• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Mooglog 2013/2014

The first round of seeds are soaked and sown. 
All chinenses to start off,  other species to start in a month or so.

7 Pot BrainStrain Red
7 Pot Burgundy
7 Pot Jonah
7 Pot Jonah (spiky)
7 Pot Jonah Yellow
7 Pot Primo
7 Pot Primo Orange
7 Pot SR Red
7 Pot Yellow
7 Pot Yellow (different source)
Aji Panca
Antillais Caribbean
Bahamian Goat Pepper
Beni Highlands
Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon
Bhut Jolokia Peach
Bhut Jolokia x Habanero White Giant f3
Bhut Jolokia x Pimenta De Neyde
Bih Jolokia
Black Naga
CGN 21500
Datil
Devils Tongue Yellow
Dorset Naga
Fatalii Chocolate
Fatalii Yellow
Guadalupe Black
Habanero Big Sun
Habanero Chocolate
Habanero Green
Habanero Mustard
Habanero Peach
Habanero Peruvian White
Habanero Purple
Jamaica Scotch Bonnet
Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion F4
Nagabon Jolokia
Pimenta De Neyde
Seasoning Pepper (thanks Micca :) )
Snow White
THSC Naga 7
THSC Red Savina
Tobago Seasoning
Trinidad 7Pot Barrack Pore
Trinidad Douglah
Trinidad Perfume
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Red
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Yellow
Trinidad Scorpion Sunrise
Wasp

Once they sprout they'll go into the new, bigger and hopefully better hydro system. 

megamoo said:
What Trippa said.  They like the new growth and once you get to the stage in the picture the plant will not grow any new growth, even if you prune the affected areas off. 

When the temps drop below 35, (not for a few days at least!) I'm going to hit them with wettable sulfur. 

All my plants are suffering the heat too much at the moment.  I have to go through and check every dripper because they are probably clogged up. 

Also I'm losing a ton of pods to some sort of bacterial disease.  Not sure what it is because it looks like sunscald but it is appearing on pods that are very well shaded and also on several spots of a pod at once... ie. not just the side exposed to the sun.  Seems to be widespread across my garden.  :(

I did do a small harvest a few days ago though.
I will use a different backdrop next time :P
gallery_3629_131_97247.jpg

gallery_3629_131_567317.jpg

The ? are because I forgot what they were.  Many are the same varieties but different plants... In ground/ pots so I got mixed up :P
The Choc Bhut is a guess because they were supposed to be Primo Orange.  Didn't sow any Choc Bhuts this season.
The Bahamian Bird Pepper and Barrackpore NOT look very similar but close up it is obvious they are different. 
Hab Black is meant to read Hab Choc :P

Gorgeous.

It's hard to tell from here, but your Primos look kind of like Barrackpores...

Which of the 7 Pot types do you like best?

megamoo said:
Charge!

7 Pot Jonah Yellow recently lost a lot of pods to sunscald but its still going.
gallery_3629_128_275668.jpg

you ever eat one of those Jonah's mega? I grew one variety last season & it turned-out "scary hot" :hell:

Micca302 said:
Cheers for the input. I find it pretty hard describing taste quite often too.
Seems to have more heat than I remembered, but I was eating some superhots around that time that might have influenced it :lol:

No pods, they are only a bit bigger than seedlings. I ran too late with mine and when summer kicked in they stalled.

Micca
Mine are not liking the heat at all.  Some are wilting far more than they should and the leftovers in pots couldn't handle it and are done.  My seasoning pepper plant is doing fine, no pod rot or wilting.  I'm sure yours will come good when it cools down.

The hottest thing I've eaten is a Douglah.  Absolutely insane pain!  But I had eaten another pod just before so that probably made it worse.

PeriPeri said:
Holy smokes Moo! That is a lot of pods!
Yes it is :D  Almost all of the Jonahs and Brainstrains were rotten though.

stc3248 said:
Show off!!! :rofl:

Dunno where I been...but I'm here now!!!
Thanks for stopping by. :)

PaulG said:
Dang.   The Shanester beat me to the top again   :lol:

:cheers: You have a heck of a grow going there, Moo!
Thanks but it's quantity not quality at the moment.

Spicegeist said:
Gorgeous.

It's hard to tell from here, but your Primos look kind of like Barrackpores...

Which of the 7 Pot types do you like best?
After one and a half seasons my Primos and Brrackpores are yet to yield pods I'm satisfied with.
I grew a few Primos because I'm hoping to get a hooky one to save the seeds from.
Had small and weak Barrackpore pods last season, and this season its completely wrong!  I don't think its a mix up because on a close look you can sort of see the rough bumpy skin, but the pod shape is just small and pointy, and they're orange :P

I like the 7 Pot Yellow but I've only tried a few 7s.  Jonah is good but too hot for me to taste anything.  I'm itching to get at the Burgundy.

