• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Morouga Blend

Is the Trinidad Scorpion, Morouga Blend a cross of a scorpion and something else or is it just another type of scorpion? Does it grow true to type if grown from seeds?

I believe the T. Scorpion/Morouga blend is a cross between the Trinidad Scorpion and the Trinidad Morouga pepper. A stable cross like this one should grow true.

Alan

I'm the one who initially introduced it. I was gifted seeds from a friend in Tobago years ago. They were a special strain CARDI was growing I heard. It's hot as hell. I always have loved this one because it's quite a producer and the plants get large. I believe it's either the same or very close genetics to the 7 Pod Brain Strain PRF grows. Too close to tell the difference. I retained the name given to me by my source.

Chris

I grew the Morougas last year (thanks Chris) and they produced a lot of largish pods shaped not unlike the brainstrain 7 from Cappy...I don't think the ones I grew were as "Pimply" as the brain strain, but still the heat was still intense scorpion and the taste was very short lived before the heat kicked in...the ones I ate gave you an almost immediate burn as compared to the 7s or Bhuts with the delayed burn...as far as taste goes....by far, the 7 Pots are the best tasting peppers I have ever eaten....I grew two different varieties of the 7s this year...the brain strain (thanks Cappy) and the 7 Pot I got from Trinihottie (thanks Trinni) three years ago...the trini pods are very large...some weighing 12 gms or so...the brain strain pods had close to the same taste and heat but the pods were probably 2/3s the size of the trini pods...not saying anything negative about the brain strain at all here, they produced a ton of pods...and just the look of the pods are evil...

Back