my cheap diy led light box

can you elaborate a little more on construction? did you just drill holes in the board and stick the lights thru or is there glue or something holding them in?
this might seem obvious to the handy-men of thp but i'm an unhandy lady and need it explained in very small words...

just got a drill bit that was the dia of the leds, drilled the holes and pushed them through, nothing akward or hard. All nice and easy

The seedlings definitely look healthy albeit a little small for 8 weeks. But you said you're trying to not run out of space so I guess thats not a bad thing. What kind of soil is that?

just some compost with perlite mixed in.
The size of the plant i put down to no heating in the box or anywhere near it, in fact it sit in a cupboard under the stairs!
So i think i could get better results if i added heat. But i want to keep cost to a minimum and post my results, then people can see what you can get from 2 strings of christmas leds (9.6w) and a wooden box lined with tinfoil !
I'm gonna improve it for next year, maybe a heat mat, brighter leds, bigger box, insulate the box are all options

GrumpyBear said:
does anyone know the lumen output of leds?

i got a string 50% off the other day :) i'm excited

you would have to know the mcd and the beam angle (degrees) of the led and if they are christmas light they will not tell you.

Dave....those look like 3" containers, what containers are you going to use when you transplant?

plants look super healthy...

AlabamaJack said:
Dave....those look like 3" containers, what containers are you going to use when you transplant?

plants look super healthy...

Hi AJ
they are 3" the six biggest ones have been put into 4" circular pots already which you'll see in the weekly update on sunday.
Next step will be 5 or 6 inch pots, i like going up only an inch at a time so as to get a nice root ball

agree with you on the root ball...I did the same with about 10 plants last year and they were super healthy...I went from 6" to 5 gallon and needed to go to 10-15 gallon before the season was over but didn't

i got a string of a hundred white ones, i figure that's enough for me to experiment with this year. i like to take things slow, plus next year i should hopefully be facing fewer quizzical looks. hopefully...

Week 8
wk8ku8.jpg

week 9
wk9cd6.jpg

Here are the complete contents of the box.
The original 7 that i've posting every week are in the same positions, the other 5 are chineses (except the dedo de moca) but i'm not keeping track of them (the seeds were put in on 14/11 and 25/11

joeknowsjolokia said:
Are you willing to share how it gets wired together? Where can we get those bright l e d's?;)

You wanna look at some of the other threads on LED growing for that info, as the lights i'm using ain't super bright and they are pre wired strings of christmas leds (the types you'd string on your tree)

Wow man to be 100% honest I didn't think the christmas light LEDs would work when you first started this thread, but those plants look fantastic. I'd say its definitely a viable alternative for starting a few plants, good work dude.

you know, I have a big string of outdoor xmas LED's sitting here doing nothing (outdoor lighting, it was too cold/I was too lazy to put them on the house this year)... they are white and blue.

Thing is, my LED's are covered by a large "light bulb" shaped clear plastic cover. I will have to see if I can remove them...

I bought the strings at costco for $15 or something last year after xmas when all the sales were on. I just started my seeds too... If I hurry a bit I may be able to get this done before I need lights ;)

Back