• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Moshmans 2010/11 Grow Log

So far my grow season has been satisfying for me. I must say though, with out my overwinters, I would probably not be as happy as I am

My grow list goes a little like:

Douglah (Tooninoz)
Fiji Embers (Tooninoz)
Red Habanero (Market bought pods)
Big Reds (Market bought pods)
Yellow 7 Pot (Gasificada & THSC)
Bhut Jolokia (Ebay)
White Hab (Ebay)
Chocolate Hab (Ebay)
Orange Hab (Bunnings)
Morouga Red (Niel THSC)
Bonda Ma Jacques (THSC)
Burkina (THSC)
Aji Lemon (THSC)
Peri Peri (Ebay)
Yellow Bhut (Gasificada)
Jalapeno (Woolworths)
Trinidad Scorpion (THSC)

My overwinters were: (x1 each)

Long Green (Woolworths pods)
Birdseye (Woolworths pods)
Trinidad Scorpion (Ebay)
Bhut Jolokia (Ebay)
Chocolate Hab (THSC)
White Hab (THSC)

My seedling succes was as follows:

Douglah (Tooninoz) - Near 100% germination
Fiji Embers (Tooninoz) - Still trying to germinate
Red Habanero (Market bought pods) - Germinated like wildfire
Big Reds (Market bought pods) - As above
Yellow 7 Pot (Gasificada & THSC) - Near 100%
Bhut Jolokia (Ebay) - 2 out of about 40, which both died
White Hab (Ebay) - None
Chocolate Hab (Ebay) - None
Orange Hab (Bunnings) - I bought this as a seedling, it now has the biggest orange hab I've ever seen on it and lots more pods growing big
Morouga Red (Niel THSC) - 1/2
Bonda Ma Jacques (THSC) -70%
Burkina (THSC) - None
Aji Lemon (THSC) - Within about 3 days about 75% had germinated
Peri Peri (Ebay) - None
Yellow Bhut (Gasificada) Still trying to germinate
Jalapeno (Woolworths) - Don't even know what happened to them, possible alien abduction
Trinidad Scorpion (THSC) - 80%

From the seeds that germinated, I lost around a quarter to Mackays love of never having predictable weather, one day it is hot and sunny, the next it is raining for 4 days straight, then it will get really windy and snap any seedlings that may have become weak during the rains. I knew this, that's why I started so many seeds.

My method for germinating the seedlings was to place in damp paper towels and roll up in ziplock bags and keep in a plastic chinese takeway container. When the dogs-ears had emerged, I would place in a plastic cup or a seedling tray in some seed raising mix, and place in the yard to recieve morning and afternoon sun. The watering of these was tricky as they didn't like a lot of water but also would dry out in a moments notice.

Things I would do the same and differently next year:

DO
germinate using a ziplock bag
use seedling trays
only provide morning and afternoon light

DON'T
plant the germinated seeds until 3 or 4 days after they sprout leaves to give them the best possible chance
use clear plastic cups to put seedlings in, they got too hot and dried out too quickly and I had the worst success rate with the seedlings in plastic cups
put the seed trays on ground level as the cane toads love to sit in the trays and break all your seedling stems at night

My overwinters and surviving seedlings loving life:

P1020609.jpg

My Chocolate Hab:

P1020608.jpg

White Hab:

P1020607.jpg

Bhut Jolokia - possibly a hybrid:

P1020606.jpg

Orange hab, some big pods forming at the moment:

P1020603.jpg

Birdseye:

P1020601.jpg

A close up of the "bhut jolokia":

P1020597.jpg

IMG_0638.jpg

IMG_0636.jpg

IMG_0635.jpg

Orange Hab

IMG_0634.jpg

And another shot of the birdseyes with greenhouse box in background

IMG_0630.jpg

I can't wait for some of my seeldings to do better. The weather has just been horrific here for seedlings and if you combine that with canetoads it really isn't nice.. Once they reach a certain size up this way it is all smooth sailing but until then it is never certain.

One more seedling that is making it, Bonda Ma Jacques

IMG_0640.jpg

Thanks Mascal. This crazy weather we are having has been pretty bad for the plants but my bigger ones are really set in and look indestructible right now. We are now on a 50% chance of getting a cyclone through here at the moment so we'll see what happens.

Back