• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

My Crazy Rocoto

I had read that rocoto peppers were on the slow edge of producing in the first year. This is my first year of growing rocotos so I had little idea of what to expect but..... is this normal?

The rocoto has taken over the container, droops over the edge, and is loaded with pods.

100_1335.jpg

100_1337.jpg

My rocotos are starting to explode, too. Loads of flowers and buds, but no pods yet and it is spreading like wildfire.

so do you guys grow your pubes in full sun or shade? mine has been growing twice as fast since i moved it under a big shade tree.

My Red Rocoto is in full sun (doing the best), the Orange and Yellow Rocoto have quite a bit of shade, one of them just dosen't want to grow at all.

I have two of the same variety and placed one in full sunlight and the other in a more shaded place and the one getting full sunlight grows faster, more bushy and flowered much earlier, too.

Got 2 Rocoto Canario and 2 Orange Rocoto..Dont they grow quick..Started in may and there already over 2 feet :shocked:

I keep reading that these things grow like vines. Im going to grow them in some 400mm pots, I take it they need some heavy staking or something really tall to hold them up?

When they get really big and wide and are loaded with pods, some support is in place imo. Until they get pods they do pretty well on their own despite their width.

Congratulations is very beautiful
Pubescens the species are a fantastic
I take the direct sun only half a day

This one was bought but the only thing the tag says is manzano so I have no clue, will wait until the peppers ripen. The plant sits in full sun but neighbor's ash tree shades it during part of the morning.

Jackie

I have a Rocoto Rojo with just blooms no pods yet it has sprawled out and is very beautiful but I WANT SOME DAMN PEPPERS ..... I have it in a pot I have seen pictures and I thought they were gorgeous I have it in full sun as a focal point on my walk way.

Back