• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Moving Advice, 100+ Plants Involved

spicy_echo said:
500$ would be worth it to me if I was going to start a business.

Considering I've spent over $6,000 already getting the name, equipment, plants, and everything else, $500 doesn't seem like much. But since I've already spent that much, along with moving costs and everything else, I really can't afford it.
I'll be making sauce either way. I've just been purchasing the Habanero peppers and making sauce with them. My "original" sauce is what I'll be making with my very special crossed pepper variety.

cool beans. Best of luck! If everything works out right, you won't even miss that investment money soon enough

Dustin said:
If I ship them on Monday, it will only take them 3 days and have them there by Thursday. It's possible, but its still almost $500.
In the 1st post you mention you wanna go full time hot sauce... (I assume that means you Wanna live off of the sauces... If you think that 500 for your business assets is too much - you might want to rethink the whole thing (sorry if I sound patronizing).

Otherwise +1 for cloning - and have the clones in the car with you.

Best of luck... Al

Al-from-Chile said:
In the 1st post you mention you wanna go full time hot sauce... (I assume that means you Wanna live off of the sauces... If you think that 500 for your business assets is too much - you might want to rethink the whole thing (sorry if I sound patronizing).

Otherwise +1 for cloning - and have the clones in the car with you.

Best of luck... Al
That's what I've been trying to touch on! Go for it, dude! This is something you want to make a living from! You need to get those plants there so you're growing and making from the get go!
Buying peppers to make sauce for a living gives you a lot of overhead, if you plan on producing bulk..... Just sayin'. How much are you going to spend on peppers for the next year?

While I will be doing this full time, I'll also be working another job to support my endeavors. That is, unless my Kickstarter project turns out better than expected. If I can get my security deposit back from my apartment before I move, I'll be able to ship them. If I can't, I'll have to figure something else out. I never said $500 was too much, I just don't have it.

Yeah. $500 to UPS them is sounding better and better the more I think about it, even if it puts me more into debt. Once these plants start producing, I could easily make back the cost. I'm paying $6.25 per pound for Habanero peppers right now.

I helped my sister move a few years ago and with the door open on a PODS it was still 145 in the back up top(I found my Brother-in-law's infrared thermometer :) )  I unloaded semi trailers for a few years and even at 645 in the morning on an 80 degree day just opening the door made you sweat.  

Save your ass and ship those plants.

Dustin said:
Considering the trailer will be going through SoCal, Arizona, New Mexico, and the West Texas deserts during summer...I think you might have a really good point. :)

And we are somewhat up in the mountains of East Tennessee.

It would be a lot of work, but you could consider unpotting them, knock the dirt off the roots, trim off most of the leaves, cut the stems to length and dense pack them in a box for overnight shipping.  You'd need to put the roots in a plastic bag with some damp peat or shredded newspaper or something.  You could even throw in one of those "blue ice" packs, wrapped in a towel or something.  I just received some hops cuttings from Oregon that were shipped overnight and even though it was mid-90s here when they arrived, they seem okay.

Well...11 days in the shipping container and they all seem to still be alive. Sure, most of the leaves are missing, but the plants themselves seem well enough to recover. I just soaked them all the night before, put them in open boxes, and that's it. I guess having a sealed container with all that moisture created somewhat of a greenhouse effect inside the container.

The only issue I have to deal with now is having them survive in the 100+ degree that Austin is currently having. That is almost a 20 degree difference from what they are used to.

Back