annuum My 35 year Romance with the Jalapeno and Cayenne

What are YOUR favorite Hot Peppers?

• Total voters
I voted Jalapenos and Cayennes although it would have been better labelled "Jalapenos, Anaheims, and Caribbean Reds" to more aptly describe my favorite peppers. Jalapenos are so good either green or red and can be used in so many ways. My favorite is to take big, corked, red pods and smoke them with pecan and then dehydrate. I freeze them and make chilpotles in adobo throughout the year.

Anaheims are the premier stuffing pepper in my opinion and I love their taste. They're also great for cooking in a variety of dishes.

Caribbean Reds are my favorite of the chinense varieties. I love to smoke them and make powders. They're also good on ham sandwiches. Finally, I make CR Apricot pepper jelly each year and give out for XMAS presents. They also are perfect sliced in Nam Pla (fish sauce) as a side for Beef Bai Kao Pow or other Thai dishes.

I'm getting hungry...
How do I get on your Christmas list?????????

It would be helpful to differentiate culinary and non-culinary chiles. Culinary as in commonly served in restaurants.

Both Xalapa and cayenne are definitely culinary and most superhots are not.

They are if your at AlabamaJack's house drinking bloody marys. :)

Chris

It would be helpful to differentiate culinary and non-culinary chiles. Culinary as in commonly served in restaurants.

Both Xalapa and cayenne are definitely culinary and most superhots are not.

Had to go with the Cayennes and Jalapeños! They're a real pair of work horses for me, jars upon jars of powdered cayenne in my cupboard and Jalas' get used in almost everything I cook!

Back