• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

More Storm Damage

Once again, had a thunderstorm overnight that produced high winds and torrential downpours. Fortunately no more hail!

I've got 45 plants out, half since late May, most of the rest out since the first week of June. Had to replant eight up to this point due to weather damage. Almost lost a couple more that I didn't have replacements for, just cut them off at the ground and hope that they regrow. So far they look slow but they are coming.

I lost two Jalapeno plants last night. They broke off five to six inches above the ground. I have two indoor plants "in reserve" that are potted in 5 inch pots. They were hardened off several weeks ago, but have been living under the grow light since. Should I cut back the broken plants and hope they grow back fast? Or should I quickly re-harden my last two reserve plants and use them to replace the broken ones? I can't decide if there would be much difference as all of the new transplants seem to lag a bit while they reestablish their root system before they grow.

I live in zone 5, and I expect first frost could be as early as mid to late September.

Sorry to hear this. We've got he same thing going on here. Winds were wicked last night, most of the plants around here are facing downwind.

If it was me I'd get them all out there and hope for the best. Anyway you can protected them from the wind? Try stakes and string and such? Good luck!

I would do both if you have the room. There is no such thing as too many peppers. Sorry to hear of your damage. It sure has been a difficult year where the weather is concerned.

Mother Nature has been a real b!tch this year. Sorry to hear of your damage, but I would let the damaged plants recover AND bring out the reserves.

I probably should just plant the last two. They were "oops" plants that I happened to find in the germination tray three months after I planted them. Kind of surprises. They are just getting to be around 8 inches tall. Don't really know where I would put them unless I pull the two broken plants. Or I could squeeze them into the flower beds...

No kidding on the weather this spring. Don't quite understand how we went from summer drought with high temps in April to cold and cloudy in May, to the heat of the summer with storms in June. Whats left for July and August? Snow? I've tried to stake the taller plants. Probably should build some cages. Two of my garden plots are fairly sheltered but my biggest plot is not.

17 out of my 18 plants are all yellow cause of this "swamp" in my back yard!!!!!!!!! Could not tell you how much rain I have had this year........ Oh yea the one that is not yellow is in a 2 gallon paint bucket////

basstrackermd said:
17 out of my 18 plants are all yellow cause of this "swamp" in my back yard!!!!!!!!! Could not tell you how much rain I have had this year........ Oh yea the one that is not yellow is in a 2 gallon paint bucket////

This has been a crazy year for everyone I see!

Crazy is an understatement on the weather. I haven't had any rain since April and the temp was 104 today, 10 degrees above normal, and its June.

Back