• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

My first chilli pepper growing experience

tuta6uma.jpg

ynu2amam.jpg

ynu2amam.jpg

Thanks guys I have better and more recent photos, but I m just trying to get the hang of uploading them from photobucket, not sure I have mastered it yet!! :)
Nope still havent mastered it, can I delete these??
ynu2amam.jpg

Aji Brazilian Pumpkin

Mexican Acapulco

Plenty of good growth here in the form of side shoots...just picked off a couple flower heads!

Aji Charapita....a real late bloomer and very slow:(

Lookin' good! Are you going to plant in containers, or in the ground? What are the straws for?
Hey dash 2 yes I will eventually plant in containers when they have grown strong enough. The straws, I think, are keeping a space between the roots for when I need to stake them...saw the idea somewhere here??!

My grow list includes the following:

Apache
Aji Charapita
Sorrento
Acapulco
Brazilian Pumpkin
Indiano

For germination,
I sowed them directly in an organic soil mix. I did not pre soak them or try a germination test via kitchen paper as I only discovered these methods afterwards. Honestly, I was over excited when the seeds arrived in the post that I planted them immediately without any research.
The research came afterwards when after a week I was still awaiting my first 'hook'. :)
I sowed 3 seeds per plastic cup, most varieties provided me with 100% germination. I was let down by the more unusual varieties, namely Brazilian Pumpkin, Aji Charapita, Sorrento, which only sprouted 1 or 2 hooks and took almost 6 weeks to peak their heads above ground!!

This being said, and being my first year, I am really happy with the results thus far and so excited for the season ahead. Fingers crossed I don't mess it up!!
I also feel a debt of gratitude to forums such as these for the advice and friendship they offer.
I am gonna do my best to provide as many pics as possible and try not to bore everyone to tears.
Happy Growing everyone and as they say here in Italy, In bocca al Pepper (should be 'lupo') ;)

Weather has taken a turn for the worst today and the foreseeable future, so I have taken all my plants in full time, as opposed to daylight hrs on windowsill. Problem is they ve gotten huge:)
So my 'growbox' isover crowded, I am pleased to say!!

Are they looking a bit yellow??

A few might be on the yellow side, let them dry out some.

I think you're doing fine, nice healthy plants.

Good luck this season!

Hello i'm new to growing peppers as well. I was wondering how long it took for them to grow this big?

Hey Kyox89, welcome. I am also new and I estimate after germination, as in when the hooks appear, they shoot up pretty quick, this photo is between a week and 2 weeks afterwards. As for germination it took mine between a week and 6 weeks. What are you growing? :)

I am currently growing

1 numex twilight
2 aji limons
1 bulgarian carrot
1 pumpkin pepper
1 bhut jolokia
1 jamaican hot chocolate
1 bird's eye (currently DOA cos i ripped off bothe cots and the small true leaf while trying to take off the helmet head)
1 habanero

I bought a set of 22 types of pepper seeds from hellhotpeppers.com .. Haha.

So far the numex twilight, pumpkin pepper and bulgarian carrots are growing their first and second true leaf but the rest are really lagging behind. In fact the habanero, jamaican hot chocolate and aji limons were the first to go in on february 27th. They're not even close to being as big as yours. But they all germinated within a week. 10days for JHC.

Should i be worried?

No not at all in my opinion, as I understand it, the hotter the pepper the slower the growth. Just maintain enough light, heat, water and nature will take care of the rest;) If you have some photos maybe try uploading them... Happy growing my friend :)

Should I leave these buds flower
or pick them, I have already picked a few to allow for re potting
But they continue to flourish :)
Doea anyone have any opinions on this?

On my first go round I just left the buds alone and ended up with like 5 pods but now the plants are pretty small and havnt put on any more pods. Although they are outside now and weather hasnt been ideal for fruiting. I'll pinch the buds on the new babies until they are bigger.

Back