• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

mrgg*s PURPLE playground

Starting a purple thread. While there will be pictures of normal green plants, the main focus will be the color PURPLE  :eek:

Got a few varieties of things that came in, but only germinating a few for fun since it's so late into the season already. If anything, my plan is to toss a few pics up here and there at my leisure. 

Enjoy!

Here are most of the things I started. This is mostly just a preview for next year when I run more seed to select through. I know not all of these are purple varieties; a few I just wanted to try sooner than later like the Brazilian Starfish and the Fish Pepper. 
IMG_4056_zpsqetibf4d.jpg

Some of the first purple to show...
IMG_4127_zpsximsmjjb.jpg

IMG_4126_zpscjkhsbnt.jpg

And some Fooled You Jalapenos. They have zero heat, but should be full flavor. I wanted one or two plants so I could just slice in half, hit with oil, salt, and garlic, and grill. And this way I can literally eat pounds of it should I have the desire (and means) to do so.

I plan to give a bunch of plants away to coworkers. I usually germinate many more than I need to make sure I get what I need, pick the best and then give the rest... away.
IMG_4123_zpsnumv96j7.jpg

Here is a list of seeds I already have, which are some sort of purple or blackish varieties. Not all plants are all purple but purple phenos can be found. I am considering anything with purple in the leaves, stems, or pods (again, only a few of them are being germinated this season):

Yaki Brown
Purple Flash
Black Pearl
Purple Jalapeno
Pink Tiger
Purple Tiger
THSC Black Scorpion Tongue
Royal Black
Pimenta Elisir x Neyde
Redgum TigerMAMP
Peachgum TigerMAMP

willow said:
All germinated at the same time! Very nice, good looking seeds. They are some impressive flowers! Keeping the purple theme alive.

Will do!! And yeah, lol, they all popped tails at the same time. T'was awesome!

I actually threw a half dozen Pimenta De Neyde's in a baggy last night. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I want to get some crosses going this year to start picking through next year.

Breeding Goal: To create a plant with [primary goal] wide, dark (hopefully purple) leaves that don't go away and [secondary goal] has an interesting/tasty pod. That's why I was trying to find some chinenses that turn purple more than anything. I should have a few good ones to use to make crosses this season, The Pink Tiger is my premier pick so far, and the Yaki Brown is darkening up just behind. BUT the Fidalga Roxas are probably going to appeal to me... The only F. Roxa with true leaves, so far, has already started darkening; faster than even the Pink Tiger did as it came up.

So, we've been having a fungus gnat issue at our office, which is quite strange considering we're 5 stories up in a large building... But they're here none-the-less.

This is my answer to the fungus gnat problem at work... you may not have my soil gnats!!!
IMG_20160617_084752_609_zpsx7zffg9q.jpg

I went on Amazon, found a sheet of mosquito fabric for $4.99, went to check out and noticed a 'promotional discount' of $4.99, rendering a $0.00 total. I was like, WTF is this... hit purchase, and 2 days later it showed up, free of charge. /shrug https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008SO0PGE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 hmm, now it's not a prime item anymore. Wonder what happened behind the scenes.

Anyways, the net is really for mosquitoes and the holes are too big to block the gnats, so I quadrupled it. The sheet came with a velcro strip to hold the fabric on the sides. The glass rocks are from a coworker whom I'm appeasing, she really likes rocks and wanted to share... yyyeeeepp
IMG_20160617_084802_775_zps0e8jox5f.jpg

Oh, and I can water right through it, lol. Plus the net will hopefully help my Kyoto Moss spores to grow.

mrgrowguy said:
So, we've been having a fungus gnat issue at our office, which is quite strange considering we're 5 stories up in a large building... But they're here none-the-less.

