• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

More Identification Help!

Ok all - here's the deal:

I'm not growing many peppers. Between transplanting, etc, I lost a lot of the markers, and I figured I'd be able to tell what is what when the peppers went ripe... But I have a mystery pepper!!

I lost all of my bhuts, but my grow list is below...

Fatalii
Bhut Jolokia (N/A)
Naga Morich
Aji Dulce Yellow
Jamaican Scotch Bonnett
Congo Trinidad
Orange Hab

Here's the weird thing. I know for sure that the following is my Naga and Fatalii...

Naga
dsc01681naga.jpg

Fatalii
dsc01685fatalii.jpg

The mystery pepper LOOKS like a super-hot. It's pimplier than both the Naga and the Fatalii...

Unknown
dsc01682unknown.jpg

Ok... I have another mystery pepper, but this one isn't my fault. I purchased it at a greenhouse, and it was simply labelled "Italian Stuffing Pepper." I'd like to know exactly what it is...

dsc01664sm.jpg

From the chileman database, it seems like the Italia, but the top isn't as thick... Anyone have any ideas about either?

klyth said:

I dunno. This mystery pepper looks like a Naga Morich to me. Especially the upper one. I have a couple Naga Morich plants and this looks just like those just when the pods reach full size but have not gotten real bumpy yet and they are still fairly light green.

You sure the one you think is a Naga isnt actually a Bhut?

Skyjerk said:
I dunno. This mystery pepper looks like a Naga Morich to me. Especially the upper one. I have a couple Naga Morich plants and this looks just like those just when the pods reach full size but have not gotten real bumpy yet and they are still fairly light green.

You sure the one you think is a Naga isnt actually a Bhut?

Bhuts typically have 2 peppers per node - this has many more - up to 5... And I'm PRETTY sure the label in my nagas is correct. I'm also 90% sure all my Bhuts died.

It isn't Aji Dulce for sure imo and everything else can be ruled out, too. Maybe the seeds were mislabeled???

I was thinking about Lombardo, too, but the top is a big thick and all my Lombardos have a wrinkled top the green is lighter when the pods are unripe. Then again, there are several Lombardo varieties and I might have a different one. 915river's guess might be good after all...

915river said:
Klyth
My guess is for third one Friggatello or Lombardo Peperocini also can't be Italia because Italia pepper is like banana with tick flesh & very sweet.

This has very thick flesh, and its very sweet.

Chiliac said:
It isn't Aji Dulce for sure imo and everything else can be ruled out, too. Maybe the seeds were mislabeled???

I was thinking about Lombardo, too, but the top is a big thick and all my Lombardos have a wrinkled top the green is lighter when the pods are unripe. Then again, there are several Lombardo varieties and I might have a different one. 915river's guess might be good after all...

I don't think Lombardo, it doesn't have those wrinkles... And I'd say probably not Friggitello - they don't look right, and they're not bitter at all.

Volrathy said:
Anahiem ?

Possibly... They look quite a bit like the Anahiem M.

Any more guesses for picture 3 or 4?

And I guess it's possible the seeds were mislabelled. Anything is possible.

picture 3 sure looks like a superhot...naga or bhut to me...but then looks can be deceiving...my first impression was Bhut...

klyth said:
Bhuts typically have 2 peppers per node - this has many more - up to 5... And I'm PRETTY sure the label in my nagas is correct. I'm also 90% sure all my Bhuts died.

Its not uncommon to get up to 5 peppers per node on the bhut.

AlabamaJack said:
picture 3 sure looks like a superhot...naga or bhut to me...but then looks can be deceiving...my first impression was Bhut...

POTAWIE said:
Its not uncommon to get up to 5 peppers per node on the bhut.

I kind of think it looks like a naga / bhut as well - but it doesn't look like my naga, it's much less uniform in shape, and much more pimply... I guess it's possible a bhut survived and I wasn't aware...

It's strange... I have 7 plants, and only have record of 6 surviving... Maybe I should make better markers next year...

Back