• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Mushrooms in potting soil

Today I found some mushrooms growing in my potting mix, I said what the hell is that, then I found others, they looked like they might be fried from the light! lol I pulled them all out and got rid of the top layer of soil. I think it might have been from a little mold because I USED to water at night so the pots would sit with no light and no fan! I dont water in the eve. or night any more!!! Any thoughts on this?

some soils have mushrooms... i got a bad batch of kellog patio plus right now and have been getting a bunch of shrooms... but i just pull them out... i don't think that they are harming my seedlings... it's good soil, and i don't regret it... but as i was researching it, i found some 420 forums talking about it... one guy complained about it having shrooms...

HTH...

some soils have mushrooms... i got a bad batch of kellog patio plus right now and have been getting a bunch of shrooms... but i just pull them out... i don't think that they are harming my seedlings... it's good soil, and i don't regret it... but as i was researching it, i found some 420 forums talking about it... one guy complained about it having shrooms...

HTH...

Most soil would have some form of fungal spore present not to mention Any break in the bag at all could allow mushroom spores in. They could have come from anywhere.
Given the right environmental conditions you would likely find mushrooms and fungi of all types growing on practically every habital surface on earth

im having this problem with some jungle growth professional mix. not too happy about it. i'll go out there adn overnight there will be 8 mushrooms growing in a 3 gallon pot with a pepper. now i've bought the jungle growth pure organic and had no problems, they were just out last time i went to lowes. i think next time i'm gonna make the trip to the hydro store across town.

Many mushrooms form partnerships with roots of living trees, and the resulting fungus-root is called a mycorrhiza. The mushroom's mycelium weaves itself around the root and actually alters the shape of the root. The mushroom absorbs water and minerals for the tree, but in return the tree gives the mushroom nutrients, too. Since both partners benefit from each other, their alliance is considered a symbiotic relationship.
russula.jpg

Russula sp.(XXX) - a mycorrhizal mushroom
Mycorrhizal mushrooms are often seen under trees, growing in lines or rings, following the progress of root growth under the duff.
http://www.for.gov.b...0029/MUSHDO.HTM

Frankly, having mushrooms in your stuff is a good thing. Mushrooms eat decaying organic matter, mostly wood or wood chips, if you see mushrooms in your stuff you know that the soil supports fungi of various kinds and is thriving. Why thriving? Fungi send out the above soil mushrooms when they are doing well. I think of it as more food for the plants as the mushrooms break down larger wood particles into food.

If you are desperate to needlessly kill them off, all you can do is fungicide. The caps on the surface are basically just sex organs. Pull em out and there is still a thriving colony underneath.

Mushrooms have a undeserved bad reputation, mostly becasue of the many that may kill you if you eat them. The simple solution is to not eat those mushrooms, there is nothing nefarious about them otherwise.

Many people use the term "symbiotic" to mean exclusively a mutually beneficial relationship. This is a misnomer. "Symbiosis" is any close relationship between at least two life-forms. Parasitism is also a symbiotic relationship.

Back