• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Moth/Grub Identification

Hey guys, I know alot of you are in America but maybe we share an enemy?
Do any of you know what type of moth/grub this is and how i can control it? Its destroying alot of my chilies!!
P1030659_zps204e26a2.jpg

P1030661_zps59a86b74.jpg

P1030616_zps290c16cf.jpg

M8 the moth situation getting worse up here and seeing more pd destruction and they don't seem to around just a night I watered a plant and bumped it and it was like opening my wallet!

Are you 100% certain the moth shown is the adult stage of the larvae shown?

I would guess European Corn Borer as well.
yes 100% sure. I opened a pod and checked to see it had one of those larvae in it and then put the pod in a bag and left it. Out hatched that moth.

I agree that the larvae looks the same as the corn borer but the moth looks very different.
I've sent an email with pictures to the department of agriculture, so I'm just waiting on a reply now.

here it is! Reply from Department of Agriculture

Sceliodes cordalis, the eggfruit caterpillar. Gets in Solanums (chillies, tomatoes, eggplants, capsicums & other … )
Hard to control because the adult lays eggs which get into the (usually green) fruit and damage before the grower knows it is infested.
Chemicals cant control this unless you aim at the adults which usually lay at night. You can cover chillies in muslin or the like …

I asked what chemicals he suggests ..

Try
permethrin , pyrethrin or cyfluthrin..

Back