Dot Com said:
you ever eat one of those Jonah's mega? I grew one variety last season & it turned-out "scary hot" :hell:
Not the Jonah Yellow.  It's been hit hard by sunscald and blossom end rot, still waiting for a good pod.  Think I've had a regular Jonah pod chopped up and spread on food.  They are definitely seriously hot!  Just cutting them open you can see all the oil.   Scary is right!

PIC 1 said:
Quite a harvest shot...those are some nice sized Mourga Reds, I can imagine the fire those put out.

Been a harsh week here.  I got caught up in other business and nothing got watered for a few hot days, so anything that wasn't on auto watering withered up.  The excess chinenses are all dead but thats not a problem as they were excess anyway.  The others in pots wilted bad, so I watered them well.  I think most will revive, we'll see. 

The CalMagNit foliar feed seems to have stopped the BER problem on the mature plants.  They can have another dose in a few days. 

Some pictures

The most recent transplants behind the shed are settling into their new digs.
gallery_3629_131_433886.jpg

Hedge is doing really well.
gallery_3629_131_400941.jpg

Pods are weighing things down.
gallery_3629_131_58675.jpg

Douglah
gallery_3629_131_338701.jpg

Primo Orange showing some quality.
gallery_3629_131_250844.jpg

Primo Red doing enough to avoid being a total NOT but still not really what I was after.
gallery_3629_131_315480.jpg

This was supposed to be a Primo and the massive pods had me all excited and I've been talking them up in previous posts and I ended the video tour gazing at it.  They started to ripen but took forever and got stuck at a sort of dirty yellow colour.  I finally realised they were identical to the Habanero Mustard I had in the Chilli Hedge.  Had to be a mix up with tags after they were potted up first time.
gallery_3629_131_72079.jpg

Jonah plants don't have much foilage but are well loaded with pods.
gallery_3629_131_15995.jpg

gallery_3629_131_24748.jpg

You can see one with BER at the back.

Did a small harvest.  Lots of fancy names all look sort of brown. :P
gallery_3629_131_38965.jpg

Looking awesome mega !! Glad you sussed your issues with the rot out... Might be worth looking at the pH of your soil if you are getting BER ... If the pH is out it could be stuffing up your calcium uptake in the roots

Trippa said:
Looking awesome mega !! Glad you sussed your issues with the rot out... Might be worth looking at the pH of your soil if you are getting BER ... If the pH is out it could be stuffing up your calcium uptake in the roots
Thanks.  I'm sure you're right about that.  I've not had BER before but I've also usually put some dolomite limestone into the soil when I've made the beds.  Didn't do it this year.

GA Growhead said:
Those orange primos are dreamy!
Pod and more pods!
The hedge is going off!
Awesome Picts moo!
They are looking pretty damn special! 

Devv said:
Very nice work!

Nice plants and pulls!

+1 on 188, I have high ph and it limits the cal uptake.
Thanks.  I'll adjust it with lime.

Pinoy83 said:
those are some gnarly pods.... :onfire:
Yes they are ;) 
You should see my Jay's Peach Ghost Scorpion F4s.  They'll be ripening soon. :cool:

Dot Com said:
nothing like plants weighted-down w/ pods.  Thanks for the pod pron mega :)
:D

megamoo said:
Thanks.  I'm sure you're right about that.  I've not had BER before but I've also usually put some dolomite limestone into the soil when I've made the beds.  Didn't do it this year.

Thanks.  I'll adjust it with lime.

Hi Moo,
   Actually, it goes the other way... High pH numbers give you alkaline soil, and low numbers are more acidic. You want to lower the pH to make a more neutral soil. Peppers like it slightly acidic... say around 6.5 to neutral. I have some yellowing issues with some of my seedlings, so I'm treating them with foliar feeds of a weak Epsom salt solution and watering with a Humic acid solution... so far it seems to be doing the trick.

Yeah I get confused :p. I've got some sulfur as well. I suppose I should test the soil before doing anything.
The foliage feed is a good short term fix.

Your grow is rockin'. Moo!  The pod
colors are awesome!  Looks like a good
season there.

PaulG said:
Your grow is rockin'. Moo!  The pod
colors are awesome!  Looks like a good
season there.

stc3248 said:
Haha...the underworld is really heating up!!! Great looking plants Mega!
:D

PeriPeri said:
Nice haul there Moo! Awesome looking plants and pods!! Them Primo Orange look just like Reapers...
Yes.  Everything is ready for another harvest... and one of the Primo Oranges has turned :D  I'm going to have to grow those reapers next season.

Transplanted the final 32 plants and everything else has been binned.  I think I won't  go as hard next season because its becoming too much to look after.  Of course I said that this season too :P

All the new transplants have signs of mites so after treatment, then hot weather coming this week it remains to be seen if they will survive.  I'm hoping for an Autumn pod avalanche.  Will take some photos later today.

Back