This is my answer to the fungus gnat problem at work... you may not have my soil gnats!!!
IMG_20160617_084752_609_zpsx7zffg9q.jpg

I went on Amazon, found a sheet of mosquito fabric for $4.99, went to check out and noticed a 'promotional discount' of $4.99, rendering a $0.00 total. I was like, WTF is this... hit purchase, and 2 days later it showed up, free of charge. /shrug https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008SO0PGE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 hmm, now it's not a prime item anymore. Wonder what happened behind the scenes.

Anyways, the net is really for mosquitoes and the holes are too big to block the gnats, so I quadrupled it. The sheet came with a velcro strip to hold the fabric on the sides. The glass rocks are from a coworker whom I'm appeasing, she really likes rocks and wanted to share.
IMG_20160617_084802_775_zps0e8jox5f.jpg

Oh, and I can water right through it, lol. Plus the net will hopefully help my Kyoto Moss to grow.
Hey if the boss asks you about about the plants, say you bought it like that!
Otherwise i think someones gonna be watching you real close... :rofl:  :shh:

More Hotta said:
Hey if the boss asks you about about the plants, say you bought it like that!
Otherwise i think someones gonna be watching you real close... :rofl:  :shh:

LOL!

My friend said I should throw a MJ clone in there and bring it to work. Heck, they're attorneys, they probably all smoke [peppers?] anyways.

I actually do worry that they won't like the fact that I pulled 3 other light strips from other peoples' desks to make mine into a grow area, HAHA!

mrgrowguy said:
Anyone ever order from Jet.com before? I just tried it out and ordered one of these to put in the back right corner in that plot I just made in front of my house.

Kirigamine Clematis
81U-yQYXIyL._SY355_.jpg

https://jet.com/product/Kirigamine-Clematis-Vine-Huge-Velvety-Purple-Blooms-25-Pot/dc9de9a36047475ea4baca60c0667255

Not a huge investment to test out the site, just curious if anyone else has ordered from Jet yet.

FWIW. I can say that the order went through just fine. The plant I got was a little, well... little. I kind of expected it though. 

I don't mind the plant itself being small, but there was hardly any foliage at all to speak of. But, I can say it came to me in good enough condition that I should have no problems at all getting this baby jump-started into a huge flower producing power-plant (sorry, pun intended) someday.

I should mention that I looked into it and found out that Clematis, in general, can take up to 3 years to germinate from seed. LOL That's insane! So the $13 it took to get this already germinated plant to me from a nursery across the country, even this small yet alive, is still pretty good (free shipping on this item). Pretty much equivalent to when I ordered a baby Redwood from Amazon (not Prime).

Well, that's my experience with Jet.com so far.

Here is the plant
IMG_4424_zpsmpnzfbbr.jpg

Of course, I thoroughly washed it down with some neem a few times and have scoped it with a 100x. The dots on the leaves are soil remnants from shipping and transplanting that didn't wash away with the quarantine procedures, I triple checked, no bugs.
IMG_4425_zpswvehvefk.jpg

Some absolutely fantastic looking peppers in this thread!    Favourites are the black pearl, pink tiger, and the black scorpion tongue!   I've seen stuff advertised as ornamental peppers before, but wow... these really take things to a whole new level!

Eager to see how some of the grows here turn out.  Thanks for sharing.

hotjohn said:
Some absolutely fantastic looking peppers in this thread!    Favourites are the black pearl, pink tiger, and the black scorpion tongue!   I've seen stuff advertised as ornamental peppers before, but wow... these really take things to a whole new level!

Eager to see how some of the grows here turn out.  Thanks for sharing.

Thank you, very much!

I haven't posted many pics on it yet, but that Black Scorpion Tongue is really showing more of a maroon/red-ish tint that purple, which I think is actually really cool. I was waiting for it to get a bit bigger, then I'll share some pics (soon to come).

Here is the purple flash at my office starting to show some of those light variegated spots :)
538e5e60-8550-4ee3-bbc2-b17f53c4eb54_zpsyzxp9wj0.jpg

PS: all pics of the office plants are taken with my phone. The phone is old, so I will do my best to get the color as correct as possible.

