• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

My first chilli pepper growing experience

tuta6uma.jpg

ynu2amam.jpg

The cupping and crinkling on the new growth could be a calcium deficiency. From what I've experienced though a true calcium deficiency is rather unlikely for most plants. It's worth a shot to add some Cal to your next feeding though. It will not change the appearance of the effected leaves, but will help any new growth.

*note -
Regular calcium carbonate (as is readily bought) is not immediately available to plants. You'll need cal acetate or cal nitrate.
You can make your own cal acetate by reacting cal carbonate (as found in cal supplements, Tums, etc...) with plain vinegar. The reaction produces cal acetate, CO2, and water - similar in looks to the classic 'baking soda and vinegar' reaction. Try adding a Tbs of this liquid to the next feed. (This is how I give my peppers cal)

The cupping and crinkling on the new growth could be a calcium deficiency. From what I've experienced though a true calcium deficiency is rather unlikely for most plants. It's worth a shot to add some Cal to your next feeding though. It will not change the appearance of the effected leaves, but will help any new growth.

*note -
Regular calcium carbonate (as is readily bought) is not immediately available to plants. You'll need cal acetate or cal nitrate.
You can make your own cal acetate by reacting cal carbonate (as found in cal supplements, Tums, etc...) with plain vinegar. The reaction produces cal acetate, CO2, and water - similar in looks to the classic 'baking soda and vinegar' reaction. Try adding a Tbs of this liquid to the next feed. (This is how I give my peppers cal)

Thanks for the advice and I will certainly try this and hopefully report back with positive results:)
If it is a cal deficiency would not affect all my pepper plants as they are all receiving equal treatment? Question from a newbie!!:)

rory said:
Thanks for the advice and I will certainly try this and hopefully report back with positive results:)
If it is a cal deficiency would not affect all my pepper plants as they are all receiving equal treatment? Question from a newbie!!:)
If their all receiving the same conditions, then it's unlikely that some would have the deficiency - while others did not. It won't hurt to try though. As stated before, a true Cal deficiency is pretty seldom despite what some may say. Most times it has to do with more of the watering schedule (and infrequencies). Be sure to really inspect the leaves in question for any insects too. As well, the chinense varieties do tend to require a bit more calcium than the rest.

On a side note... You can knock out those fungus gnats with some BT added to the watering (Bacillus Thurengesis). It's a natural bacterium that feeds on larvae - marketed for mosquitos, but kills fungus gnat larvae as well (organic, and has no effect on mammals).

The Weather forecast:)

For a small plant, it sure does put some great pods, which will eventually turn orange when ripe...Had a sample last week, obviously couldnt wait to try it:) There sure is a good kick off it, flavour wise it was still a bit green...Acapulco

I have 3 of these babies on the way, just called Indian(bought seeds online), its a wicked grower. About 3 weeks ago I did a sinfully ruthless act and topped 2 of them, I felt so bad after. But honestly now 3 weeks on you immediately see the difference, will try and get a photo of all 3 later, the 2 that I topped have grown into nice bushes with 3 maybe 4 stems whereas the on I havent topped is slightly smaller in height and has only 1 stem??! Do I feel better now? Well a little bit, but its a tough call...

My Charapita s love the sun and is begginng to show plenty of buds. I really love green green colour and the bushiness of this one, cant wait for the yellow balls of fire!! :)

This is one of 2 Apache F1 and is really leading the way at the moment in terms of early production, however it is taking quite some time to ripen up, I estimate a month...

This one is called a Sorrento, an Italian breed. Quite tall, at least a foot tall and is just beginning to show pods which are growing at a tremendous rate, they are only a few days here in this shot...

This is another Charapita with another Acapulco in the background!

And this is my pepper gaurdian....:)

Just found some short term guests....

So just a quick photo update,

Apache pods almost ready, its been a lonnnng time coming...

Indiano, producing lots of flowers, still waiting pods...

Sorrento, not the best picture, but huge pods growing...

Acapulco, producing some fireballs :)

Bird Charapita finally throwing some shapes...

I unearthed this fella today, any ideas

Hi rory, your plants are looking really good!

The problem with the C. baccatums might be thrips. C. baccatum is very sensitive to the little buggers. They are very hard to spot and can resemble very small flecks of potting mix or rubbish that has splashed up onto the undersides of the leaves. Some of my C. baccatum plants have displayed very similar damage when under attack.

