• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce My first Attempt at Hot Sauce

staffing said:
Tina Brooks said:
staffing said:
Tina Brooks said:
datil paddle said:
homemade, when done right, can't be beat (freshness, not to mention pride in your own creativity)
:D

Which is why da Peppermaster is in business.

Not to worry, this particulat producer figures that if there are now over 10,000 different sauces available and we chiliheads still can't get enough sauce, then there's plenty of market for everyone to go around. Besides, the population of chiliheads keeps increasing... 10 years ago, it was less than 5%, now it's 15% of the population. Tons of room for commpetition. Besides that too, (pardon the pun), variety in hot sauce is the spice of life! :shock:

As far as botulism goes... I was under the impression that that's usually a concern of people packing their peppers in oil.

T

I have no intention of competing with anyone. My sauce is mine. All mine. You can't have any :evil: . Just Kidding. Actually, I made another batch over the weekend. My sauce comes out rather thick. I used more vinegar this time, but it is still a little thick for pouring purposes. As such, I have come up with a new use for it; I use it as a sandwich spread. I spread it liberally over wheat bread, add smoked turkey and cheese, and voila....lunch has never been so good (or hot!)

I think I will keep making this stuff as my peppers mature. I added a little ginger root, mango, and powdered mustard to this new batch, with great effect.

As for you producers, this doesn't replace my need for your products. I just came up with a new use. When used on sandwiches, I go through it pretty fast. About a tablespoon per sandwich, maybe more. Yum.

You keep doing what you do, and I'll keep eating it. My sauce is for personal consumption only.

Josh

The increased vinegar will help lower the botulism threat... I don't personally understand the chemistry behind it all, but the higher the acid the better... Next batch try a citrus instead of the vinegar, see if you like the flavour; it's quite different. I prefer it personally.

Atually, Tina, I used Apple cider vinegar and 6 lime (to about 2 qts of final product). I believe the acidity should be fine, between the acetic acid and citric acid. I never thought of botulism, but I think the vinegar should help ease my worries....that and the fact that it'll be gone before it can go bad.

By the way, I think I'm starting to run a little low on Hurricane Mash. Thanks for your advice, though. Regarding beer, whenever I want to spoil myself, by LaBatte's Blue. It's a great pilsner. I have only had one better, and it is only sold in Aruba called Balashi. Wonderful stuff, but it takes a plane ticket and mucho dinero to drink it. I'll stick with LaBatte's

Sounds like the sauce will work just fine. Ya gotta love the taste that limes make.

Long weekend here, so if you were planning on ordering before Monday... it won't go out until Tuesday.

T.

Tina Brooks said:
DEFCON Creator said:
Josh,
I got your e-mail, and the sauces will go out this weekend. You're in luck, it'll be a nice fresh batch. I didn't get the location where you want them sent.

As for the extract sauces, we currently only have one, the DEFCON #1. The DEFCON-ZERO sauce will be coming out shortly. Perhaps I'll feel generous, and throw a little of that in there as well. Wait a minute, a revenuer feeling generous, perhaps my endorphin rush from last night hasn't worn off yet.

We should feed some of that stuff to George Bush.

hehe

okie... my bad... politics back in my pocket.

T

Make him eat it by hand....and then make him go to the bathroom....

he he he ha ha ha ARRRGGHHHHHH!!!!!

Ok fine,
I think it would be better to see Scary Kerry down a bottle, perhaps then he would release his 'real' military record. He couldn't give it to Mrs. Kerry, she'd kick him out of HER house. Perhaps Clinton could put it on one of his special cigars and 'give' it to Monica, or maybe even to Kim Jung Mentally Ill in place of all the nuclear secrets he gave them. Perhaps to Ted Kennedy while he snorkels Chappaquiddick, practicing underwater auto salvage. Now, no more politics, I think we've all vented. :roll:

