• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

my first bhut jolika sauce

So I froze all my peppers from last year. So today I needed room in the freezer So I decided to make a sauce. Its a bhut jolika sauce with spices and apple cider vinegar. Holy crap Its hot. Attached is a picture
IMG_20110422_233104.jpg

Onion, garlic, brown sugar, sea salt expensive kind, black pepper, season salt just a little, apple cider vinegar, ground thyme and 12 red very hot bhut jolika with seeds and everything. Yield was 1 and half bottle

So I guess I am a bad speller. JOLOKIA IS THE CORRECT SPELLING.
I MADE A BIG MISTAKE AND RUBBED MY RIGHT EYE. I WASHED MY HANDS THREE TIMES, MY EYE IS BURNING

pain is love friend!
just wait till you get so much pain you can't open your eyes cause you got butchT scorpion powder in there. take my word for it, sure it was bad at the time, but I laugh at it now :)

Hey Pepperjeff....Your sauce sound good!! You wanna try something a lil different next time use Cane Vinegar instead of apple cider vinegar. It gives a musty sweet flavor to it.

PJ, vinegars can be very similar or very different. If there is any sweetness it means the fermentation process was purposely halted early before all of the sugars could convert. Vinegar that is 100% fermented is not sweet at all (even if it's from apples, cane, etc.). Some vinegars have subtle flavors of what they are made from, some don't. Vinegar can be from corn, grapes, dates, cane, just about anything. It really takes a little bit of knowledge of what to look for (look at the nutrition label for the sugar content, NOT the ingredients list), and some tasting, and pairing. If you're into balsamic, keep in mind most of what you find in the stores is NOT balsamic. It will list the ingredients as: grapes, grape must, caramel color. This mimics balsamic vinegar, but is not true. Find what works best for you!

Back