• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

hydroponic My dive into hydroponics growing...on the cheap...

Jeff H said:
The 12th step is when you get overcome with maintaining 10 buckets constantly and you say F-it and change them all over to a drip system with one common reservoir and drip lines running everywhere.

At this point, I consider myself a recovering bubble bucket addict.
Lol I must be recovering too. My current system circulates the water between nearly all the plants so I only have to take measurements of pH etc once and add water and nutes etc to one place. Dangerous, I know, but I like to live lazily.
I mean dangerously

lol i started with bubble buckets but it got to be too big a pain in the ass. now i run 2  2 x4 flood tables . 1 1000w hps  and 1 600w mh  i use coco in both but the one with the 600 over it has hydroton in it and i use regular 1 gallon pots filled with coco. the unit under the 1000w has a layer of coco chunks in it coverd by coir. i constantly have to trim things back in the unit under the 1000w cuz it grows so fast  i ran outta hight adjustment on the light.. where the 600 and the 1000 overlap is crazy

impending_bending said:
Lol I must be recovering too. My current system circulates the water between nearly all the plants so I only have to take measurements of pH etc once and add water and nutes etc to one place. Dangerous, I know, but I like to live lazily.
I mean dangerously

motocross308 said:
lol i started with bubble buckets but it got to be too big a pain in the ass. now i run 2  2 x4 flood tables . 1 1000w hps  and 1 600w mh  i use coco in both but the one with the 600 over it has hydroton in it and i use regular 1 gallon pots filled with coco. the unit under the 1000w has a layer of coco chunks in it coverd by coir. i constantly have to trim things back in the unit under the 1000w cuz it grows so fast  i ran outta hight adjustment on the light.. where the 600 and the 1000 overlap is crazy

Where are the pics you two? Nice to see two more recovering addicts. Life sure is simpler.

Here is my current indoor operation. Perlite in the flood table and a 600w MH bulb. The pic is from early November right after I brought the o/w plants inside. I'll need to get a more recent photo. It will be transferred to the 5 gallon bucket drip system when they go outside.
20131021_203238.jpg

Jeff H said:
Where are the pics you two? Nice to see two more recovering addicts. Life sure is simpler.

Yup, in CLEAR containers (blasphemy! I know). It ain't purdy, but it sure as hell works and was much more fun to put together than the kits imo. Can you trace where the water goes?
ElwQ8mC.jpg

My favorite feature though, is this:
Oa9a19Ql.jpg

Sir, I challenge you to a duel of laziness

Naturally, we want to see a recent photo of this!

Jeff H said:

Here is my current indoor operation. Perlite in the flood table and a 600w MH bulb. The pic is from early November right after I brought the o/w plants inside. I'll need to get a more recent photo. It will be transferred to the 5 gallon bucket drip system when they go outside.
20131021_203238.jpg

McGuiver said:
I do acknowledge the higher powers, 277v & 480v...

I've had 277vac bite me when I was wiring up a commercial light fixture and someone took my lockout tag off the breaker. They turned on the breaker because the lights were out. I came down from the lift and almost put a hammer to their head. I was going to check for a brain...

277vac sucks. Almost got me. Got to respect the power.

HA! I was unhooking shore power to a ship once, 480V 250A supply, and I forgot to turn it off first....

It took everything I had to let go. That set of hex wrenches went into the gulf when I finally did, not on purpose, just the force of letting go.

The weird part was it didnt shock me until I started trying to turn it.

mx5inpa you were lucky it did not kill you. 480vac is nasty. Only think worse is 12.5KV and up... I had an electrician friend vaporize 1/2 a bus bar by dropping his screw driver on it, and shorting it. It was not an insulated screw driver... The arc flash was bad. I had to go over and help him after that. He was covered and burns, and holes burned thru his clothing from molten metal.

Now I only work on hot power if properly suited up, flash gear, gloves, and insulating mat.

Salt water and dock cords don't mix. I saw a 220vac dock cord get caught in a propeller while still powered up. It was all chopped up, yet did't blow 40amp breaker. The days before GFCI breakers...

Back