• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Must Have Pepper

Hmmm.... Must have Pepper.... Is it limited to one? because then I can't do it, i just can't man, i tell you... its too painful... :)

My taste honestly is not as strong as a lot of guys on here.  I can't handle the heat most of the people here can.  So here is my "short" list....

Chinense:

Datil - number one, taste is off the chart and has ok heat, not the hottest Habanero by far.   Just over a standard Orange I would say.  I am growing Beni Highlands this year and it is very similar in my opinion
JHC - Its just a staple Habanero for me.  great flavor and good solid heat.

Annuam: bread and butter of daily heat
Sandia Select - Stuff the heck out of it, grill it, stew it, fry it... its just plain great.  The flavor changes based on way of cooking
Jalapeno M - growing a couple of other varities this year, but have to have a Jalapeño plant all the time.  Its a daily in the mouth and cook every day
Orange Thai - awesome small thin pepper, great fresh and dries excellent
Chili Tepin - Daily candy snack in the mouth lol.  Good powder and fresh actually is juicy and good to add to Ceviche or Salsa imho.  Sonoran is the variety i grow.

Frutescens:
Aji Caballero - Puerto Rican hot pepper.  Small like Guam Boonie i think.  Hot little pockets of joy.  Flavor is descent.  But thats not what you grow frutescnes for.  Its the juice and heat.  Very soft pepper.
Tabasco - Need I say more.

Bacatuum: Meeah, haven't fallen in love with any yet.

Pubescens: Tasty, but have not had great luck growing yet.  Trying again this year.

So.... fairly boring list.  But those have to be every year.  I am adding slowly super hots.... but to me Super hots so far has meant using less as far as portions instead of a regular Habanero.  Thats all. Taste to me a lot of times is better with habanero.  I need to try growing  Scotch Bonnets.  A lot of people rave about them.

Shalom,
Gabe

bhut camp said:
For taste it's aji mango hands down! I also enjoy SB7J, peach scorpanero,bishop's crown,farmers market jalapeno, guarmal, aleppo, and aji limon/aji pineapple for their flavor. For heat, I love the chocolate bhutlah sm

Aleppo is prolly the best tasting pepper ive ever had but unfortunately it has no heat to it......never had Aji Mango u growing those Rick? If u say hands down the best for taste I have to try them!

KingChile said:
Aleppo is prolly the best tasting pepper ive ever had but unfortunately it has no heat to it......never had Aji Mango u growing those Rick? If u say hands down the best for taste I have to try them!
Yeah man, I can hook you up with some!

Jays peach are one of my favourite, too.

I tried the aleppo the other day and had been really looking forward to it. was not all that impressed tbh. so i gotta dry them, see if it improves. The skin is revoltingly thick on them, so they are gross to eat.

my must haves so far are:
Jalapeno (very versatile and great producers)
Jays Peach Ghost Scorpion (look nasty, taste great and wicked hot)
Scotch Bonnets (obviouslys)
Peruvian White/Jellybean Habanero (awesome looking plant that produces hundreds of tiny, hot habaneros)
Orange 7 Pot (my favourite 7 pot, less perfumed than the others i have tried)

My favorites for looks & taste are yellows- CARDI Yellow, Yellow Brain Strain, Bad Brains, Fatalii... 
CGN 21500 is a beautiful plant & pod with good taste, but not what I'd call exceptional taste or heat.

The way I see it, the staples are the ones that you enjoy the most, but how do you decide which you enjoy the most?  I grow staples and then try new variety each year.  Yep, I like what I like but I find the real fun and pleasure is in new peppers even when I find I dont like them as much.

There is something about growing what I havent before that really flips my switch.

Back