• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Mrs. Renfro's Ghost Pepper Nacho Cheese Sauce

SPHX said:
I may be in the minority, but I thought this stuff was absolutely horrendous. It's just this industrial goo that tastes vaguely like ghost peppers to me. Heat definitely isn't there, though I might have gotten a weaker batch.

3/10 for me.

The Ghost Pepper salsa is passable, but I'm not the biggest fan of the smokiness. I know a lot of other people like it, but it's not for me. Probably 5/10 personally.

The Habanaro salsa they make is hands down my favorite. I am a big fan of the chunkier salsas and the flavor here is absolutely fantastic. Good heat (it's probably just as hot as the ghost pepper salsa as far as "up front" heat goes, just without the burn that follows). 8.5/10 for that product for me.

i agree it sucks !      :onfire:

miguelovic said:
A fondue like sauce (very low heat, no thickening agents) from cheese and cream. A pinch of an emulsifier might do the trick.

or

bust out the Wizz :rofl:
I tend to make dry Mac and cheese. My Kitchen at work makes it perfectly - creamy, stringy... The secret is velveeta. I hate it but it makes a difference.

Just found out that a new Ghost Pepper BBQ sauce has been added to the line up of Mrs. Renfro's products (alongside the salsa/cheese sauce..) Just a heads of for people to be on the look out. I have no direct experience with the Ghost anything from Mr's Renfro's- after asking at several stores (even using a written paper request form to stock new items..) they just seem to not carry anything above Habanero level heat in my local! Asked half a dozen times for stocks of Pacqui's Haunted Ghost Pepper chips after flat out loving both their Roasted Habanero and Jalapeno varieties- but again...nothing came of it. Nevertheless...

I do love Mrs. Renfro's Habanero salsa!!  Throw my lot in with that one for a thumbs up. The only really tasty salsa with actual heat that I have found commercially available outside of salsa more directly marketed for the 'pepper-head' crowd. Great stuff!  :drooling: 

Side note: The Habanero salsa was hot the entire jar...have always found it odd how most 'hot' salsas may have a bit of heat on the 1st or 2nd try, then it just goes flat/bland and looses all heat thereafter. Odd.. 

nothing commercially seems to be the heat advertised example:  wendy's Ghost fries, doritos Roulette ,  any of the salsa's , i much rather make my own , fresh and real ( super hots ) for heat .      :onfire:

Alynne said:
I tend to make dry Mac and cheese. My Kitchen at work makes it perfectly - creamy, stringy... The secret is velveeta. I hate it but it makes a difference.

I do the same, and it's been a battle to add enough milk/cream to make it creamy enough for the eaters of my food.

This

http://www.canadianfavourites.com/MacLaren_s_Imperial_Sharp_Cold_Pack_Cheddar_Cheese_p/maclarens001.htm

is my latest weapon in the fight for cheesyness. Sort of a condensed old sharp cheddar. I was always adverse to cheese products (a family of cheese snobs), but it makes an epic mac 'n cheese. I'll have to give the velveeta a go one day, though I think I won't tell anyone until after they've eaten it :D

Alynne said:
Your preachen brother!!! Velveeta makes fer the super creamy goodness some good Sharp cheddar and jack.
Gotta be block cheese shredded doesn't work. Shred it yer self !! :)

True, nothing "commercial" has the heat I prefer.
But at least "commercial"  stores are starting to figure out jalapeno's are so last decade.

Even my little country general store gets a few shipments of ripe habs now, and has a selection of sauces greater than just frank's hot wing sauce and tabasco.

They even seem to bring a new one in every month or so on a trial basis to see how well it sells.

This is really good to know. I almost bought a jar to try once, to see if the cheese sauce was better in burritos than their regular ghost pepper salsa. With these reviews I don't have to try it.

I tried it, but was disappointed. For me, the heat simply wasn't there, and the taste was just, meh. Don't get me wrong, I'd eat it again if I saw it sitting on the counter at a party, but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy another bottle. The GP salsa on the other hand was a different story. One of the better commercial salsas I've found and the heat was kickin' pretty good. Definitely made me sweat a little (although it took several bites). My sis-in-law's BF couldn't take the heat though. I can't knock Mrs. Renfro's though. IMO, they make better stuff that most of the other salsa makers you see on store shelves.

3 Tbs Butter ¢.29
3 Tbs Flour ¢.06
1 C. Milk ¢69
3 C. Shredded Cheddar $2
1 Can Rotel Tomatoes $1
Hot Pepper Powder Free
Jalapeños Free
Makes about 32 ounces.

$4.04

★★★★★ Awesome.

Mrs. Renfro's Cheese glue. $4.95
16 ounces