• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

indoor moving plants indoors

It's starting to get colder here in buffalo and I'm thinking of trying to over winter my super hots this year to get a better yield next year. My issue is that i had planted them in my raised garden. What I'm wondering is if it would be to much stress to put them in pots and bring them inside? When Is the latest I could do this and whats the best way to approach it?

I know if you want to move a big tree, you take a super sharp transplant spade, and cut the roots every other shovel width around the tree. Now wait.... the larger roots will start to grow the fine roots ya need. Keep watered... soon it will be time to take it out. Have ya ever tried to do a transplant, and the roots were 1 in round all over and no root ball? Probably died shortly there after. Makes sense to me... or I would guess pot up now and you will have a little time for it to get over transplant shock, before ya shock it again. my .02

In my opinion up until he gets his in-detail overwinter tutorial up this year.. Guru has the most informational thread on THP for that and much more. I've learned way to much reading all his info.. he also plants his in the ground every year.
http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/21940-gurus-18-acre-fabriculture-5-yr-mothers/page__hl__overwinter%26%23092%3B

Goodluck.
Brandon

In my opinion up until he gets his in-detail overwinter tutorial up this year.. Guru has the most informational thread on THP for that and much more. I've learned way to much reading all his info.. he also plants his in the ground every year.
http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/21940-gurus-18-acre-fabriculture-5-yr-mothers/page__hl__overwinter%26%23092%3B

Goodluck.
Brandon
very good stuff, i was told you can dig up the plant prune the roots and the canopy , put it in a pot and keep it by a sunny window and water it only when very dry and give it a diluted dose of ferts couple times and once it starts to warm back up the plant will start to grow out! i will be trying to grow them year round here in Sand Diego but we will see how that goes!

Good luck!

Eric

What I'm wondering is if it would be to much stress to put them in pots and bring them inside?
Well, it would be less stressful than leaving them in the snow.... :cool:

"When Is the latest I could do this and whats the best way to approach it?"

Dig 'em up before it frosts. (Mid October??) Hose 'em down. Trim rootball to size of fist. Trim (butcher) the stems and defoliate them, leaving only a 8-10 inch trunk with nodes. Hose 'em again. Get a sterile pot and sterile growing medium. (If not sterile your aphid friends now have a new winter home.)

Sunny bay window approach:

Put them in a south window, or buy some uber-lights and maintain a growing regimen. New leaf growth will appear in a couple of weeks. Aphids and fungus gnats will appear at some point unless you adhered to sterile cockpit rules above. They might appear anyway.

or--the dungeon approach:

Put your sad, stubby trunks in 1-qt pots in sterile medium. Water one time to settle the medium and put in a cool place with *some* light. Induce a semi-dormancy. Do not put in a sunny window until around February. Foliage prior to this is not desirable. In Feb, feed lightly, consider a pot-up--and pray. If they revive, put 'em back in the dirt when warm and toasty outside, around late May...:cool:

or--bonchi:

do bonsai plant with the little trunks. Un-bonsai them when spring returns.

Finally: Advice given by anyone from SoCal, Texas or Florida? They only need to park inside a few weeks, if any. You, in the far north, face a 6-month out of ground experience, a different game plan. Expect some causualties....

Well, it would be less stressful than leaving them in the snow.... :cool:

"When Is the latest I could do this and whats the best way to approach it?"

Dig 'em up before it frosts. (Mid October??) Hose 'em down. Trim rootball to size of fist. Trim (butcher) the stems and defoliate them, leaving only a 8-10 inch trunk with nodes. Hose 'em again. Get a sterile pot and sterile growing medium. (If not sterile your aphid friends now have a new winter home.)

Sunny bay window approach:

Put them in a south window, or buy some uber-lights and maintain a growing regimen. New leaf growth will appear in a couple of weeks. Aphids and fungus gnats will appear at some point unless you adhered to sterile cockpit rules above. They might appear anyway.

or--the dungeon approach:

Put your sad, stubby trunks in 1-qt pots in sterile medium. Water one time to settle the medium and put in a cool place with *some* light. Induce a semi-dormancy. Do not put in a sunny window until around February. Foliage prior to this is not desirable. In Feb, feed lightly, consider a pot-up--and pray. If they revive, put 'em back in the dirt when warm and toasty outside, around late May...:cool:

or--bonchi:

do bonsai plant with the little trunks. Un-bonsai them when spring returns.

Finally: Advice given by anyone from SoCal, Texas or Florida? They only need to park inside a few weeks, if any. You, in the far north, face a 6-month out of ground experience, a different game plan. Expect some causualties....

Plus 1 on this great info!

http://ghostpeppers.com/growing.php
WINTER
Bring indoor once night time temperature dips under 50 F
Use Full Sun Flourescent Bulbs
Keep indoor Temperature at 75 F
Get Ladybugs to eat aphids

Back