• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Most distinctive flavors

I've seen a lot of topics asking what peppers have the best/worst flavor or the most heat.
What I'm curious about though is what peppers would qualify as the ones with the most distinctive flavor.
To me those varieties that make you say "oh hey, this is something really different to everything else I've tasted" make growing peppers a worthwile experience.

Just when I thought I couldn't be surprised anymore by peppers I tried a Pimenta De Neyde yesterday, it's unlike anything else, I even find it very hard to describe.
I don't quite like it but it sure is an interesting variety so sure worth giving a try!

So what peppers do you think have the most distinctive flavors?

Bahamian Goat Pepper has a very unique flavor in my opinion.   I will be sampling it again this weekend so I can give you a better flavor profile after I do so.

Chocolate habs have a fantastic taste, but then so do Cayenne. 
I personally don't like the flavour of the malagueta or orange hab.

Nightshade said:
the most distinctive that I have tried is like it or not the butch t is very distinct I personally hate the flavor
How does it taste, and does the Moruga taste any better? 

Jamaican hot chocolate

aji omni-color

aji lemon drop

aji pineapple

fatalii

these stand out as being distinctive, funny too the AJI PINEAPPLE and AJI LEMON DROP look identical but there totally different in flavor

thanks your friend Joe

Nightshade said:
the most distinctive that I have tried is like it or not the butch t is very distinct I personally hate the flavor
The scorp taste reminds me of the little 'Apache' chillies I grew a few years ago. I'm not that keen on the taste either... 3/10 in my books.
Orange habs add a very distinct pungent flavour to any dish.

I had my first Aji Amarillo last night and loved it!
The strongest citrus flavor I've ever experienced in a pepper. Very lemon-like.

Nightshade said:

Maybe not "hate", but I'm definitely not a big fan of the flavor.

I've been pleasantly surprised by how unique the peach habalokia's taste is. When eating the whole pepper they taste like the name would suggest, but in small slices on a cracker with cheese, they add a crisp fruity pepper flavor.

mlh5953 said:
I had my first Aji Amarillo last night and loved it!
The strongest citrus flavor I've ever experienced in a pepper. Very lemon-like.

Maybe not "hate", but I'm definitely not a big fan of the flavor.
i love those i forgot that one!!

Really love this thread as I'm more interested in the flavor of the pepper. I always use Fatalii's in place of my Orange Habs when I have them. Much smoother than a Orange Hab and not as bitter to me. Unfortunately my Habs are producing like crazy and my Fatalii's are on some sort of break. 

The Fresno's I got this year are incredible. I let them get real Red and they are full of outstanding flavor. I ate a Mariachi Hot a couple of days ago and that had a real sweet fruity taste with just enough heat. Really enjoyed it. 

I heard the Jamaican Hot tasted a little better than the Chocolate Hab. I want to try both. I have one Jamaican plant but it still has not produced. 

Can't wait to grow and taste some of the other varieties listed above next year.

From the habs='''''''''' chocolate habanero
From the nagas/bhuts ,,,black Naga
From the Mexican variety ,,, chili de arbol
From the Trinidads ,,,,,,,yellow 7 pot
From the Ajis !,,,,,,,,,,,,,aji Amarillo
From the wilds ,,,,,,,,,,,chiltepin

Back