DEFCON Creator said:
Ok fine,
I think it would be better to see Scary Kerry down a bottle, perhaps then he would release his 'real' military record. He couldn't give it to Mrs. Kerry, she'd kick him out of HER house. Perhaps Clinton could put it on one of his special cigars and 'give' it to Monica, or maybe even to Kim Jung Mentally Ill in place of all the nuclear secrets he gave them. Perhaps to Ted Kennedy while he snorkels Chappaquiddick, practicing underwater auto salvage. Now, no more politics, I think we've all vented. :roll:

Didn't mean to offend or take sides, John. As an independent, I tend to feel that way about all career politicians. I'd like to watch both of them go through an extract sauce taste test......from the wrong end 8)

and you can throw Teddy boy in to clean up the aftermath :evil:

Talk to ya soon.

Not a problem Josh. I grew up in a devout military family (hence the name of my product), and I am just tired of everyone bashing Bush for every single thing that is wrong in the world. Cripes, they're blaming him for hurricane Katrina now, it's just sad. There are thousands of websites to go to to discuss politics, I just don't want to see this one become one of them.

Now, what were we talking about....Oh yeah, hot sauce.

DEFCON Creator said:
Not a problem Josh. I grew up in a devout military family (hence the name of my product), and I am just tired of everyone bashing Bush for every single thing that is wrong in the world. Cripes, they're blaming him for hurricane Katrina now, it's just sad. There are thousands of websites to go to to discuss politics, I just don't want to see this one become one of them.

Now, what were we talking about....Oh yeah, hot sauce.

Agreed. End note: I fully support our military. I just don't care much for politicians. Again, I didn't mean to offend. My respects to you and your family.

Josh

P.S. did you get the link I sent you re: a disclaimer form?

Yeah, I got the link, I just haven't tried it yet. As for the sauces, don't worry about it. Like I said, you caught me in a good mood, and we give out samples every now and then. It's one way we have created quite the following in our area. Now remember, when you get them, put 'em in the fridge. They do have dairy product in them. They are vacuum sealed, but I tell everyone this just to be on the safe side.

Did you send me the location you want these to go to? I feel a bit absent minded this morning. If so, they will go out this weekend.

DEFCON Creator said:
Yeah, I got the link, I just haven't tried it yet. As for the sauces, don't worry about it. Like I said, you caught me in a good mood, and we give out samples every now and then. It's one way we have created quite the following in our area. Now remember, when you get them, put 'em in the fridge. They do have dairy product in them. They are vacuum sealed, but I tell everyone this just to be on the safe side.

Did you send me the location you want these to go to? I feel a bit absent minded this morning. If so, they will go out this weekend.

No I didn't. My address is as follows:

Josh Morris
204 W. Unaka Ave.
Johnson City, TN 37604

Since this is my office, I don't mind posting it. As for refrigeration, I always keep my open sauces in the frige anyway. I take it you are recommending this for your sealed product as well.
Dairy product? Now that is an interesting ingredient; one I am not sure I have seen before. You must be quite the experimentor.

Josh

The whole dairy thing is a little different. It's kind of a mixed blessing when having other retail operations put it up for sale. Some can't sell it because they don't have a refrigeration unit, but deli's and the like put it in front inside their deli case, kinda cool (no pun intended). I do suggest even unopened that it be refrigerated. I may be a bit of a chemistry tinkerer, but dairy is dairy. The sauces were originally developed as a wing sauce, and we found that the viscosity of the dairy products helped the sauce cling to the wing (and other foods) better, without running off. It's fine for a few days or a week or so out of refrigeration when unopened, but not for months on a shelf in a retail environment (as far as I know). When it comes to foodstuffs, no sense in taking any chances. I'll include a small bottle of our "lightning extract" as well. Just be careful with the stuff, and don't get it on your hands, it'll eventually end up in your eye, and I don't know anyone who likes the feeling of being maced.

We sent you a pm to advise us on what we need to do to try some Defcon wing sauce. We are wing fanatics here the hotter the better

You won't be disappointed. Try the #2 sauce, it's our biggest seller, the #1 is too hot for most 'normal' people, but in this forum, people aren't quite normal 😉

Your stuff will go out this weekend, I replied to your PM looking for the location you want it sent to, the origijnal addr you sent me got buried under about 8 reams of paper. My office has become a den of organized chaos with football season rapidly approaching, which, of course, is our best sales season.

