• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Molho de Pimenta

Hi everyone,

I just joined the forum today. I have searched and can't see that anyone has posted this, so I thought I would. It's a kind of fresh salsa, I suppose, but in Bahia, Brazil they call it "Molho de Pimenta", or "Pepper Sauce". This is an authentic recipe, from years of watching various fabulous cooks in Bahia and making it myself. It's normally made using malagueta chillies, but piri-piri also work well. Use it on anything, but particularly cooked dishes like feijoada. Would probably work well with anything made from meat and/or beans.

It's made using a pestle and mortar. Note there is no garlic involved.

The thing about this sauce is... the ingredients look simple, but you won't get it right unless you actually do chop the onion very finely, use a half-ripe tomato, lime instead of lemon and so on. There's no sweetness at all, and the final flavour is a balance of all the ingredients as described here.

MOLHO DE PIMENTA

Crush about six to ten malagueta chillies with a pinch or two of salt. Add about half a small onion, very finely chopped. Add a tomato, finely chopped. The tomato should be half ripe - reddish/green and firm, not red and sweet and not green either. Crush the chillies, onion, salt and tomato together carefully using the pestle. Add some chopped fresh coriander leaves, to taste. Add the juice of one lime and a dessertspoon or so of good olive oil. Stir together thoroughly and use immediately or can be kept a few hours in the fridge.

Welcome to THP land :welcome: What suburb of Melbourne are you in? I'm SE 'burbs near D'nong.

What foods accompany this 'salsa/sauce' How do you use it?

Hi Deathtosnails!

I am in Doncaster, not too far from you.

You would use this sauce with dishes like feijoada (the Brazilian national dish - a beans and smoked meats stew), dobradinha (white beans and tripe), fried fish, moqueca de peixe (fish & seafood stew) - it could obviously be used on plenty of Western/Aussie food - stews, casseroles, barbeque, fish. It might be good with chili, but never tried. It's great with fried fish, actually, come to think of it.

It's used as made fresh, just placed in a dish on the table and spooned onto the food as required.

Back