• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Moving house

This weekend I will be moving out of my student accommodation and heading around 100 miles south. I was wondering whether transporting my 8 plants; which are around 4 inches tall at the moment, will have any ill effects? If so how can this be minimized?

Has anyone had to move plants on such a scale, and if you did how did you do it?

Thanks, Matty.

You shouldn't have any problems. Just make sure to put them into something to keep them from falling over during transport. If you break the main branch then it will set you back. Good luck and good growing.

Charles

you should be fine as already mentioned find something to put them in where they are tight and they wont fall over and you are good to go...

only issue I could see possibly is if you 100 mile trip drastically changes your elevation. Thinner air or more dense depending on going up or down.

You shouldn't have any problems at all. Think about the growers like Cross country nursery or the chile woman who box their plants up and ship them all over the place. Those survive in a box, getting tossed around by multiple delivery guys, traveling across state lines over a period of a couple of days and they usually arrive unscathed. So with the proper protection your plants should be fine over a relatively short trip, the only problem you could have is if you encounter any freezing temps along the way.

This weekend I will be moving out of my student accommodation and heading around 100 miles south. I was wondering whether transporting my 8 plants; which are around 4 inches tall at the moment, will have any ill effects? If so how can this be minimized?

Has anyone had to move plants on such a scale, and if you did how did you do it?

Thanks, Matty.

Hey Matty. I live in CT my folks and the Soup kitchen garden the little town i am from provides is 150 miles north of my location. Elevation change.. me 15 feet above sea level.. to 540 feet above.... we have never noticed an i'll effect from elevation change.. but climate change within 150 miles is large.. their growing season is 2-3 weeks behind mine. So my happy plants i bring need a little watching for the first few days.. this year the day i made the huge delivery of veggies.. my temp in CT was 74.. temp at destination high of 54 and low that night went to 38.. had the Pops keep them inside the house for the night... just my 2 cents.

I like people we see in a pickup, plants in the back not covered and they're goin 85 miles an hour down the Interstate.

Hey Matty. I live in CT my folks and the Soup kitchen garden the little town i am from provides is 150 miles north of my location. Elevation change.. me 15 feet above sea level.. to 540 feet above.... we have never noticed an i'll effect from elevation change.. but climate change within 150 miles is large.. their growing season is 2-3 weeks behind mine. So my happy plants i bring need a little watching for the first few days.. this year the day i made the huge delivery of veggies.. my temp in CT was 74.. temp at destination high of 54 and low that night went to 38.. had the Pops keep them inside the house for the night... just my 2 cents.

I guess that I should have mentioned that I'm growing indoors under a HPS... so the climate won't be changing hugely. The only difference may be the elevation change, but that won't be as large as mentioned by you.

I shall be keeping a close eye on them either way, can't take my eyes off of my babies haha.

Thanks all :)

Hello all, so the move seemed to go well! Nothing fell over and there were no casualties :)

I've transplanted the little ones and they are in glorious UK weather for the first time.
Here's some pictures:

Super Chilli:

3a238fd3.jpg

1b1eea5e.jpg

bde9af64.jpg

Habanero:

b0d07448.jpg

Hab on the left and Super f1 on the right:

ab9d4251.jpg

dfabec4b.jpg

"Cayenne" :

5bd049e5.jpg

Bulgarian Carrot covered in aphids :/

9966c589.jpg

The aphids seem to be subsiding somewhat after I scraped them all off, and have retreated even further now that the plants have been transplanted into individual pots.

Hey Matt, nice plants you got there.

I was going to comment on you cayenne pepper that is literary exploding with growth.
But then I noticed that it doesn't really look like a cayenne... probably mislabeled?

Bleash

Hey Matt, nice plants you got there.

I was going to comment on you cayenne pepper that is literary exploding with growth.
But then I noticed that it doesn't really look like a cayenne... probably mislabeled?

Bleash

Ha yeah it is growing in all directions now! The pods seem to be more of a jalapeno-type, I cut one up yesterday and I have to say that it was considerably hotter than I remember jalapenos being!

I found this little guy at a nursery today :

db4c85fd.jpg

As you can probably see, the label says its a scotch bonnet :) either way, doesn't look bad for £1!

"The aphids seem to be subsiding somewhat after I scraped
them all off and transplanted into individual pots."

usually i just spray mine with neem and ivory soap

how industrious of you to bury each one it looks like you have hundreds in the photo
how do you hold the little buggers at the correct depth and what size pot for aphids?

too bad they are subsiding, do you think if you scraped them all off a little more 'gingerly' that more would make it?

what recipe calls for aphids? can you provide link?

"The aphids seem to be subsiding somewhat after I scraped
them all off and transplanted into individual pots."

usually i just spray mine with neem and ivory soap

how industrious of you to bury each one it looks like you have hundreds in the photo
how do you hold the little buggers at the correct depth and what size pot for aphids?

too bad they are subsiding, do you think if you scraped them all off a little more 'gingerly' that more would make it?

what recipe calls for aphids? can you provide link?

Ha, funny guy aren't you :)

Surely you knew that I meant I potted up the different plant, not aphids...or was making an assumption too much for you?

No no, I'm just about sane.

I can't say that I like to try and grow bugs in little pots. I would be a bit mental then.

it would be my problem of not understanding
sometimes the terminology here in like california does not mean the same thing
here pissed means mad and there it means another thing

i may have an idea about a scrum but know nothing about a wicket

it would be my problem of not understanding
sometimes the terminology here in like california does not mean the same thing
here pissed means mad and there it means another thing

i may have an idea about a scrum but know nothing about a wicket

Ahh I see.
I thought that you were trying to point out my really poor grammar! After re-reading, I realise how much it doesn't convey what I wanted to say ....my bad!

Back