DEFCON Creator said:
The whole dairy thing is a little different. It's kind of a mixed blessing when having other retail operations put it up for sale. Some can't sell it because they don't have a refrigeration unit, but deli's and the like put it in front inside their deli case, kinda cool (no pun intended). I do suggest even unopened that it be refrigerated. I may be a bit of a chemistry tinkerer, but dairy is dairy. The sauces were originally developed as a wing sauce, and we found that the viscosity of the dairy products helped the sauce cling to the wing (and other foods) better, without running off. It's fine for a few days or a week or so out of refrigeration when unopened, but not for months on a shelf in a retail environment (as far as I know). When it comes to foodstuffs, no sense in taking any chances. I'll include a small bottle of our "lightning extract" as well. Just be careful with the stuff, and don't get it on your hands, it'll eventually end up in your eye, and I don't know anyone who likes the feeling of being maced.

Believe me, I have a healthy respect for capsaicin. Whenever I work with habs, I wear latex gloves. I had a little incident years ago, involving making salsa, forgetting to wash my hands, and going to the bathroom..... :shock:

needless to say, I've been very cautious ever since.

I will indeed be careful. Just out of curiosity, is the dairy, in your opinion, that increases the viscosity? That's interesting. I'll check into that. I'm actually in a organic chemistry class this semester (post-grad fast track pre med.)
Sounds like a project. Have a great weekend.

Josh

Oh yes, I think most people on this board can attest to a lovely little run in with our friend capsaicin.

As for the dairy, we tried a bunch of different things, from clarified butter, to just using the solids and skimming it. Some were quite nasty, some didn't work at all, but then, as persistance would have it, we found the right mix. You'll see.

DEFCON Creator said:
Oh yes, I think most people on this board can attest to a lovely little run in with our friend capsaicin.

As for the dairy, we tried a bunch of different things, from clarified butter, to just using the solids and skimming it. Some were quite nasty, some didn't work at all, but then, as persistance would have it, we found the right mix. You'll see.

Dairy? Did I miss something? Who has a dairy? You use dairy in the hot sauce, what????

Hi Tina,
Yup, it took a lot of trial and error, but it paid off. I sent Staff and Mick some samples, see what they say. It's different, but then again, why be normal?

DEFCON Creator said:
Hi Tina,
Yup, it took a lot of trial and error, but it paid off. I sent Staff and Mick some samples, see what they say. It's different, but then again, why be normal?

You... Call me. Sheesh. It's a toll-free number.

T.

DEFCON Creator said:
Hi Tina,

I received the package today, John. Many thanks. I will post a review of DEFCON 1 by Monday at the latest. Hopefully, DEFCON 0 as well (provided, of course, that I live to tell the tale :shock: )
Something about the inclusion of dairy products makes me feel like I'm going to be in a new realmof saucedom.
Again, thanks.

Josh.

Thanks for the brochure, too. I'll have to figure out how to go through paypal. I failed earlier this week.

Staff - A new realm of saucedom, I like the ring to it. As I stated, it was originally formulated as a wing sauce, you'll see, and it tastes best when heated up (don't let it boil!). Just be careful with the ZERO, it'll put lead in your pencil. :D

Look forward to the review.

Oh, how do you guys put other people's quotes into your posts?

DEFCON Creator said:
Staff - A new realm of saucedom, I like the ring to it. As I stated, it was originally formulated as a wing sauce, you'll see, and it tastes best when heated up (don't let it boil!). Just be careful with the ZERO, it'll put lead in your pencil. :D

Look forward to the review.

Oh, how do you guys put other people's quotes into your posts?

lol, in the top right hand corner of my post you'll see a couple of buttons: Hit this one:
icon_quote.gif
and it will automatically quote the post you want to respond to.

T.

Back