Moonshine machine

I'm thinking 1 kg {2.2 lb} of Orange Habs into 21 litres {5.5 gal} of mash which makes around 7 litres {1.8 gal} of shine. Too much you think?

bentalphanerd said:
I'm thinking 1 kg {2.2 lb} of Orange Habs into 21 litres {5.5 gal} of mash which makes around 7 litres {1.8 gal} of shine. Too much you think?

Honestly I do.

For my habanero beer, I put 6 ripe orange habs in 5 gallons of beer.

My hot sauce swilling brother in law, who eats dave's insanity(I know that isn't the hottest, but it is HOT) every morning on eggs, can only take one sip of my brew and then drink some regular beer befor taking another swig.

I was shocked how much heat came through. I can drink one whole one and then I have to take a break.

But it depends. If you want it to be too hot for anyone else to drink, then OK.

I would think that you could always add more.

a word of warning!!! If anyone is interested in distilling Please do your research first. There are a few important things to know like the first big on is.....it's illegal to do in the states (unless you obtain a permit from the BATF to produce "shine" for fuel) and also if you don't know what you're doing, you can hurt or kill yourself or make ya go blind! You always always always throw out at least the first 50 - 100ml!!!!!!!!!! Thats where all the bad stuff is at!!!! and also know when to stop bottling cuz the tails can really taste nasty and not have too much alcohol in them......

+1 what Dyce said.
It is also illegal in Australia.

If you want to get pepper flavour into your spirits, I would suggest storing a brew away for a while (should be 90+% pure alcohol from a good still) with a bunch of your chosen peppers in it. Then dilute it as you would for any other spirit to around 40%. I would not trust the result if peppers went through the still - and would also not be confident that you will ever get the flavours out of the still, contaminating all future batches.

dreamboat

dreamboat said:
+1 what Dyce said.
......- and would also not be confident that you will ever get the flavours out of the still, contaminating all future batches.

dreamboat

You say that likes its a bad thing :lol:

I found adding a naga & a few ripe & green habs to the finished product does the trick nicely.

One can obtain a licence (just another god forsaken tax) and legaly make spirits in OZ, one just can't sell the final product.

I sat f the law in regards to this anyway, they rip us off too mych now anyway.

Hey Bent me and the old man want to purchase a still. Thanks Crudy Ruddy.

Can you point me in the right direction?

Your local home brew shop will sell you a still for "water purification" or extraction of essential oils. You will also be able to buy everything else you need for your first brew or two.

dreamboat

AlabamaJack said:
One of our band members has cousins in East Texas that make their own "shine". It is the smoothest shine I have ever tasted. Back in Mississippi, we just called it "corn licker". Got a quart mason jar sitting in my garage right now. That stuff will make you see things you never thought of.

Recipe, Please!

Caustic Casey said:
Recipe, Please!

what recipe you want? white liquor? rum? spiced rum? sour mash? J.D.? basic sugar wash? rye? you name it? ....But it depends on what kind of still you have? (if its a reflux or a pot still)

Novacastrian said:
Hey Bent me and the old man want to purchase a still. Thanks Crudy Ruddy.

Can you point me in the right direction?

Stills are very easy and fairly inexpensive to build yourself. You just need to determine if you want a pot still or a reflux still. (pot still you can get real nice flavor out of where as a reflux still strips the flavor but gets the Alcohol % higher)

xgrafcorex said:
on a side not, i've heard you can take cheap vodka and run it through one of those brita filter pitchers a few times and it really cleans up the vodka. haven't tried it so i can't say it works for sure, i do trust the person that told me though.

Never tried it either, but I've heard that from a few different sources.

If you want to get pepper flavour into your spirits, I would suggest storing a brew away for a while (should be 90+% pure alcohol from a good still) with a bunch of your chosen peppers in it. Then dilute it as you would for any other spirit to around 40%. I would not trust the result if peppers went through the still - and would also not be confident that you will ever get the flavours out of the still, contaminating all future batches.

Just wondering what you'd dilute with? Water?

to dilute properly you would check your abv with a hydrometer and slowly add water to dilute taking hydrometer readings to get to 40% or 80 proof

I would suggest that anyone interested in this subject,for educational reasons, looks at yahoo groups new_distillers
I have really learnt a lot from it, and have even built a still that purifies water!!!
I even considered moving to New Zealand where I could use my still to make alcohol.

Im not big into booze, but i have distilled ethanol from some plastic bottle vodka on several occasions. i used a simple glass distillation apparatus and it works just fine for small amounts. ~500ml at a time.

i was using the ethanol for solvent. i achieved like 95% abv by just carefully watching the vapor temperature.

That's quite the device that you've got there Bentalphanerd.

How have you been finding the finished product, is it quite smooth?

I might have to see if there is anything like that available in Canada.

dvg

Back