darker and slimy. What I’m wondering is, slime os bad or good? Should i toss it out? Sjould i wait longer? I dont want to make sauce and get someone sick.thx!
IMG_2732.jpeg

Last edited:
Can you post pictures ?

Usually, when a ferment is started.....sounds like you have a proper salt content... the jar should Not be opened. Utilising some type of bubbler or gas release mechanism.

Can you post pictures ?

Usually, when a ferment is started.....sounds like you have a proper salt content... the jar should Not be opened. Utilising some type of bubbler or gas release mechanism.
Done! Thx for the tip. Ngl i oppenedd maybe 2-3 times since adding brine. To either add the weigths, take sone brine out due to overflow and burp a couple times. The image i added was before adding brine and weigths. You cant see the mold or yeast on it yet

Back