• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds My chilli seed finally germinated, but why the leaf seems so yellow?

I would repot them right away. Might take too long for that mix to dry out and by then it is too late :confused:

I would repot them right away. Might take too long for that mix to dry out and by then it is too late :confused:
Possibly.

At this time of year, indoors and no artificial light, they need ver little water, maybe a tiny bit once per 7-10 days.
Too wet, then i) turn yellow, 2) fungus will kill them.
I don't know how wet you kept them while germinating, but as you mentioned they are not just yellow, but brown too, I'd say maybe there's already fungus already possibly.

So it could be a good idea to get them dry by transplanting and only give them a tiny bit of water, as it's cold and wet in Perth right now.
When it warms up, or if they are under lights or in the sun you may need a decent watering once per week, but for now, they need stuff all water and keeping them drier is better than keeping them moist.

keeping them drier is better than keeping them moist.

Once they dry out they go from 'fine' to 'dust in the wind' fairly quickly. I'd personally prefer to err on the side of moist. I lost a runty seedling when I was trying to correct a potential overwatering issue.

Find the middle ground of course, but it's easier to fix yellow leaves than a dry twig.

Yes, but if they are indoors, no light, no heat, soil already very moist/wet from germinating etc, I've had better luck keeping them drier. I'm assuming their location of Perth is Perth Australia. It's early spring, night time temps are 40F, day time 65F, even my plants outside only get watered every 7-10 days and they get full winterish sun, not inside on a window ledge.
I have to keep an eye on them and catch them on time as you say, very easy for them to drop dead. But I lose more through fungus and damping off if I keep them moist, than I do through under watering.
Easy to fix under watering, but not fungus/damping off, that's are bigger problem than catching them slightly wilting.
edit: but like I said, this applies to low temp low light growing. If they had heat (natural or artificial), or artificial lights warming/drying them up, then it is better to keep them more moist than dry.

I know a couple of ppl that tried that same seed raising mix and 10 weeks later the plants are still on the first set of leaves , it never dries out , im not sure were in perth you live but get a bag of these guys organic potting mix , its the best iv ever used , 10 bucks a bag but your plants will love it.
I bought a bag first to try it and i was amazed with how good it is compared to any of that rubbish you buy at bunnings , so i got a 6x4 trailer load for this season's gro , i also use there organic veggie mix in all my raised garden beds,just make sure you get the potting mix and not there veggie mix as thats only for gardens and not pots.

http://www.greenlifesoil.com.au/

I use this light all the time to keep them warm (60W)
image.jpg

And this are the 3 babies after 8 days under that light
photo_2_1.jpg

10 weeks later the plants are still on the first set of leaves

Oh no....

Question:

I found it my seeding pots dry out very very quickly under the sun! (I put them outside at 9am and all dried at 12noon)

Could someone give me some advise, if I water them directly to the soil without touhing the leafs, will that hurt the babies?

If I don't give them water, will they die? (or they can survive at the dry condition? how long they can hold?)

thank you very much!

They aren't drying that quick.
I bet the bottom is still moist. Plus you want it like that, chillies like air in the soil, so top dry for air, top dry to avoid fungus and gnats, bottom moist to make the roots grow down.
If you are really worried, buy a moisture reading meter.
You could risk messing up a plant to take it out of it's pot and really see the bottom is moist or not, it certainly would be after only a few hours think.
Or sit them in a saucer with 1cm deep water to 'bottom water' them for 10min.
Bottom line, you want the top half of the pot dry anyway...

Back