• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

scovilles moruga scorpion new hottest in the world

I'm not sure but I think I may be growing these this year...will probably know today...gonna transplant my second tray this morning.....

If you look at the tests that were done on the different varieties, you can see the drastic differences between low and high ranges...I really like something more consistent...honestly, the only reason I am growing the scorpions is I simply like the pod shapes...do I eat them....on occasion, like once a year or so...and the colors they display during ripening is amazing to me...

Everybody jokes about "the new hottest pepper" but in 2 days or so you start seeing threads popping up "planted 10 morugas" or "any moruga seeds out there".

Its funny we laugh at these new hottest peppers, then we start germinating them. We create our own chaos.
Not me. I'm growing one plant each of the bhuts, scorps, 7 pots, brain strain, but not even bothering with the other 7 pot variations or chasing the other super hots. Most of my chillies are hungarian hot wax or blacks (pastas dishes, dried for hot paprika), or thai chillies for stirfries, and habs for pizza and sandwiches. If anything I wish I planted jalapenos (I did but they were all thai crosses), or serranos, and right now spending any time and/or effort into baccatums and rocotos.
I'm only growing 1 or 2 of the superhots for curiosities sake, and don't really see the point of more than one plant of each of them unless making a super hot sauce commercially. Which I hope to do eventually, which is why I'm growing any in the first place, to work out which is the easiest to grow, most productive. But otherwise they have no place in my kitchen or in my meals.

Interesting that the chocolate 7-Pot and then 7-Pot also top the T-Scorp on that list. So technically, there is also a new 2nd and 3rd hottest pepper. Or am I misreading that?

i like thet stats of the Choc 7 pot :)

too bad i only have one seed that sporuted this year...

is the red and yellow morouga are in the same "heat range" ?

i like thet stats of the Choc 7 pot :)

too bad i only have one seed that sporuted this year...

is the red and yellow morouga are in the same "heat range" ?

There are some misconceptions about this as the strain names have become a bit muddled over the years. There are "Morouga Red" and "Morouga Yellow" which are probably around habanero heat and are landrace trinidad varieties as potawie said. Then there are the TS Morouga Red and TS Morouga Yellow, which as far as I'm aware are only called that by www.chilliseeds.co.uk. The TS Morouga Red variety also goes by TSMB which stands for Trinidad Scorpion Morouga Blend. These strains are also effectively the same as the Brain Strain red and yellow strains with only slight differences between the two. I'm going to try some experiments between TSMB and Brain Strain Red seeds that I have this year to try to find the differences for myself, I think they're essentially brother and sister that have been separated at birth and started from the same genetics.

As far as how hot these strains are and what the record really is, all I have to say is I really don't care. At this point it's like squabbling over an A and an A+ on your english paper, the number means very little and probably would have been different if your professor was different or you had one more cup of coffee. The super hots are all in roughly the same playing field.

That being said, those are the kind of statistics I've been looking for for a long time. New Mexico always comes out with the best research because of this. You can call the TSMB the hottest, but look at the variation between high and low heat, it is extremely diverse. I experienced this last year, my first pods of the year were clearly under 1M and gave me a harsh burn but nothing crazy. The last pod I pulled off of the plant had my friends and I in tears. My friend had a piece that was probably half the size of a dime or less and he was in so much pain he had to sit down and complained of the burn spreading all the way up to his ears.

I'd also like to know if the Chocolate 7 that they used was a true Choco 7 or a Douglah. The big 3 brown supers (Choco 7, Brown 7, Douglah) are all different hybrids I believe. The Douglah was probably a natural cross from Trinidad and the other two were bred for I believe. Makes me wonder which seeds they have.

Sorry for the wall of text I tend to do that.

I wonder if they even tested the Trinidad scorpion-BT?
The scorpions they tested averaged only slightly hotter than bhuts, and the bhuts actually had higher "high heat"results. Seems quite strange to me. It will be interesting to see more info and discussion.

I was the one who told Geraldwww.chilliseeds.co.uk to call them Trinidad scorpion Morugas since he was selling them as Morouga red which like I said is already a Trinidad landrace pepper

Wow just searched the Institutes pages can't find the research paper anywhere, anyone else have a clue where to find the study.?

Wow just searched the Institutes pages can't find the research paper anywhere, anyone else have a clue where to find the study.?

I'd love to read it also. This might be the most interesting paper I've seen in regards to chilies and has been a long time coming. Even if they only analyzed four strains, it will give us a LOT of insight on the peppers. It looks like they also did genetic testing on them which I'm very interested in, it should help show the origins of all of these strains.

Its been asked early on, but anybody know the taste? I love me some heat but the taste does matter. Anywho so is this official now? man this is starting to get crazy with the constant changes, two official hottest last year alone. Funny, to see sites that havent been updated in forever though!

The seeds are cultivated with Worm juice, I presume. The worm juice supposedly enhances the defensive mechanism of the chilli, to make it more deadly and improves the general health of the chilli plant.I guess, this combined with some well planned growing conditions may help. I wonder if they went out and tested some random Chillihead's garden whether you'd get similar results. I've read that these chillies are only around 300-500,000 scu when grown normally.

I'm thinking that here in PacNW with our climate I won't get the mighty
heat the chilis are capable of producing. Which is okay - I'm really look-
ing for good taste and will work up the heat scale as I go. Maybe I'm
wrong about growing in this region, and they will be hotter than hades.

over a 25% increase over the previous record seems like a bit much
I think the mean should be used, not the 1 result that was possibly way hotter than the rest
All this really proves is that The Scorpion Moruga blend has had one test of 2 mil and many tests way, way lower so I guess sometimes it is the hottest (at least once) but other times it isn't :)

Back