• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Mold!!!!!!!

So I think I have some mold on my seedlings... There is some kind of moist green build up on the top of some of my grow plugs. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow. Is this a problem? All the plants seedlings seem to be doing okay. Should I add a fan?

A fan would help keep the tops of the plugs dry, and I'm quessing you are getting mold from them being warm and moist. Also try a solution of hydrogen peroxide mixed with water in a spray bottle, this should stop the mold. I would do 1 tablespoon hydrogen peroxide (3% strength) to 1 cup water. Spray the plugs with this, it should stop the mold growth. Also you could try to dunk the plugs part way in water, that way the tops do not get wet

schrade82 said:
some kind of moist green build up on the top of some of my grow plugs
     This sounds more like algae than mold. Although the algae itself is nothing to worry about, it is a sign of soil that is too wet. If allowed to continue, it could lead to mold. Water less and use a fan.

Hi there.  I am new to this and think we have the same problem.  I will post a picture of mine so we can see if we do in fact have the same problem.  Mine has a grainy/crumble appearance to it as you can see in the picture.  I hope in the end you can get your problem solved and your plants grow healthy.

pepperpot.jpg

I think it's either algae or moss. It looks like your plant is beyond the stage where it needs consistently moist soil. Allow it to dry out more and more between waterings and it should start to go away.

meinchoh said:
Yikes!!! That looks like astroturf!!!
Yeah it does!! Haha. I don't think I am a fan of these plugs I have....may have to try something different next time

dash 2 said:
I think it's either algae or moss. It looks like your plant is beyond the stage where it needs consistently moist soil. Allow it to dry out more and more between waterings and it should start to go away.
Thanks, I will give that a try. Think whatever it is will harm the plants?

schrade82 said:
Think whatever it is will harm the plants?
     Not in the slightest. (Ever been to a forest and seen moss growing on trees?) My only concern when I see moss in my pots is that an environment conducive to moss and algae is also the perfect place for mold to take hold. Just keep an eye out for fuzzy white stuff, especially if it's near the stem.
     Good luck!
jojo said:
I have a green layer on top too. I thought it looked cool, so I left them alone. Kinda forestry looking, eh.
     I'm like jojo. I kinda appreciate a little bonus green along with my seedlings.

Back