THSC Black Scorpion Tongue - beautiful red-ish purple stem right now
IMG_4442_zpsnqsbpdxl.jpg

Hard to tell, but the leaves are turning a red-ish color. The veins are a mix of red, brown, and purple
IMG_4445_zpswl19svdx.jpg

willow said:
Very nice indded, leaves look almost furry, or is that my bad eyesight?

HAHA, umm. Sorry. The fan was on and the leaves were moving just a little bit when I took the picture, so it's probably playing with your eyes. I know better, but was too lazy to walk over and turn it off. Plus the redish color on the leaves reflect light in the camera like that, too. The THSC BST isn't very hairy. It's just the way the macro took the pic. But I did move the fan to blow a little away from where I want to take pics from now on, so it should be good now... hopefully :)

I started an instagram account (link) for anyone interested in what really goes on in my grow area :party: (just barely started, so not many pics yet)

I stopped posting on the canna forum that I was posting Glogs to (consider that a warning of what to find on my instagram page), but I will definitely be continuing to post on this forum.

I like it here and the admin are really nice. My main issue with the other forum was the owner is incredibly douchey and even stole from patrons and seed vendors. @Logic is not a good person. Also, all the main players and vendors have left as well - for the same reasons.

So, I plan to post random pics of everything on instagram (peppers included), but will keep it to just peppers and pepper related things here ;)

Still waiting for enough growth to happen to add more purple pics!

Some leaf curling from last week's 105+ deg heat wave, but everything is faring well

IMG_4481_zpsab0qdv0t.jpg

IMG_4483_zpsreybhzmx.jpg

I also put the Brazilian Starfish and the THSC Black Scorpion Tongue in the ground outside. I had to charge the battery on the camera, but it had gotten dark by the time it was ready.

So, other than a few curled leaves, we made it through the heat wave. Let me tell ya, 105+ in the garage without AC is a hostile environment. But we pulled it off! (where's the f***k'n cheers button?!)   :drunk:   close enough.

First two outside since I've been germinating for purple
IMG_4500_zpsfxmsxiiv.jpg

IMG_4501_zpsqon1tsct.jpg

below - not a purple, just along for the ride
IMG_4502_zpswgkvvsf2.jpg

This is just a bonus pic of my Black Cobra, which I germinated in the winter before this thread started
IMG_4498_zpsjf2aubxg.jpg

From left to right: Pink Tiger, Yaki Brown, Black Pearl, Purple Flash
This Pink Tiger and the biggest Naglah Brown (not shown, bad pic) took the heat the hardest and got some curls. But new growth looks good.
IMG_4504_zpsqar0baau.jpg

IMG_4506_zpsjwg3bul3.jpg

IMG_4512_zpshgpvu7ee.jpg

Pink Tiger Force! And a Naglah Brown lookin good. Got two good dark options from the Naglah Brown. Not sure which to chose yet. The pic of those came out bad, so this is all you get for now.
IMG_4515_zpsr8kluedi.jpg

bpiela said:
MRGG, You grow is great!  I wanted to share a pic of one of my Vladan's Beauties.  I got these seeds from Rainbow Chile Seeds as a bonus.  Nice little purple pendant pods that grow up in clusters.

1P5oxjt.jpg

Hey, thanks for that! The pods on that plant are a very true purple! I'll have to look into it. Thanks for sharing the source too!

Barry Allen got another trimming today. Letting that 1st lateral grow long to shade the Pogoda and develop that trunk base; and the top is now getting its actual canopy-building trim
IMG_20160701_082816_zpsophn9brz.jpg

Purple coming through on top of the cream spots   -    You'd never tell I was a gardener from those clean-ass fingernails!
IMG_20160701_082619_zps86cgwagt.jpg

Fidalga Roxa with fresh worm castings getting watered in. Darkest pheno of the bunch.
IMG_4526_zps31l2xstk.jpg

Pink Tigers - The first one I germinated is in the ground. I just put it outside, like two days ago.
IMG_4532_zpsfszrglgx.jpg

Back