This guy looks like a hover fly:

rory said:

Awesome to have around. They parasite the hell out of aphids. :party:

They fluffy white guy in your last pic I think is "mealybug destroyer", another good guy (despite looking like an evil mealybug--which I guess would work in it's favour). Also awesome to have around. Not only do they destroy mealybugs but aphids as well. I used to kill them thinking they were mealybugs. :banghead:

Indeed the aphids will be short term guests with these two around. ;)

I love your pepper guardian too! My last pepper guardian would hang around and sleep next to my plants like she was literally guarding them. She was oddly very respectful of them. My current one has a lot to learn about how to guard but at least her disinterest in my plants is better than a hungry, playful or curious interest. ;)

EDIT:

I forgot to mention, the brown thing you unearthed might be soldier fly larvae. It's a decomposer.

Hi rory, your plants are looking really good!

The problem with the C. baccatums might be thrips. C. baccatum is very sensitive to the little buggers. They are very hard to spot and can resemble very small flecks of potting mix or rubbish that has splashed up onto the undersides of the leaves. Some of my C. baccatum plants have displayed very similar damage when under attack.

This guy looks like a hover fly:

Awesome to have around. They parasite the hell out of aphids. :party:

They fluffy white guy in your last pic I think is "mealybug destroyer", another good guy (despite looking like an evil mealybug--which I guess would work in it's favour). Also awesome to have around. Not only do they destroy mealybugs but aphids as well. I used to kill them thinking they were mealybugs. :banghead:

Indeed the aphids will be short term guests with these two around. ;)

I love your pepper guardian too! My last pepper guardian would hang around and sleep next to my plants like she was literally guarding them. She was oddly very respectful of them. My current one has a lot to learn about how to guard but at least her disinterest in my plants is better than a hungry, playful or curious interest. ;)

EDIT:

I forgot to mention, the brown thing you unearthed might be soldier fly larvae. It's a decomposer.

Gasificada, great reply than you, very insightful and helpful. I m gonna leave those little white fluff balls hang around so and hope they keep the bad guys at bay.
As for my Baccatums, Brazilian Pumpkin, I m putting it down to that they dont like the sun too strong? I have carefully inspected the leaves more times than I care to count and couldnt anything not even find aphids:) I ve noticed just after midday when the sun becomes hot and strong if I move them in the shade they stay good. Otherwise their leaves become limp and maybe this causes the wrinkling? I am no expert and have honestly no idea but for the moment this seems to be working.
Cant figure it out tho as I guessed that all chillies love the heat and sun. Possible tropical plant that likes hot humid conditions but not dry direct sunlight!!
Thankfully now there appears to be flower buds forming...

Thanks again for your reply:)
... Oh as for my Pepper Gaurdian, she is the same very respectful of my plants just sleeps near them, watching:). As for my other cat, younger male, he prefers to curl up around the base of the stem and sleep, squished?? Argggghhh lol

Hey just an update,
Failed to find any products here containing calcium/carbonate, and also found it difficult to locate epsom salts. I m useless/lazy I know. But in the end I put my faith in nature and guess what, so far, nature is a force far greater than me and for sure will out live me. It seems to have 'corrected/ re balanced itself again, and thankfully almost everything is blooming.
As you can see from the photos above nature sent some predators to restore the balance. :) Less is More sometimes in terms of interference.

Thank you:)

Congrats on your first ripe peppers, welcome to the addiction!

Thanks, I am well and truly addicted( now I m off to my drug dealer, I mean garden centre) Lol

rory said:
I am no expert and have honestly no idea but for the moment this seems to be working.

Hey, don't let me say otherwise... if it works, it works! :dance:

rory said:
Cant figure it out tho as I guessed that all chillies love the heat and sun. Possible tropical plant that likes hot humid conditions but not dry direct sunlight!!

I always hear it being said how you should put chillies out in full sun... only I'm not buying it either! Filtered-sun/part-shade works so much better. Especially if you have a brutal sun where you are. Heck, some chilli plants do perfectly fine in full shade in the thick of summer here.

Winter sun on the other hand, yeah, they do lap that up.

rory said:
Less is More sometimes in terms of interference.

One thing I've learned... less is more almost always in terms of interference. ;)

We love babying our little babies but I really don't think they like it at all. Unless, of course, we are rescuing them from that big meanie, the sun! They'll love you for it forever more. :lol:

That little annuum does look wonderful! Do you know what type it is?

Yes indeed, its called an Acapulco, originating from Mexico. Its a small bush that is a ferocious bloomer putting out more pods than I can handle!! I m thinking about trying to turn it into a bonsai!?

Back