• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

My cuttings aren't growing roots

A few weeks ago I decided to take some cuttings from my pepper plants to grow through the winter. I have a short growing season and would LOVE to have plants flowering and ready to go outside next summer.

I have them in water that I pour out and refresh every four or five days. There is some new leaf growth, and I have been popping off small buds as they appear, but no roots have grown.

Any suggestions?

Cuttings placed directly into water without some kind of growth hormone or diluted stimulant can take 2 mos or more to root.

I usually leave water a month and add to it, not changing it with liquid root inhibitor mixed into the water...roots in about 3 weeks.

you can add an small air stone with pump to add oxygen to the water..this will also encourage root development.

Thank you so much for the information! I will see about getting some root inhibitor.

I have an AeroGarden that uses air in the water, but it's spots are currently full with other things. Maybe next year I will see about putting the cuttings in that.

Masher said:
Cuttings placed directly into water without some kind of growth hormone or diluted stimulant can take 2 mos or more to root.

I usually leave water a month and add to it, not changing it with liquid root inhibitor mixed into the water...roots in about 3 weeks.

you can add an small air stone with pump to add oxygen to the water..this will also encourage root development.

PepperPassion said:
Thank you so much for the information! I will see about getting some root inhibitor.

I have an AeroGarden that uses air in the water, but it's spots are currently full with other things. Maybe next year I will see about putting the cuttings in that.
You can put two cuttings per plug if youu wish....a little crowded but it can be done.

A simple small fish tank pump and an air stone placed into bottom of any container of water will work in a pinch if you need.

Inedible said:
How does root inhibitor help encourage new roots?

Simple case of brain malfunction, I meant rooting compound etc..I think the op was able to grasp the intended info though.

It was early...I'll blame it on not enough coffee and DST change.

PepperPassion - you can make your own cloner so easily.

Buy the split plugs. Get a tub. Last one that I made was 18 gallon. Cut the holes for the plugs as close together as you can.

Now comes the fun part. Get a large, but quality airstone. I recommend this one: https://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-ASCL-Large-Active-Cylinder/dp/B00564IT5S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1478562024&sr=8-2&keywords=air%2Bstone&th=1

Fill the container about half full of water. Drill 2 holes in the middle of the lid. Right on center in the long direction, and in from the ends about 25% of the length. Hook it up. Bubble away.

This will do EXACTLY the same thing as an aero cloner, but for a fraction of the cost. I have cloned many tomatoes and peppers this way.

Just put A LOT of air bubble into the water.  Leave only 2-3 small leaves. No need for rooting hormone.

MangoChilli said:
I have never heard of an aero cloner.  I will go and google it now.  Can you please put up a picture of your home made one?

No, because I don't have it, anymore.

Tub.  Lid.  Holes in lid big enough for lots of aero cloner plugs.  2 small holes for air line tubing.  Air stone.  Water in less than half the bottom of the container.  Put plants in plugs.  Turn air pump on.

If the visual still fails you, Google search a proper aero cloner, and then apply the above DIY thinking to draw a parallel...

Back